Junkers Projects and Prototypes 1919 - 1939

raravia

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Well

Let´s break this topic with a two very interesting projects from profesor Junkers, both of them flying wings. The first one i found it in a websitre dedicated to junkers aircraft is the Junkers 1000 a colossus wich should be transport a lot of people, the design is from 1919, a very advanced aircraft for this time.

The second is another flying wing project of 1930, had six engines, i suppose it could transport a respectable amount of passengers. I would like to find more info about those old giants.

Saludos

Attachments

• junkers j 1000 copy.jpg
    junkers j 1000 copy.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,820
  • Junkers_1930_100t.jpg
    Junkers_1930_100t.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,684
Saludos Raravia!

You have info about this and a lot more giant aircraft from all times at "Giants of the Sky" by Bill Gunston. Ed PSL. ISBN 1-85260-258-9.

Prof. Hugo Junkers worked on a series of giant passenger aircraft

By late 1919, the JG-1 which was a civil version of its R.I bomber (a very advanced monoplane bomber from mid-1917. see The German Giants by GH Haddow and PM Grosz. Ed Putnam. ISBN. 0 85177 812 7) was cancelled by the Allied Control Comission when construction of the prototype has been initiated.
JG-1 had 4 Junkers L2a engines at 230 hp each latter changed to Liberty at 400 hp. Span was 125 ft (41 m aprox)

The R-Flugboot (giant flying boat) first drawings dated June 1918. It was intended to be powered by 12 engines about 1000 hp each. Span was 262 feet (86 m). Loaded weight: 48 tonnes.

In 1921 replaced the R-Flugboot with the Junkerissime. An all wing aircraft with twin booms it has to be powered by 4 Diessel engines at 700 hp each. Wingspan was 206 feet (68 m) and maximum passenger capacity was 60.

By 1925, Junkers completed its dream design, the J1000. Canard, twin hull and all wing configuration. Capacity: 100 passenger. Span: 262 feet. No information available about the engines. People boarded up stairs from the trailing edge.

A bigger desgign was proposed (I would love to see drawings about this monster): Wing cord between 19-20 meters, double decker layout. Span: 425-450 feet (140-148 m). Capacity: 100 to 1000 passenger

I have found nothing about this 1930 design attached to your post. But design data and weight (100 ton) could be applicable to the design I have described in the paragraph above, what do you think?

Antonio

For the record...

Planned engines for the Junkers J-1000 Ente project:
4 Diesel engines of 3000PS
Span:70 metres.

Source: Nurflügel - Waffen-Arsenal Special band 18 Hans-Peter Dabrowski

The 1930's Junkers flying wing was proposed by Hans -Justus Meier and planned
for TransAtlantic flights.
100 ton take-off weight.100 passengers.Ten Diesel engines of 1000P.S.

Source : Nurflügel - Die Geschichte der Horten - Flugzeuge 1933-1960
Reimar Horten . Peter Selinger
Weishaupt Verlag . Graz Austria

Regards,

Paul.

Fabián,

The book is here:

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?an=bill+gunston&ph=2&isbn=1852602589

My dears,

they were a really projects such as Junkers Ju-77,see also:
http://www.mda.org.uk/aircraft/10449.htm
it was the second greatest aircraft site after this site in my
opinion.

Dear hesham,

The Junkers Ju-77 is in fact the EF-77 project.(Entwicklungs Flugzeug)
a further development of the Ju-52/3m.

In fact , all you ever wanted to know about Junkers is on:
http://www.junkers.de.vu/

Enjoy!

this Junkers project dates from the early 1930's and icludes a design to house a float plane.

Attachments

• junkers.gif
    junkers.gif
    13.3 KB · Views: 2,387
Thanks dear Chuck,

that site have names of unknown projects (only names);
http://luftwaffe35.ifrance.com/html/junkers.htm

Hi,

by the way, the site which I was mentioned it yesterday had
a many companies projects and not only for Junkers.

Junkers Seaplane proposal (J 40 ?)

Hello guys,

the picture above ( "Hugo Junkers Pionier der Luftfahrt", Wolfgang Wagner, B&G ) only comes as a teaser, since my doubt isn`t exactly about this particular project, but probably an off-shot.

in August 1934 the RLM set a requirement for a reconnaissance seaplane with 5 to 6 seats. They were presented to Dornier, Hamburger Flugzeugbau and Junkers. The dornier project became the Do24, the Ha/Blohm&Voss application the Bv138 and the Junkers one turned to be a "DOPPELFLUGBOOT" proposal ( text taken from "Wasserflugzeuge-Flugboote...", by Hans-Juergen Becker, B&G verlag). Bruno Lange`s "Typenhandbuch der Luftfahrttechnik" only refers to it as a "ZWILLINGS-FLUGBOOT". Apparently it was to be a seaplane with twin fuselages, much in the line of the above portrayed.
Is anyone here enlighted in this "seabird"?

Attachments

• Junkers2.gif
    Junkers2.gif
    57.4 KB · Views: 647
Re: Junkers Seaplane proposal

According to Fred Gütschow in de 'Die Deutschen Flugboote' Motorbuch - Stuttgart 1978
it should be a -1928- design for a ' freitragender Schulterdecker mit doppeltem Bootsrumpf'
(shoulderwing design with double hull)

No type number known.

Hi Lark,

nice to have you here. The picture relates to that particular project, but I am searching for a 6 year older design, also with double fuselage, a contender to the "Flying Clog".

Würger , in the book you mention "Wasserflugzeuge etc.." there a 1936
Hillman project for a double fuselage military flying boat project powered by four
engines (two in tanden).

Hillmann was the former chiefdesigner by Schütte-Lanz.Maybe he worked in
coöperation for Junkers at that time...

Hi Lark,

thanks for your concern. Unfortunatelly I only have a few copies from that book. Can you please transcript the text involved? I believe there is no sketch of this "bird", is it? All the best.

Lark,

In "Wasserflugzeuge..." I can only find reference to a 1925 Hillmann project for a "Atlantikflugboot", with twin hulls, yet with 6 engines.

Are you speaking about "Die deutsche Luftfahrt Band 21: Wasserflugzeuge- Flugboot, Amphibien, Schwimmerflugzeuge" ? ::)
from
http://www.tracyhancock.com/WoP_books/WoP_book.html

Yes, this is the one ,written by Hans-Jürgen Becker.
The Hillmann project is on page 32.

Hello Lark,

sorry to ask again, but can you post/transcribe the image/text pertaining to the Hillmann project?

Please , take a quick look in your P.M's Würger..

Preliminary drafts Junkers Record-EF and fighter Ju EF 018 (similar in layout)
Ju EF 115.0 - two-sitter Schnellbomber / high-speed bomber, 2 x Jumo 211J engine,
Heinz J. Nowarra "Die Deutsche luft-rustung 1933-1945" Vol.3 pp133-142

Attachments

• Ju Record-EF.jpg
    Ju Record-EF.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 757
  • Ju EF 018.jpg
    Ju EF 018.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 584
The Junkers EFo-18, referred to as "pre war jet record aircraft" was one in a
series of configurations for a single seat jet fighter from around 1938/39, designed
for wind tunnel testing. The development of the jet engine had led to demands
to investigate, how to use them in the best way. Those designs were not projects,
just tests to determine the best shape and position of wings, fuselage, engine
attachements and so on.

Junkers SR known as "Junkers EF.010"
From
-German Jet Genesis by David Masters , Jane's 1982
-Die Deutsche Luftrüstung ,Band 3, by Heinz J. Nowarra
-Unicraft Models

Attachments

• Escanear0002.jpg
    Escanear0002.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 807
  • Escanear0001.jpg
    Escanear0001.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 864
  • 1000000000000.jpg
    1000000000000.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 913
Astonishing !!

FWIW, I remember reading about those rather underpowered contemporary flying boats that had to taxi far out to sea before their fuel loads burned off sufficiently for them to even reach surface effect...

hesham as a Junkers fan I'm very happy with your find.

What the source of all this information? I can't find it on the site and sadly I can't read german.
Because I can see a lot of wonderful pictures. Could be great to have them on a bigger resolution.

Alcides said:
hesham as a Junkers fan I'm very happy with your find.

What the source of all this information? I can't find it on the site and sadly I can't read german.
Because I can see a lot of wonderful pictures. Could be great to have them on a bigger resolution.

Hi Alcides,

in the early section of the google translation,you will find under Preliminary six or seven
articles,click on each of them and you will see those projects by English language.

The original site is this one: http://www.ju-f13.de/
By clicking the different subitems, you can chose the themes, or simply click on the first point
under "Inhaltsverzeichnis" (contents), scroll down and click on the link on the right-hand-side
of "weiter" (next, at the book symbol) to get to the next point.
What I've read so far, the author Angelika Hofmann really did a good job. BTW, she participated, too,
in this site about Hugo Junkers :http://www.junkers.de/

I have just finished an East German book (source details below) on Hugo Junkers career.

The text has references to Junkers Project numbers which I had never come across before (probably familar to Junkers aficionados !).

For completeness, here are Gunter Schmitt's cross-references of project types:

Junkers Project 1 - Junkers J3 - first light metal aircraft
Junkers Project 2 - Junkers J5 - small light , low-wing cantilever monoplane in three planned versions designed but never built
Junkers Project 3 - Junkers J6 - high-wing cantilever monoplane from August 1917. At the wars end the protoype was half-completed at Dessau
Junkers Project 4 - Junkers R1 - four engine giant monoplane heavy bomber project in two versions, both low-wing.
Junkers Project 5 - Junkers R2 - twin engine giant monoplane heavy bomber project.
Junkers Project 6 - Junkers R3 - four engine giant flying boat project.
Junkers Project 7 - Junkers J12 - four seat passenger aeroplane project.
Junkers Project 8 - Junkers J14 - ten seat passenger commercial project.
Junkers Project 9 - Junkers R4 - three engine giant monoplane 1920 project.
Junkers Project 10 - Junkers JG1 - four engine project for a mid-wing monoplane, a 1920 Schulterdecker.
Junkers Project 11 - Junkers Junkerissime - large land and marine aircraft project with four engines for 60-64 passengers from 1921.
Junkers Project 12 - Junkers J1000 - the design named Riesenente (Giant Duck!), 1924 flying wing project.
Junkers Project 13 - Junkers Ju.X - transport seaplane project derived from the Junkerissime in 1928.
Junkers Project 14 - Junkers Ju.Y - 100 ton transport project.

Sources:
Hugo Junkers and his Aircraft (Gunter Schmitt) Transpress (GDR) 1988 ISBN 3344003038

Hi Cy-27,

can you please continue the transcription of Junkers aircraft projects as far as the book goes? Does it builds also on post-Hugo Junkers?
Cheers

The book covers Junkers designs up to the death of Hugo Junkers in February 1935. Subsequent aircraft designs by the firm are not covered.

I will post projects mentioned that are not covered elsewhere on the forum as and when I get free time.

More on Junkers Project numbers ...

Junkers Project 7 - Junkers J12 - four seat passenger aeroplane project.

This was a Junkers project to develop th J10 into a four seat (1 pilot, 3 passengers) light passenger aircraft. Parts from the J10 were to be utilised but the actual fuselage was higher and wider. Design work was completed in January 1919. Work was halted when difficulties arose with mating the cabin to the fuselage. All data below is estimated.

Engine: Mercedes D IIIau (118 kW / 160 hp) engine
Wing Span: 12.25 m
Length: 8.25 m
Height: 3.00 m
Wing Area: 25.00 sq m
Maximum Speed: 170 km/h
Ceiling: 6,000 m

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Junkers Project 8 - Junkers J14 - ten seat passenger commercial project.

This strutted monoplane had a crew of two and eight passengers in four rows of two. The final plans for the machine were dated 10 July 1919 and showed a twin tail with two wing mounted engines.

Engine: 2 x Daimler D IIIa (118 kW / 160 hp) or 2 x BMW IIIa (136 kW / 185 hp) engines
Wing Span: 24.30 m
Length: 12.9 m
Height: 3.50 m
Fuselage Width: 3.8 m

Source:

Hugo Junkers and his Aircraft (Gunter Schmitt) Transpress (GDR) 1988 ISBN 3344003038

More on the Junkers Project numbers

Junkers Project 9 - Junkers R4 - three engine giant monoplane 1920 project.

The draft plan for this design was 22 April 1920. Distinctive central teardrop shaped fuselage with a nose engine and two more embedded in the wings. Flight deck for two, with accomodation fo 24 passengers in six rows of four with a central aisle. All details below are estimated.

Engines: 3 x Unknown engines
Wing Span: 38.0 m
Length: 24.0 m
Height: 5.50 m
Wing Area: 240 sq m

Junkers Project 10 - Junkers JG1 - four engine project for a mid-wing monoplane, a 1920 Schulterdecker.
A trial construction started in 1920. Even with two of the four engine unavailable, it was believed that the JG1 could still fly at a height of 1,000 m at 110 km/h. Those parts finished by 1921 were destroyed due to the terms of the Treaty of Versailles restricting certain constuctions. Hovever, two sections of fuselage and one wing section (see image below) were hidden in the Junkers teaching exhibition, only to be destroyed in 1945.

Engines: 4 x Unknown (191 kW / 260 hp) engines
Wing Span: 36.0 m
Wing Area: sq m
Empty Weight: 9,000 kg

Junkers Project 11 - Junkers Junkerissime - large land and marine aircraft project with four engines for 60-64 passengers from 1921.

see http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,5965.msg48584.html

Junkers Project 12 - Junkers J1000 - the design named Riesenente (Giant Duck!)

A 1924 flying wing project / cavity wing canard design.

see http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,177.msg1006.html#msg1006
and
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,6893.msg150772.html#msg150772

Sources:

Attachments

• Junkers_JG1_Flügel Abschnitt_11_April_1921.jpg
    Junkers_JG1_Flügel Abschnitt_11_April_1921.jpg
    758.3 KB · Views: 392
The last of the Junkers project number 1 to 14...

Junkers Project 13 - Junkers "Ju.X" - a transport seaplane project derived from the Junkerissime in 1928.

A future development of the Junkerissime flying boat design from 1921. No records exist for an official designation in the Junkers Dessau archive so Schmitt allocated "Ju.X" to this type.

Work on this large passenger flying boat started in 1928. Two fuselage hulls with a new box tail unit which joined the two hulls. It had raised pairs of airscrews above the wing in tandem. The cockpit was on the port hull only which gave the design an asymmetrical appearance head-on. No technical details.

Junkers Project 14 - Junkers "Ju.Y" - 100 ton transport project.

As with the Ju.X, no company records exist for the designation of this project in the Junker Dessau archive so Schmitt allocated "Ju.Y" to this type. The outline design plan carried the reference "F.B.5243" and "Nurflugel-Flugzeug".

It was a 1930 design for a giant transport flying wing. It was to have ten diesel engines integrated into the thick middle wing area. It was to have an intermediate transmission and extension shaft to drive the ten pusher propellers located in the trailing wing.

There were possible two versions of this design, one with a tail and short rear fuselage and one without. It had a swept back outer wing. All details below estimates only.

Engines: 10 x Unknown Diesel (753kW / 1,000 hp)
Crew: 20
Passengers: 100
Maximum Take-off Weight: 100 tons
Freight Payload: 5 tons

Sources: