Register here

Author Topic: Boland Aircraft of 1910s  (Read 8309 times)

Offline AirAusquin

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
  • Aeronautical Engineer and civil aviation historian
    • Articles on civil aviation
Re: Boland Aircraft of 1910s
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2017, 04:47:12 pm »
AirAusquin, thank you very much! Ella was the daughter of Gottfried Krueger, the German Beer Baron who owned Krueger Beer and the brewery of the same name (they invented the beer can). He had several daughters. If you have a source on their relationship it would be greatly appreciated (i.e. cousins, sisters, etc.)!

Dynoman, I am planning a long article on Frank. As soon as I come across the relationship, I will let you know.

Offline AirAusquin

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2017, 05:46:09 pm »
Aeronautics Feb 1912 article on Boland Experimental Aircraft. Article found on Pdf pg. 66.

Dynoman! These copies of the Aeronautics journal look way better than the ones I got in 2012!!! THANKS!

Offline AirAusquin

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2017, 06:09:46 pm »
Aeronautics Feb 1912 article on Boland Experimental Aircraft. Article found on Pdf pg. 66.

Dynoman, or I am very rusty, or accessing those particular books at google books is not as easy as I think. Can you teach me to reach them?

Here are my previous copies of articles on Frank Boland's planes, mainly from 'Aeronautics'. Can you point me to each book in the newer format? Many thanks, this is wonderful!!!
https://es.scribd.com/doc/107732196/100-Anos-Aviacion-en-Venezuela-Anexo2-Articulos-Completos-Boland

Alejandro

Offline Dynoman

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2017, 04:15:24 am »
AirAustquin, at the top right hand corner of the Google Books page there is a tab next to the page count. Click on the tab and select Download PDF. It takes you to an authentication screen and then allows you to download the document.

I read the Scribd article and it is excellent! I look forward to reading your article on Boland. My interest is primarily in Uppercu and his early connections to the aviation industry. 

Offline Dynoman

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2017, 07:38:52 am »
According to Scientific American, Feb. 24, 1912, pg. 178, Boland experimented with a monoplane aircraft that incorporated hinged flaps seven years earlier (circa 1905). Is there any additional information on this aircraft?

Offline AirAusquin

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2017, 08:26:04 am »
According to Scientific American, Feb. 24, 1912, pg. 178, Boland experimented with a monoplane aircraft that incorporated hinged flaps seven years earlier (circa 1905). Is there any additional information on this aircraft?

Dynoman, as far as I know, the first plane Frank designed and build, was in fact a monoplane which was finished in 1908, already powered by a Boland (Joseph's) and which was only able to do some hops. After it failed to achieve flight, Frank went to buy Dr. Greene's biplane. Here is the article  from the Syracuse Herald, dated September 27, 1908 that reports on the airplane, during its manufacturing. No details or mention on the use of flaps. From the description I can't not really figure out how was the configuration of the aircraft.

AIr

Offline Dynoman

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2017, 05:29:09 pm »
AirAsuquin, thank you! Excellent article!!

The Boland design mentioned in the article appears to either be a canard equipped aircraft or a tandem wing aircraft as Boland mentions that all of the surfaces provide positive lift ("every plane on my machine lifts") and that he has "double-forward" planes and "rear planes."

The article mentions that he has 5 sets of wings (each measuring 20 ft x 6 ft), however the article implies that not all the sets may be used at the same time with configurations of 600 sq ft to 1000 sq ft of wing area available.

He also mentions a unique method of control. It appears that he sits upon a seat that has roller bearings underneath that allows him to shift his weight changing up the aircraft's CG.

His aircraft weighs 700 lbs fully loaded and is projected to fly at 70-90 mph. Its's overall length is approximately 30 feet. It has an 8 cylinder motor that generates 60 hp at 2500 rpm and it swings a two bladed propeller of 12 ft diameter and a 12 inch chord.

He has additional "sockets" at the rear of the aircraft for some form of directional control "surfaces". Not sure if this is a pair of vertical stabilizers (he mentions that it is rudderless) or some type of V-tail arrangement.

The wings also have a unique takeoff and in-flight configuration. For added lift it appears that the wing (as far as I can interpret) contracts slightly inward (using cable control) and is released or stretched flat for faster speeds.

The design has a unique propulsion system with a tractor mounted motor providing thrust in the air, but also incorporates a chain drive for the landing gear wheels for additional speed on the ground.

From the photo the fuselage truss section looks similar to a Latham or Bleriot type (i.e. small box truss sections). Its fuselage and wing arrangement reminds me of the Bleriot Libellule. It would be good to get a better quality picture of the article to see additional details.

Bleriot Type VI shown for reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bl%C3%A9riot_VI
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 06:16:57 pm by Dynoman »

Offline Dynoman

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2017, 12:15:29 pm »
Created a sketch of the concept described in the article. The article stated that it had "sockets" for the additional wings (each wing 20 ft spand and 6 ft chord) over the 30 ft fuselage length. With all five wings mounted the basic design may have looked similar to the sketch. The aircraft that may have flown could have just had the front "planes" and the rear wing (second picture).
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 12:46:07 pm by Dynoman »

Offline hesham

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2017, 03:19:37 pm »
Amazing concepts dear Dynoman.

Offline AirAusquin

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2017, 08:13:25 pm »
Created a sketch of the concept described in the article. The article stated that it had "sockets" for the additional wings (each wing 20 ft spand and 6 ft chord) over the 30 ft fuselage length. With all five wings mounted the basic design may have looked similar to the sketch. The aircraft that may have flown could have just had the front "planes" and the rear wing (second picture).

Dynoman, in these days of computer 3D drawings, watching such very neat and clean hand drawn sketches is a delight! Wonderful!
Just one big observation, the newspaper talks about dual propellers: "This will turn two propellers, one at either side of the machine"...

Alejandro

Offline Dynoman

« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2017, 03:29:34 pm »
Found interesting patent from FE Boland of the Boland Aeroplane and Motor Co. of 1910. The drawing shows a mechanism for rotating the forward wing (canard) similar to the description of the 1908 Boland Monoplane/Multiwing aircraft. As described the aircraft has no vertical surfaces and uses a canard that rotates in the horizontal to create a difference in lift on the canard and effect a roll. (Figure 1 was missing from the patent, but was described as a Biplane glider with the same arrangement).
https://patents.google.com/patent/US1277036A/en?assignee=boland+aeroplane
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 03:54:19 pm by Dynoman »

Offline AirAusquin

« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2017, 04:03:16 pm »
Got it too, but Fig 1, the most important to me, is missing...

Offline Dynoman

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2018, 08:13:20 am »
Another variation of the Boland Monoplane/Multiplane design of 1908. This version incorporates the descriptions of the Syracuse Herald article and Boland's patent information, which appears to be described in the Syracuse article. The wings are designed similar to the Huntington multiplane aircraft of the same era. Boland described his aircraft's wings as similar to a birds wing. However, I don't know if he was alluding to a tapered planform or just the 'gull' design. His description of the wing being bowed when flying at a slower speed and stretching out as the aircraft increases speed is the basis for the wings structure in the drawing.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 09:29:30 am by Dynoman »

Offline hesham

« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2018, 02:08:15 pm »
Amazing drawing,thank you Dynoman.