Register here

Author Topic: DDG-1000  (Read 86984 times)

Online bobbymike

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: DDG-1000
« Reply #360 on: December 04, 2017, 03:57:27 pm »
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

Charles W. Eliot

Offline fredymac

« Reply #361 on: December 05, 2017, 07:21:53 am »
DDG 1001 starts sea trials

Online bobbymike

Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

Charles W. Eliot

Offline Colonial-Marine

• Fighting the UAV mafia.
« Reply #363 on: December 12, 2017, 05:31:08 pm »
Back in the days when we were going to build 32 DD(X) and follow that with a new guided missile cruiser were they any plans for new missiles that would take advantage of the greater VLS cell width of the Mark 57 VLS? I imagine that extra width would have been useful for ballistic missile defense weaponry for CG(X), back before that was cancelled at least.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

Offline marauder2048

• "I should really just relax"
« Reply #364 on: December 12, 2017, 06:01:17 pm »
Back in the days when we were going to build 32 DD(X) and follow that with a new guided missile cruiser were they any plans for new missiles that would take advantage of the greater VLS cell width of the Mark 57 VLS? I imagine that extra width would have been useful for ballistic missile defense weaponry for CG(X), back before that was cancelled at least.

Standard Missile 27. I think it's covered over in the Standard Missile topics section.

Online bobbymike

Charles W. Eliot

Offline sferrin

« Reply #366 on: January 12, 2018, 05:17:09 am »
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline TomS

« Reply #367 on: January 12, 2018, 11:35:51 am »
It almost makes me cry how badly this whole program has been handled.  There's no excuse for AGS to not be able to at least fire Army 155mm ammunition, which would be saving the Navy so much pain right now.

Offline _Del_

• CLEARANCE: Secret
  • I really should change my personal text
« Reply #368 on: January 12, 2018, 10:35:37 pm »
Are there concerns about the environment (corrosion?) that might make them shy away from the Army standard rounds? Or just normal Navy acquisition issues?

Offline Moose

« Reply #369 on: January 13, 2018, 08:04:14 am »
Are there concerns about the environment (corrosion?) that might make them shy away from the Army standard rounds? Or just normal Navy acquisition issues?
The barrel rifling and ammunition handling system were tailored to the LRLAP. One of the drivers for the DD-21 program to switch from VGAS to AGS was the ability to fire unguided rounds, I believe they were looking at both a Navy-specific round and something cross-compatible with the Army's. But my understanding  is that when the program was reorganized as DD(X) the cross-compatability was ditched and the Navy "dumb" round was subsequently cancelled. Anything you want to fire through AGS now has to be designed for it or fit in a sabot that has been designed for it, which is why the sub-caliber Vulcano and HVP have been mooted as options.

Offline donnage99

• "Robert Gates, is that you??" sublight
« Reply #370 on: January 17, 2018, 05:37:22 pm »
This is tragic.  So much money went into this.  And it's not like the prime contractor didn't deliver.  Considering by today's standard, the contractor did a quite competent job delivering something with so much new technology. 

Offline marauder2048

• "I should really just relax"
« Reply #371 on: January 17, 2018, 06:32:30 pm »

None of them can really meet the Navy's IM requirements particularly the hot gun barrel requirements.

Offline bring_it_on

• I really should change my personal text
« Reply #372 on: January 18, 2018, 09:14:20 am »
DDG 1000 Program Manager's Presentation  from SNA18.
Old radar types never die; they just phased array - Unknown

Online bobbymike

Charles W. Eliot

Offline seruriermarshal

« Reply #374 on: February 05, 2018, 04:20:41 pm »
DDG-1001 ;D