Search Function

Barrington Bond

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I seem to be having problems with the site Search function - it will only allow me to see page 1 then throws up an error on any other pages??

Regards,
Barry

me too.

Attached the message you get when you click to see from results page 2 onwards

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 100
Confirmed here too. I think that Paul will soon fix the problem. Till that time I suggest to do a much specific search with more keywords and less amount of the results.

Yes, it seems so. I will investigate - may be a bug in the most recent update to the forum software.

[Not sure if it is the best place to post this, but it seems good enough.]

After three years of being a member of this great forum, I've just realized that the search tool located in the top right-hand corner of the pages is contextual... in other words, it doesn't bring the same results depending on which part of the forum you're in!

While clicking on the "Search" thumb (top left) from any page will generate a global search in every topic of the forum, entering search words in the search box on the right will only bring results from the one section of the forum you are currently visiting. How confusing!

No wonder the mods and admins sometimes don't understand how we failed to find a certain subject and reposted something or re-created a topic for something that already exists!

My apologies for all the times that I genuinely searched using the right tool but in the wrong sections. I really believe that this search box ought to be changed for global searches, and if not, at least there should be a mention that the search will be made only in the current section, otherwise it is a massive source of confusion...

My only gripe with the otherwise excellent search function is that it flags up all posts by members whose user name is that of the aircraft or missile I'm searching for.

Chris

I believe this changed in SMF 2.0, the recent upgrade.

I don't believe its easily configurable - will check.

The default search is:

If you are at top level of forum, global search (all boards)
If you are at top level of forum section, section search (single board)
If you are in a topic, topic search (single topic)

I can install a modification which adds a dropdown box which

1) shows your current search option as above
2) allows you to change it
3) Adds a google search option

overscan said:
I can install a modification which adds a dropdown box which

1) shows your current search option as above
2) allows you to change it
3) Adds a google search option

That would be awesome. :)

CJGibson said:
My only gripe with the otherwise excellent search function is that it flags up all posts by members whose user name is that of the aircraft or missile I'm searching for.

Chris

I checked, there doesn't seem to be any way to stop that, as the username is included in the "message".

Indeed, perhaps a ruling on no-aircraft-names-as-user-names could help given the size of the database that SPF now is. Annoy a few folk, (Morning, Mike!) but make life easier for all in the long term.

Chris

overscan said:
Done! I added Google, and Bing for the 3 people in the world who use that search engine :)

That me !
i one of those three people
and new search function is fantastic B)

big THX to Overscan ;D

Thanks for keeping this baby the best site of it's type on the net :)