Register here

Author Topic: Forthcoming: Italian Secret Projects  (Read 65421 times)

Offline Hikoki1946

• CLEARANCE: Secret
Forthcoming: Italian Secret Projects
« on: July 20, 2009, 06:22:44 am »
Thank you for your message!

I do bear excellent news. Ian Allan has green-lighted my Italian secret projects book proposal. But I won't be the only one at the helm on this one as this board's very own Skybolt will be sharing authoring duties with me. He was a natural choice with his top notch knowledge of Italian aircraft.

At this time, more than 50 of the most interesting Italian x-planes will be included in the text, spanning WW1 to a bit past WW2. Both military and civilian aircraft will be discussed.

Turn-in date for the book manuscript is January 2011 and the book may hit the shelves in the winter of 2011, possibly early 2012.

So, stay tuned!

Regards,

Ed

Mr Pelzig,

Needless to say sir, if ever such a book as your: "Italian Secret Projects" could actually materialize, you would be Johnathan Thompson's worthy 'successor' (at least here in the 'states') and he could be justly proud of you, and so should we!  (I believe this renowned automotive author is recently deceased? and it's a pity I just could not opportune to see him in person, when I was in California many years ago.)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 02:19:03 am by overscan »

Offline AeroFranz

• Aerospace Engineer
  • Top Contributor
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Italian Secret Projects
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 11:38:41 am »
That is indeed EXCELLENT news, thanks (or rather grazie mille) for filling a gap in the secret projects series. ;D
Please keep us posted with news of the progress. It will be hard to wait that long, but I am sure the wait will be well worth it ;)
All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics.   TSR.2 got the first three right - Sir Sydney Camm

Offline Antonio

• Global Moderator
Italian Secret Projects
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 03:02:37 pm »
Great news. I'll be tuned waiting to order my copy :)

Offline Drive

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
Italian Secret Projects
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 03:29:10 pm »
Certainly I will buy a copy of the book about Italian projects, I have been waiting for such a book for years!

Guido

Offline Circumspect

Italian Secret Projects
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 10:08:17 pm »
To Messrs. "Pelzig" and "Skybolt"

You lads are the only two on the whole planet who could ensure that such a book would, in fact, exist: so please repose yourselves in good health for our sake!  Needless to say, I am prompted to begin notifying every soul who could have (or, should have!) some interest in it, namely special: bookstore owners, IPMS officers and model-builders, magazine editors, museum curators and researchers, aero engineers and pilots with Italian family backgrounds, enthusiast websites et al, here in the States.

In a few month's time, I will remark extensively on two contemporaneous WWII documents:

- NACA-TM-1010 (report: Mar '42/Washington D.C.): S. Campini "Analytical Theory of the Campini Propulsion System" (A wartime National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics translation in 69 pp.)

- "Caproni-Campini Aircraft and Allied Developments in Italy" as reported by R.A.F. Squadron leader F.E. Pickles, from a visit through Rome, Italy in June 1944. G-2 Division, SHAEF (SECRET-declassified) 84 pp. (complete photocopy courtesy of Giorgio Apostolo)

The first report (sporting enough aerothermodynamic equations and graphs to have been my 4th-year propulsion textbook) is a sales pitch by Mr Campini on the viability and sufficiency of his method.  The last report (likewise containing much formulae, graphs, tabulations, cross-sectional illustrations, and photos, etc.) describes jet-propulsion progress much beyond the original N.1 aircraft: with graphic descriptions on further airframe proposals using Campini's method, but also describing full-cycle gas-turbine powerplant proposals, in detail, superseding the original Campini method. (All this from a Rome intel-tour that never reached, as yet, into the Milan area, in the war's progress northwards.)

Circumspect

Offline Skybolt

• Top Contributor
Italian Secret Projects
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 01:06:13 am »
My dear circumspect, you'll soon find the almost all the info published till now on Campini come from those two documents.... unfortunately, Italian aviation historians for the most part tended to not cite their sources. The remaining info come from later Campini's article (e.g. the famous article on "L'Ala" magazine, January 1948. Other "revelations" come from interviews given by Campini's wife in the and 70s and 80s, after Campini's own death. You wll not find there the late-war application proposals of Campini system to high-altitude interceptors, like the Ca-183bis, essentially because the info base of those reports came from the surviving shreds of the Ministero dell'Aerenonautica archives in Rome and Guidonia the Allies found when they arrived there in June 1944, and on a couple of interviews with Ministero's functionaries who stayed in Rome (very negative on Campini's proposals). You'll find instead the much-maligned proposal(s) by Guidonia's engineers (Broglio and Ferri, above all) for modifying the Re-2005 with a Campini's system.
I may add that the there described turboprop was very sketchy and faced an unsormoutable barrier: we (Italy) had no the metallurgy skills to produce the high strenght alloys to build the turbine fans. And, BTW, to buld a real turbocompressor driven by exhaust gases. That's the reason we resorted to the Campini's system, that worked at much lower temperatures (Caproni Vizzola toyed with turbocompressors for a while and designed a couple of projects that used the DB-605 with a turbocompressor, Sagittario I (or was it II, ?) comes to mind). There are rumours that the turboprop was considered to engine a couple of Breda-Zappata projects.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 01:14:29 am by Skybolt »

Offline Firefly 2

Italian Secret Projects
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 03:46:50 pm »
By Jove, the series continues unexpected ways! I'm so exited!

Offline blackkite

• Don't laugh, don't cry, don't even curse, but.....
Re: Forthcoming: Italian Secret Projects
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 08:29:57 am »
 :o Hi Ed, I realize this topic now.
It's big news for me because I have no book for Italian secret projects.

Offline Skybolt

• Top Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 11:04:21 am »
VERY well, so we'll have at least a customer from the Rising Sun ! Spread the news ovr there, Blackkite San, please.

Offline airman

• my blogs
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 01:06:07 pm »
"January 2011 and the book may hit the shelves in the winter of 2011, possibly early 2012" : oh well before the end of world !!!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D
writers , bloggers , content-curators ,  music composer and passionate of militaria and uchronia

Offline blackkite

• Don't laugh, don't cry, don't even curse, but.....
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 04:38:49 pm »
Dear skybolt! I will do my best. But many Japanese air enthusiast will know this book soon by KOKU FAN, AIREVIEW, AIR WORLD magazine. Don't worry. 
Blackie

Offline archipeppe

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 02:31:43 am »
wonderful!!! I'm eager to have a copy....

Offline Farloccus

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 06:00:21 am »

Keep a copy for me too.

Offline Circumspect

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 10:35:08 pm »
Re: "The Canards of War"(DVD/Eureka Media 2009)

AERO CINEMA w/coordinated US marketing from Historic Aviation bookshop) released a surprising expose on the 'canard' concept, both Allied and Axis, covering (almost!) all the canard concepts to actually fly - excluding the merely tail-pusher types.  Unfortunately, this nascent (but now vaunted) British video/TV production blundered - by excluding Ambrosini's S.S.4 from any mention at all!

This latest 1/2-hr video began its revolutionary 'canard' subject on Focke Wulf's charming FW.19 "Duck" (a small late-20s feederliner-concept), which actually flew.  Then, continuing into its first 'scare' project: the FW.42 (an early-30s twin-medium bomber, with performance scarcely matching a Martin B-10, except in range). Here, AERO CINEMA feeds the typical UK-audience's German hand: overplaying an H.G. Wells promise of "Things To Come" that this FW.42 threat to civilization held for the Island Kingdom, including its 'cancellation' in the early-30s (to forestall unfavorable English response) - by the nascent Nazi desire not to pre-maturely alarm its neighbors, just yet! (Nicely done though.) Now comes the UK reply!

AERO CINEMA seems to use color films to present the Miles M.39B: more as a Ministry of Defense's exploratory counter-foreshadowing of how a Battle of Britain could be turned into a Battle of Germany, if Britain could also play this 'canard' card; rather than just Miles Aircraft's own initiatives to improve handling-qualities from a pilot's utility.  (Again, nicely done, but still expected some discussion about the Handley Page project, given the 'strategic' bend Aero Cinema was lending to its canard presentation.) No further UK projects, as it now crosses the oceans to America and Japan.

The promising Curtiss XP-55 Ascender now gets its full attention, also describing how its 'Ass-ender'  byname was earned. However, the final 'canard' masterpiece now awaits its Japanese incarnation.  

Here, the Kysushu J7W gets its own final due on its potential to overturn the air war over Japan (as it was unfortunately playing out for Japan by 1945).  No doubt, this most formidable of 'canards' climaxed everything the enthusiastic aficionado would expect, including its transition to jet power!  (I've seen this most-popularized J7W2 Hasagawa version within even the most recent IPMS-conventions.  However, a 'compact' fitting turbojet-engine - of some 3000+lbs-thrust - was not in the offing in Japan for some years, unless they could import a Rolls Royce Derwent!  (A mere 2000lbs-thrust engine would be a mouse.)  Moreover, 'transonic' stability & control vagaries, already becoming a deadly unknown by the mid-40s, would likely likely play further havoc with a canard concept, as could be easily imagined!

All in all, quite an informative and revelatory video short-subject by AERO CINEMA, with color-graphics to boot.  However, its complete omission of any passing mention of Ambrosini's S.S.4 seems unforgivable.  This Italian canard sported state-of-art high-performance just as commensurate to its time (1939: including full tactical-weapons potential), as any of the other canards this video covered.  AERO CINEMA's omission might seem typical of its staff's (and their audience's) not-yet outgrown notions of German shock 'n' awe.  

Therefore, the upcoming: "Italian Secret Projects" book will be the one device to remedy these shortcomings.  Apparently, AERO FAN's splendid Italian/English editorship never saw fit to issue any 'mini-serie' monograph about this particular Ambrosini project (as well as some other advanced projects): likely contributing, at least indirectly, to this continuing permissive ignorance about them - a more-enlightened AERO CINEMA series might see fit to remedy?  Fortunately, Chris Dunning's stunning new and re-issued subject-books arrived (just it time!) to provide the very incentive to 'anchor' (and re-invigorate!) these promises for Anglo-American audiences, and their desiring authors, alike.  Peace.

Robert

Offline prolific1

• Aviation Design Boneyard
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 10:41:34 pm »
To Messrs. Pelzig and Skybolt,

If you need any artistic contributions to your book...be sure to give me a ring.
Windows/PCs/anything Microsoft sucks.