Register here

Author Topic: Lockheed Sea Shadow  (Read 34245 times)

sublight

Re: Lockheed Sea Shadow
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2011, 09:02:53 am »
Wait, did they ask all the South American "pharmaceutical" distributors if they needed a seagoing stealth vessel?  :)

Offline mithril

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2011, 01:54:52 pm »
No more use for the Sea Shadow and no place to store it... A $195 million prototype is now headed for the junkyard. What a waste!

http://www.tgdaily.com/hardware-brief/56737-007-style-stealth-ship-is-headed-for-the-junk-yard
they offered it free to any museum that wanted it. but they also specified that said museum had to also take the barge thing it's stored in, and would have to display it inside said barge. which pretty much killed any interest.

Offline Colonial-Marine

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • Fighting the UAV mafia.
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2011, 11:37:08 pm »
You're telling me there are no eccentric millionaires or billionaires who would save this thing, even just for showing off next to their yacht? What a waste.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2011, 01:37:55 am »
I guess Navy museum at Tushino would like to have both, but seems some problems could arise:)
"There are many disbelievers in
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works

Offline JimK

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2011, 08:38:14 am »
This page from the Historical Naval Ships Association website seems to have links that would provide as much information as anyone would like to know about the Sea Shadow:

http://www.hnsa.org/seashadow/index.php

Offline SteveO

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2011, 11:25:30 am »
Good find, thanks for sharing.

Offline shadeone

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
  • I really should change my personal text
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2012, 02:14:05 pm »

Offline Deino

• Our China Correspondent
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2013, 08:53:00 am »
He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last forever; I was wrong.
For nothing now can ever come to any good.
-------------------------------------------------
W.H.Auden (1945)

Offline Grey Havoc

• The path not taken.
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2013, 09:03:31 am »
Indeed.  >:(
The sole imperative of a government, once instituted, is to survive.

Offline Skyblazer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2013, 09:06:24 am »
What a sad end ...  :'( :o :-[

It breaks my heart to see this...  :'(

Couldn't they preserve such a unique piece of technological achievement, perhaps turning it into a floating museum or something?
It's like seeing the Lun ekranoplane slowly rotting away... It should be listed by the Unesco as part of mankind's common heritage and preserved!

Offline Thiel

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2013, 09:37:15 am »
If memory serves it was offered as a museum ship, but no one took the offer.

Offline Sea Skimmer

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2013, 12:32:59 pm »
It was offered as a museum ship only if the taker also took the Hughes Mining Barge and displayed Sea Shadow inside of said barge. I don't see the horrible loss, the ship never did anything in service, it has very little on the inside for people to see other then the bridge and the engine room, and the US has too many underfunded museum ships already. Some are literally sinking at anchor.

Offline soundguy20000

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
  • I really should change my personal text
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2013, 12:26:12 pm »
I feel it was a tragic loss that the IX-529 (Sea Shadow) was scrapped, watching the ship being ripped apart, day to day was horrifying, but before I get there a little back story.  I found this forum through my Flickr stats, yes I went in January of 2010 with Amy Hieden to the G-Row of the Susuin Bay Mothball Fleet, but we never we allowed on board the Sea Shadow, merely on the HMB-1.  In September of 2012 my path once again crossed with the HMB-1 at Treasure Island in San Francisco.  From September 2012, until the final scrapping of the Sea Shadow in December of 2012 I made 23 visits to the ships, climbed through almost every compartment of both ships, toured the Sea Shadow with one of the Ex-Lockheed Engineers, and was one of the last people to set foot on the Sea Shadow before it was gone.  Through all these visits and once of a lifetime access I developed an understanding of what the US Navy was testing on the Sea Shadow, which goes far beyond the stealth technology and reduced manning that the Navy has explained publicly.  As far as I can tell my photographs tell the most complete story of the scrapping and destruction of an amazing ship.  When the scrapping kicked up a notch by bringing on three four hundred excavators, the amount of difficulty the scrapping encountered was amazing, including the Sea Shadow sliding forward off it's supports, a bent nose, and the excavators burning through $7,000 heads at an unheard of rate.  At the moment my Flickr set is as complete of a public library as I'm posting for now, http://www.flickr.com/photos/soundguy20000/sets/72157631960059129/with/8390152916/
Thanks for looking and reading!

Offline Creative

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2013, 03:09:33 pm »
Would it be correct to assume that FSF-1 Sea Fighter is Sea Shadow's heir?

Offline TomS

« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2013, 04:20:08 pm »
Not really.  The only thing they have in common is the SWATH hullform, and the FSF version is actually quite different -- more of a semi-SWATH approach.  Also, FSF-1 isn't notably low-signature (look at the exposed railings, for example).