Register here

Author Topic: DDG-1000  (Read 105484 times)

Offline robunos

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • You're Mad, You Are.....
Re: DDG-1000
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2009, 02:53:50 am »
Following a link in another thread I found this :-

http://blog.wired.com/defense/2008/08/navys-stealth-d.html

cheers,
         Robin.
Where ARE the Daleks when you need them......

Offline xmotex

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 02:12:21 pm »
Interesting, the discussion in that article about the "classified new threat" that led to the reevaluation of the Zumwalts.

The new threat, which≠ didnít exist a couple years ago, is a land-launched ballistic missile that converts to a cruise missile.

I'm aware of the Chinese guided IRBM program, but a "ballistic missile that converts to a cruise missile"?

I'm having trouble figuring out how that would work, and what the utility of it would be.

Offline Colonial-Marine

• Fighting the UAV mafia.
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2009, 08:06:47 pm »
I believe the DDG-1000 doesn't have SM-3 capability but I doubt claims that it doesn't have either SM-2 or SM-6 capability. Until I see a source like Janes or another more involved in the defense world confirm this, I don't buy it.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

Offline donnage99

• "Robert Gates, is that you??" sublight
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2010, 07:48:36 pm »
Latest news:

Half of the radar systems of the planned ddg-1000 has been scrapped (it was intended to have dual band radar).  Now, before you jump to the conclusion that this is yet another plot from the liberals to undermine our defense, IT'S NOT! Beside obviously saving 600 million dollars, it will open up space for the newer radar that is currently being developed, which has additional capabilities for BMD (which should make it more relevant, and perhaps more justified for continued production if such need arises.).
http://www.navytimes.com/news/2010/06/navy_radar_cuts_060410w/

On the side note, BAE videos:

Offline Colonial-Marine

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2010, 07:35:20 am »
Is this new radar under development also a S-band radar?
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

Offline donnage99

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2010, 01:07:12 pm »
Yes.  It's a radar that is being developed to be retrofit into ddg-51. 

Offline Hammer Birchgrove

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2010, 01:36:28 pm »
Interesting, the discussion in that article about the "classified new threat" that led to the reevaluation of the Zumwalts.

The new threat, which≠ didnít exist a couple years ago, is a land-launched ballistic missile that converts to a cruise missile.

I'm aware of the Chinese guided IRBM program, but a "ballistic missile that converts to a cruise missile"?

I'm having trouble figuring out how that would work, and what the utility of it would be.
Can it turn into a robot as well?  :P
To the heroism of the Resistance Fighters -- past, present and future -- this post is respectfully dedicated.

Offline Colonial-Marine

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2010, 06:37:51 am »
Any word on how seriously the Navy is considering using the 155mm AGS on the Flight III Burkes? Also I've heard many claim the unguided 155mm ammo once planned was cancelled, and the DDG-1000 will only carry the LRLAP. Has this been confirmed?

Offline JFC Fuller

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2010, 03:20:10 pm »
Any word on how seriously the Navy is considering using the 155mm AGS on the Flight III Burkes? Also I've heard many claim the unguided 155mm ammo once planned was cancelled, and the DDG-1000 will only carry the LRLAP. Has this been confirmed?

To my knowledge they are not. Burke Flight III is about ABM with the reduced antenna size AMDR and SM-3 and not about fire support though it should be able to carry Tomahawk.

Offline Colonial-Marine

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2010, 07:23:17 pm »
To my knowledge they are not. Burke Flight III is about ABM with the reduced antenna size AMDR and SM-3 and not about fire support though it should be able to carry Tomahawk.

So much for the Navy addressing that whole fire support issue, Marines must be pissed.

Offline Demon Lord Razgriz

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2010, 12:04:20 am »
If this keeps up with the Navy screwing them for fire support, the Marine should acquire a few barges and mount M777s on them. :/

Offline donnage99

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2010, 12:37:09 am »
Changing potential scenarios in the future can easily extend the production of the ddg-1000, I'm guessing. 

Offline donnage99

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2010, 12:39:41 am »

It's called cruise missile from space ;D

Offline Sea Skimmer

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2010, 01:58:56 am »
So much for the Navy addressing that whole fire support issue, Marines must be pissed.

Marine plans seem to be evolving in step with the navy to stand off over 200nm, not just 25nm as was thought to be sufficient 10 years ago when AGS really got going. AGS can only demonstrate about 78nm of range, the 100nm requirement proved impossible. The rate of fire was also reduced. So the AGS simply does not meet the requirements laid out for it and those requirements were not ambitious enough in the first place.

We are just going to have to figure out a different way then a naval gun to meet support requirements at that kind of range.  Iím thinking the USAF MQ-9 swarm will end up with that job in the highly unlikely event that the USMC launches an opposed landing ever again. The Marines will be very lucky simply if they are allowed to keep the EFV program. If Gates has his way they will most likely fund it by cutting back total Marine strength. That isnít really a bad thing, the Marines were fine at 177,000 personal in the late 1990s, now theyíve gotten well over 200,000.

Offline Colonial-Marine

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2010, 09:41:35 am »
In that case I have to question the Navy's whole premise of standing off at over 200nm, obviously your worrying about anti-ship missilse if your dealing with somebody like the PRC, but I imagine most amphibious landings in the future will occur against countries that don't have tons of modern shore-based anti-ship missiles.

An ex-Marine I know used to argue that the Navy should just get something with plenty of armor on it, several Phalanx CIWS, loaded with MLRS type rockets and guns, then proceed to get close and shoot it out.