Jay Miller's X-Planes 2 and Other Research Aircraft

flateric

ACCESS: USAP
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone have this book and can tell what's inside?

http://www.amazon.com/X-Planes-2-Other-Research-Aircraft/dp/1857801962/sr=1-12/qid=1157748880/ref=sr_1_12/104-4265348-1183151?ie=UTF8&s=books

Thanks!

Re: Is Jay Miller's X-Planes 2 and Other Research Aircraft worth buying?

second editon? I have the first, until X-31 and I love it. It is full of info

I emailed Jay for clarification - I think its a sequel, not a new edition.

That's correct. X-Planes was already updated and runs through the X-45. Great book, by the way, so if this is the next volume it should also be outstanding.

I'm curious why it's appearance went so quiet.

Maybe because the X-planes themselves went so quiet? ;D

Wow, I didn't know this book existed! I'll be getting this. :D His work is always top notch.

Message fom Jay Miller:

No, the second volume of The X-Planes has not been published. I can tell you, in fact, that it is still a year or more away from completion. I am working on it slowly but surely, but progress has been impeded by other commitments, a very hot summer(!), and a lot of traveling. For what it's worth, and to answer your question, the thrust of the book will be to cover the following:

(1) All X-planes that have been formally announced since the last edition was published (i.e., the X-46 thru X-52)
(2) The Navy D-558-I and -II programs
(3) All military research aircraft such as the XV-1 thru XV-15 (and the associated VZ-series)
(4) All military research testbeds
(5) All civilian research testbeds
(6) All civil and military RPV/UAV research testbeds

And there are probably other categories I'm just not thinking of at the moment.

Thanks for explanation! The only thing I can't understand why Amazon tells that 'Usually ships within 4 to 6 weeks.' like it's not preorder. And - 'Publisher: Midland Publishing (June 30, 2006)" June is passed away pretty much time ago. Another Amazon bug.

Message fom Jay Miller:
No, the second volume of The X-Planes has not been published.
:(! But why does it appear on amazon.co.uk with a rather detailed synopsis ???

[...]
(1) All X-planes that have been formally announced since the last edition was published (i.e., the X-46 thru X-52)
[...]
X-52? Typo, or did I miss an X plane lately?

Andreas Parsch said:
[...]
[...]
X-52? Typo, or did I miss an X plane lately?
Ok, I couldn't let this one rest ;)!

Unofficial information from the Pentagon:
X-52 was requested but disapproved because of potential confusion with B-52 designation. Instead, X-53A was allocated to a program which researches "active aeroelastic wing technology for applications on existing and new aircraft designs".

However, no information about the specific air vehicle, to which X-53A applies, came forward. There was an AAW (Active Aeroelastic Wing) program going on at the AFRL from 2002 to mid-2005, using a modified F-18. There were follow-on programs (e.g. here and here), and my guess is that X-53A has been reserved for a possible full scale flying AAW testbed.

Any idea why Jay Miller put off plans to publish the book X-Planes 2 and Other Research Aircraft?

Back
Top Bottom