IAI Lavi

Just in case of interest, here's the latest progres of my friend's Lavi !

Of special note are the outward canted pylons.

Deino

Attachments

• Lavi TD Bekim 1.jpg
    Lavi TD Bekim 1.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 408
  • Lavi TD Bekim 2.jpg
    Lavi TD Bekim 2.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 411
  • Lavi TD pylons 1.jpg
    Lavi TD pylons 1.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 464
It's a nearly full scratch-build in 1/32 ... here's the WIP.report:

And reagrding the pylons: YES, the outer wing pylons were canted outward.

Deino

Deino said:
And reagrding the pylons: YES, the outer wing pylons were canted outward.

Deino

Hi Deino, I don't think he was doubting, I think he was asking why they canted them outward? I would like to know as well. Was it for aerodynamic reasons, or was it based on where they had to connect the pylon to the wing structure, yet still have the store be able to clear other stores/drop tanks on more inboard pylons?

For those interested, part 1 of an article on the Lavi by Shlomo Aloni (translated by Alexis Rocher) is featured in the current Le Fana de L'Aviation, November 2013.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Desk-Model-Prototype-IAI-LAVI-avion-mee-aviation-/301779231333?hash=item464371a265:g:tUQAAOSw5ZBWLT66

Attachments

• Lavi 1.jpg
    Lavi 1.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 285
  • Lavi 2.jpg
    Lavi 2.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 251
  • Lavi 3.jpg
    Lavi 3.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 279
A secret document dated 3 September 1977 mentioned Weizman's "crazy idea" to develop a "post F-16" aircraft with Iran.

https://www.wikileaks.org/plusd/cables/1977STATE211727_c.html

SUBJECT: FMS SUPPORT OF KFIR PROGRAM AND NEW AIRCRAFT DEVELOPMENT

" 3. I THEN TURNED TO HIS "CRAZY IDEA" CONCERNING JOINT ISRAELI-IRANIAN CO-PRODUCTION OF A POST F-16 AIRCRAFT (WITH OR WITHOUT U.S. ASSISTANCE) "

Kobi Richter - Opinion: I Opposed Building Israeli Fighter Jet Based on the Truth
Summary by Alert 5.
Cost and performance killed the Lavi
Kobi Richter, the former Israeli Air Force Weapons Department head, wrote this op-ed on why he had supported the decision to cancel the indigenous Lavi fighter.
He explained that the development team was having financial woes in completing the program, in order to meet the target of delivering the aircraft to the air force, sacrifices have to be made on the jet’s performance. This will lead to a platform that is similar to the F-16.
Israel will also have to build up the support system for 200 Lavis and this will put further strain on the budget. The F-16 was already inducted into service with the necessary ground support in place.

Read more (paywall) at: https://www.haaretz.com/opinion/.premium-1.815182

Cutaway IAI Lavi retouched by Motocar

Attachments

• Cutaway IAI Lavi 4b.jpg
    Cutaway IAI Lavi 4b.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 872
Nice find! Thanks.

Very nice, would have been a very good lightweight air to air and air to ground aircraft. reading the document, see all the different configurations was very interesting. The twin-tailboom configuration had very good AOA performance but the single tail was considered more low risk structurally and time-wise. Maybe a future Lavi follow on would have been twin tailed! For the price, was a phenomenal design.

View: https://youtu.be/SNJccWgDl10

Attachments

• Lavi-Shilka.jpg
    Lavi-Shilka.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 223
  • Lavi-EOPod.jpg
    Lavi-EOPod.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 187
  • Lavi-Cockpit.jpg
    Lavi-Cockpit.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 179
  • Lavi-Ground.jpg
    Lavi-Ground.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 207

Attachments

• some-Lavi.jpg
    some-Lavi.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 114
Merged some Lavi topics.

Here's some nice art of the single seat Lavi. Source: Facebook Lavi Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1604870129783904
I know that this is historically not true but Lavi really looks like the love child of F-16A and J-10A.

This isn't to say that the design was handed over to the Chinese (since they've been working on delta wing designs for a long time by then) but rather I find it interesting that in the 80s and 90s everyone except the US went for delta wing designs.

I mean, what could be the conceptual reason for it? I can't think of a convergent requirement that both multiple different European countries and PRC would need at the end of the Cold War. Even if it was under a different politixal climate, countries at such different geographical ends of the world would possibly not be in need for similar aircraft performance-wise.

Delta wings are easier to design: they are thick, extensively supported by available scientific literature, short span (less fluttering), less prone to torsion and inherently sturby (structure).

This is why they were everywhere when we started to go beyond Mach1 and are still present today.

Then, when I look at a J-10, the only thing I see, personally, is a Mirage 2000 wing...

Attachments

• Aviation_magazine_international___les_[...]_bd6t5340474q.JPEG
    Aviation_magazine_international___les_[...]_bd6t5340474q.JPEG
    456.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Aviation_magazine_international___les_[...]_bd6t5340474q (1).JPEG
    Aviation_magazine_international___les_[...]_bd6t5340474q (1).JPEG
    467.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Aviation_magazine_international___les_[...]_bd6t5340474q (2).JPEG
    Aviation_magazine_international___les_[...]_bd6t5340474q (2).JPEG
    473.7 KB · Views: 51
Wow, my first post! Can’t believe that was eight years ago

Hey, I cut and pasted the (dead) link into the Internet Archive: and it works !

Direct access to the (supposedly lost) Flight International free archive.

Hey, I cut and pasted the (dead) link into the Internet Archive: and it works !

Direct access to the (supposedly lost) Flight International free archive.

Only a proportion of the pages were cached. I do this when I read a topic with broken links to Flight Archive.