Fugaku : Z-plane, G10 or G12

Antonio

Staff member
Reaction score
Any possibility to see a drawing of this marvel? ;D

Do a google search on the Nakajima G10N. There seems to be the most information on this. IIRC, this was part of the the Japanese plans for an intercontinental bomber. As usual, the Navy and Army both had projects, and were just different enough to require two different airframes.

Kim M

Hi Flitzer,

the drawing which I saw from four years was to jet engined bomber,and
this drawing for G10N bomber project.

Oooops!

My dislexia got the better of me....yet again.
Apologies.

I'll search again....

In the meantime, would it be logical to think the G12M was a jet engined development of the G10N?

Thanks
Peter
;D

I'm afraid there is no such a project
like the Mitusubish G12M.

Even the much mentioned G10N1 designation is not "official"
and Fugaka was the general name of a ultra long-range heavy bomber project competition
in which several Japanese manufacturers participated.

The Kawanishi K 200 is sometimes mentioned in the more serious publications.(like Skybolt tod us)
According to it's designer even a civil variant was planned for use after the war
by the Greater Japan airlines.

mistakes made in a hurry...

must be 'Mitsubishi' and 'Fugaku' of course...

My dear lark,

can you tell us about the other projects which competed kawanishi K-200 ?,
please.

Japanese secret projects are very shetchily studied. The US seized all the documents they could just after the war, studied and translated the most interesting, then copied them (on microfilm, I think) and restituted the originals to Japan. The microfilms or whatever are now at the Smithsonian waiting for some willing researcher... AFAIK till now only Renèe Francillon and the guy who wrote the two-part article on Airpower/Wings waaaaaayy ago did something like that. Hopefully I'm wrong... As for the K-200 competitors, AFAIK no-one for sure knows if there was a competition at all.... ???

Sorry but I am not sure of the correct maker and designation of the 3-view drawing of the six-engine bomber design ?

Regards
Pioneer

The mysterious Fugaku is always mentioned as a Nakajima project,
designated G10N1.
The 3-view is fromhttp://www.j-aircraft.org/xplanes/, via
http://www.tgplanes.com/. But there's no mentioning of
a G12. At least the G10N is mentioned in Francillons "Japanese Aircrfat
of the Pacific War" as a 1943 project ..

Attachments

• Fugaku-1.jpg
    Fugaku-1.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 2,007
Four different illustrations (3views) concerning the Fugaku are circulating in several publications
and on the web. One of them ,the bomber with the eleptical wing planform
is more than probably a Kawanishi proposal.(the wing is Heinkel influenced)
Are the others all Nakajima designs?
One the drawings shows a 6 engined aircraft with twin tailfins strongly
resembling the Junkers Ju-390.Is there somewone who knows which was the planned
Japanese licence munufacturer?

Very interesting info, Lark ;)

I'd like to add some more from FlyPast unknown issue from more than 10 years ago. The article name is "Setting Sun" and deals with unbuilt Japanese designs. Beautiful artwork from Ken Tyson.

Fugaku

Nakajima's private venture study for a trans-Pacific bomber, Project Z, was developed by a join Army and Navy team to produce the G10N1 Fugaku (Mount Fuji).
Powerplant: 6 NK11A 2,500 hp
Range: 10,000 miles (Intended to be based at Hokkaido to carry-out attacks on the ConUS
Bomb load: 10 to 15 tons
Defensive armament: 4 x 20 mm cannon

Going back to the G12, I think the same as Lark.
Studying all known Japanese heavy bomber projects, Japanese jet engine technology and development of WWII I think the existence of such kind of project should be highly improbable.
Anyway I can't deny categorically the existence of a "wunderwaffen" project developed by engineers that wanted to avoid its mobilization to the War Front

please read this wise posts from Jemiba too:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,458.0.html

Attachments

• Fugaku.jpg
    Fugaku.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 2,100
I have never heard of the Nakajima's G10N1 Fugaku (Mount Fuji) Project up until this forum

I do not think that the Japanese aircraft industry would have been up to mass producing such a large and materialistic (resources) demanding aircraft so late in the war.

Even so, crewed by high morale crews (but not necessarily skilled/experienced crews) and attacking continental United States and Australia, would have been a daunting thought to the Allies.

For with the spirit and mentality of the then Kamikaze pilots, even if intercepted and damaged, these large Fugaku bombers would have become lethal suicide machines.

Thanks for your efforts gents

Regards
Pioneer

Hi,

Who can believe it ,a speed 850 kmh for Ki-78. There is a Nakajima project-Z
or G10N six engined bomber drawings.

Attachments

• G10N.jpg
    G10N.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 1,102
  • G10N (2).jpg
    G10N (2).jpg
    15 KB · Views: 716
Hi,

Could anybody help me identify these projects?

Attachments

• Escanear0004.jpg
    Escanear0004.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 462
  • Escanear0003.jpg
    Escanear0003.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 638
  • Escanear0002.jpg
    Escanear0002.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 680
  • Escanear0001.jpg
    Escanear0001.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 687
002 One more variants G10N Fugaku
003 Project Z Kawanishi Gunzan (late 1943)

Attachments

• FUGAKU.1.jpg
    FUGAKU.1.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 445
I believe that the fourth image is the Nakajima G10N rather than the Mitsubishi G12M. http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,985.30.html

About the Kawanishi Project Z "Gunzan", is 'G9K' an accurate designation?

The drawing with the eliptical winged bomber was made for a
1965 Japanese magazine Soku-Mach club.
It is unclear if the drawing is related to the 'Z' plan bomber or to the 'Fugaku'.

'Z' plan was a private initiative by Nakajima who started two desigbureaux for it.
One for the Jap.Navy and one for the Jap.Army who created their own designs
for their respective 'clients'.
Both concepts formed the basis for the Joint design who was named 'Fugaku'
of which several variant designs were produced.
Even the designation G10N1 is not sure...

The twin-fuselage concept (001) should be a Tachikawa design.No type number.

"I believe that the fourth image is the Nakajima G10N rather than the Mitsubishi G12M"

Well, you're right with regards to the designation, used by Rene Francillon in the Putnam book.
But, as lark told us, not even the designation can be taken for granted .. :-\

Jemiba said:
... But, as lark told us, not even the designation can be taken for granted .. :-\

Quite true. And with even the designations up in the air, there's no way to know how representative the drawings are -- let alone accurate.

borovik said:
002 One more variants G10N Fugaku
003 Project Z Kawanishi Gunzan (late 1943)

All bombers are Nakajima G10N alternatives. They never frozen the final design.

Abraços, meu velho

Pepe

Hi Fugaku model! Enjoy.

Thanks a lot for the link Blackkite!, you can almost feel that beast mighty. Just a complaint to the modeller: the Fugaku was a very ambitious project (in fact, it was an impossible design for Japan's technical capabilities at that time), it was in the B-36 class. Comparing the B-36 landing gear with that Fugaku model I think the wheels are too little.

Attachments

• HA54.jpg
    HA54.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 417
  • HA54-1.jpg
    HA54-1.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 328
  • HA54-2.jpg
    HA54-2.jpg
    439.4 KB · Views: 310
Thanks Ed!
I begin to post the abstract of "Super large bomber Fugaku(富嶽)'s engine(1)"
In the middle of 1942, after the lost of Midway battle, Chikuhei Nakajima(中島知久平), the founder of Nakajima Aircraft, planned grand idea which was to attack U.S. military manufacture to protect bombing to Japanese Archipelago.
According to this idea, he offered to IJA and IJN to develop and manufacture super large plane which surpass B-29.
At first, he decided to develop this aircraft by Nakajima Aircraft's private venture(called as Z plane) in January 1943,because IJA and IJN did not understand this big idea. ;D Also he persuaded IJA and IJN to realize this plane. Finally IJA and IJN agreed this plan in February 1944, selected him as s project manager and named this aircraft as Fugaku(old name of Mt.Fuji).
Fugaku's specification was as follows.
Wing span:65m, Overall length:45m, Wing area:350m2, MTOW:160ton, Engine power:30,000HP(5,000HP × 6), Max speed:680km/h, Range:16,000km with 20 ton bomb.
Fugaku's engine was Nakajima HA54(called as BZ in Nakajima) aircooling 4 array radial 36 cylinders(18 cylinders ×2), cylinder diameter:146mm, stroke:160mm, 96.4L, with 3 stage mechanical super charger, cowling outer diameter:1,550mm, Overall length:3,581mm, Dry weight:2,450kg,
5,000HP in take off(2,800rpm), 4,040HP in 6,300m(2,800rpm)
The chief engineer of HA54 was Kiyoshi Tanaka(田中清史),who had the carrier of Mamoru(護) engine chief engineer,the largest engine that Nakajima ever built.(double 14 cylinder air cooling engine).HA54 design team was consisted of 50 engineers.
There were many plan for Fugaku as project proceeded.
Attached drawing was Nakajima Z plane in spring 1943.

Attachments

• nakajima z plane in spring 1943.jpg
    nakajima z plane in spring 1943.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 698
blackkite said:
Thanks Ed!
I begin to post the abstract of "Super large bomber Fugaku(富嶽)'s engine(1)"
In the middle of 1942, after the lost of Midway battle, Chikuhei Nakajima(中島知久平), the founder of Nakajima Aircraft, planned grand idea which was to attack U.S. military manufacture to protect bombing to Japanese Archipelago.
According to this idea, he offered to IJA and IJN to develop and manufacture super large plane which surpass B-29.
At first, he decided to develop this aircraft by Nakajima Aircraft's private venture(called as Z plane) in January 1943,because IJA and IJN did not understand this big idea. ;D Also he persuaded IJA and IJN to realize this plane. Finally IJA and IJN agreed this plan in February 1944, selected him as s project manager and named this aircraft as Fugaku(old name of Mt.Fuji).
Fugaku's specification was as follows.
Wing span:65m, Overall length:45m, Wing area:350m2, MTOW:160ton, Engine power:30,000HP(5,000HP × 6), Max speed:680km/h, Range:16,000km with 20 ton bomb.
Fugaku's engine was Nakajima HA54(called as BZ in Nakajima) aircooling 4 array radial 36 cylinders(18 cylinders ×2), cylinder diameter:146mm, stroke:160mm, 96.4L, with 3 stage mechanical super charger, cowling outer diameter:1,550mm, Overall length:3,581mm, Dry weight:2,450kg,
5,000HP in take off(2,800rpm), 4,040HP in 6,300m(2,800rpm)
The chief engineer of HA54 was Kiyoshi Tanaka(田中清史),who had the carrier of Mamoru(護) engine chief engineer,the largest engine that Nakajima ever built.(double 14 cylinder air cooling engine).HA54 design team was consisted of 50 engineers.
There were many plan for Fugaku as project proceeded.
Attached drawing was Nakajima Z plane in spring 1943.
It look like it have been influenced by Junker Ju 390

"Super large bomber Fugaku(富嶽)'s engine(2)"
When determining engine type, HA54 design team considered 6 engine types(air cooling radial type).
①7cylinders×4 array(28cylinders)
②7cylinders×6 array(42cylinders)
③18cylinders×3 array(54cylinders)
④18cylinders×2 array(36cylinders),etc
Finally selected 18cylinders×2 array(36cylinders) type.
At the time, Nakajima was developping 4 types of 18cylinders engine.
Those engines were BD(Mamori engine base),NAN(HA107),BH(HA44) and Homare.
BD and NAN were abandoned, BH and Homare became candidate of HA54 base engine.
Homare's displacement was 36L, too small for 5,000HP engine.
Then BH was selected as the HA54 base engine,combined with tandem shape.
HA54 was called as double BH in Nakajima.
Attached pictures are BH(HA44).

Attachments

• HA44.jpg
    HA44.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 667
The BH engine was completed as next fighter engine and called HA44. Take off power was 2,450HP in 2,800rpm with +500mm Hg(0.67bar) boost.
In case of HA54, boost was +600mm Hg(0.8bar).
The HA54 design team was strictly ordered by Chikuhei Nakajina that the power of HA54 was not less than 5,000HP, because engine was the fore runner of the Fugaku project. Fugaku had many other problems such as pressurized cabin,etc. The HA54 design team also had many difficulties, one of those problem was cooling problem of 4 array 36 cylinder complicated engine. After careful design and test, they selected 2 types of cooling method. The first one was cooling engine by normal forced cooling fan. The another one was cooling engine by suction type fan. The first one was already established by Raiden interceptor, they selected this type as HA54 cooling system.

Attachments

• TYPE 1 COOLING.jpg
    TYPE 1 COOLING.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 583
  • TYPE 2 COOLING.jpg
    TYPE 2 COOLING.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 565
Thank you for this fantastic info Blackkite!

The supercharger assemblies at the rear of the two engine outlines look substantially different - any idea as to why this should be?

"Super large bomber Fugaku(富嶽)'s engine(3)"
Next problem was air inspiration system including fuel distribution problem for each cylinder. In case of HA54, to solve this problem, air and fuel mixed gas manifold was located middle of the engine. Air and fuel mixed gas from supercharger oriented by 9 pipes flew into the manifold then supplied to each cylinder. The fuel supply system used Nakajima type low pressure fuel injection system instead of carburetor.

Attachments

• enigne mockup.jpg
    enigne mockup.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 171
  • supply air manifold.jpg
    supply air manifold.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 141
  • supercharger.jpg
    supercharger.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 236
  • HA54.jpg
    HA54.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 542
"Super large bomber Fugaku(富嶽)'s engine(4)"
The HA54 engine was required high reliability,the design team wanted to perform several basic tests and full scale mock up model construction prior to fix final design. But the schedule was very severe to perform every test and mock up construction that design team planned.
The HA54 development plan in March 1944 was as follows.
1.Machine manufacturing of parts for No1 and No2 engine:March 1944 to September 1944.
2.Assembly of No1 engine:October 1944.
3.Assembly of No2 engine:Nobember 1944.
4.Endurance test finish:February 1945.
5.The first flight of No1 Fugaku:May 1945.
But in July 1944, Nakajima received order to terminate Fugaku project from IJA and IJN after Saipan island fall(1944/07/07),because IJA and IJN concentrated on fighter manufacturing which used for B-29 Interception and KAMIKAZE special attack.
At the time, the HA54 design team already finished the design and prepared all parts drawings.
The materials for crank shaft and crank case already delivered to Nakajima. Machine manufacturing began.
The design team disappointed very much to receive stop order. They wanted to complete HA54 engine very much.
Chikuhei Nakajima instructed design team that Nakajima Aircraft will crush after WW2.The automobile age will begin.Study hard!!
(same as my mother ;D)
Nakajima Aircraft became Fuji(Fugaku) heavy industries.
http://www.fhi.co.jp/english/

Attachments

• Chikuhei_Nakajima.jpg
    Chikuhei_Nakajima.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 2,345
"Super large bomber Fugaku(富嶽)'s engine(an addition)"
Chikuhei Nakajima's personal history
1884:He was born in Gunma prefecture near Tokyo. His father was a farmer.
1903(19):Entered IJN engine school.
1907(23):Graduated IJN engine school.He had a top class school record.
1908(24):Became a second lieutenant.
1911(27):Tested Japanese first airship.(The second airship pilot in Japan.) Became a captain.
1912(28):Graduated IJN university. Went to America, get aircraft pilot license.(The third aircraft pilot in Japan)
1916(32):Went to Europe to observe aviation situation.
1917(33):Retired IJN. Established Aircraft research institute.
1918(34):Established Nakajima Aircraft.
1930(46):Elected a member of the Home of Representatives.
1938(54):Became Minister of rail road.
1945(61):Became Minister of trade and industries and Minister of military supplies.
Designated A-class war criminal by General Headquarter(GHQ).
1947(64):Cancelled A-class war criminal.
1948(65):Died in Tokyo by cerebral infarction.
He did not marry.But he was given children between his maid.
He had a lion in his garden. ;D
He did not smoke and did not drink alcohol.
He took care of Nakajima's workers very much.
He talked very gently to everyone as if to his friend.

Attachments

• chikuhei1.gif
    chikuhei1.gif
    164.6 KB · Views: 194
  • chikuhei2.jpg
    chikuhei2.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 3,067
  • chikuhei3.jpg
    chikuhei3.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 3,070
  • Nakajima head office early times.jpg
    Nakajima head office early times.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 3,071
  • Nakajima head office early times2.jpg
    Nakajima head office early times2.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 3,164
Hello people Im curious if there were derived projects in development from the mega bomber Fugaku,for example were the Japanese developing a carco variant of this big airplane,or lighter bomber varians with less engines,range etc
I hope some one can help me with info drawnings of these projects.

It's very difficult to find precise Fugaku variant drawings,also base design,too.
Almost drawings were lost.
Base design : Nakajima HA54 engine(5,000hp in take off) ×6
Variant① : Nakajima HA44 engine(2,500hp in take off) ×6
Variant② : Mitsubishi HA50 engine(3,000hp in take off) ×6
Variant③ : Kawanishi design
I will study these designs and post.