'barrel bomb' ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

TsrJoe

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
DELETED POST (please remove from the thread)

I assume you mean the highlighted structure

Attachments

• aradofassbombe.jpg
    aradofassbombe.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 118
I think the payload on the centre rack is what's being referred to ;)

Is the aircraft a P?

I think that might actually be a rato unit, which were shaped like that.

Just call me Ray said:
I think that might actually be a rato unit, which were shaped like that.

I thought the same, but the RATO units used on the AR234 were smaller and mounted up very near the wing, as in the photo here:

(Photo credit: Michael Yew from Austin, Texas, USA, Creative Commons License)

Attachments

• 800px-Arado_234_'Blitz'_with_RATO_unit(s).jpg
    800px-Arado_234_'Blitz'_with_RATO_unit(s).jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 67
In various suspicious literature (think Friedrich Georg, Rob Arndt et al) the Barrel Bomb ("Fassbombe" in German) has been linked to every kind of Nazi secret last-days-of-the-war superweapon you care to name: nuclear, chemical, radiological, FAE, super-chemical, deep-freeze, etc..

To me, it always looked rather like a (air droppable ?) canister for supplies. And if you absolutely want it to be a weapon, my best bet would be an FAE or a firebomb (napalm or equivalent). This, I hasten to stress, is pure speculation on my part, however.

Regards & all,

Thomas L. Nielsen

Did they think about baggage pods back then?
Odd thing is it does look like a pressure vessel.....

Might just be a fuel tank. A bomb that tubby would likely tumble without stabilizing fins... so the designers didn't *care* if it tumbled. That means either a drop-tank, or a napalm bomb, or... ?

maybe it is a type of aerial mine? it would probably deploy a parachute of some kind out of the back?
i dont think it is a rato pod, as i doubt it would be mounted in the center of the arcraft like a bomb would. ???

Status
Not open for further replies.