Register here

Author Topic: Littoral Combat Ship - Freedom/Independence  (Read 137013 times)

Offline fredymac

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: Littoral Combat Ship - Freedom/Independence
« Reply #435 on: January 16, 2018, 02:49:12 am »
Saudi version of Freedom class LCS plus more on minehunting UUV's.  Last segment covers the Rheinmetall 35mm gun and discusses the difficulty in trying to break into existing "program of record" bureaucracy.

Offline fredymac

« Reply #436 on: March 09, 2018, 04:56:19 am »
Freedom Class derivative approved for sale to Saudi Arabia.

"The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for Multi-Mission Surface Combatant (MMSC) Ships and associated equipment, parts and logistical support for an estimated cost of $11.25 billion."

http://www.dmitryshulgin.com/author/wagner666/

Offline fredymac

« Reply #437 on: April 10, 2018, 03:09:25 am »
Guided 57mm round.

Offline marauder2048

• "I should really just relax"
« Reply #438 on: April 10, 2018, 01:36:42 pm »
Great find!

Offline fredymac

« Reply #439 on: April 11, 2018, 02:52:59 am »
CUSV from Textron.  This USV is slated for LCS MCM duty.

"CUSV was created in 2009 and was selected in October 2014 to carry the Navy’s Unmanned Influence Sweep System for the Littoral Combat Ship’s mine countermeasures mission (MCM) package"
https://news.usni.org/2016/01/27/textrons-cusv-in-production-as-minesweeping-vehicle-may-take-on-minehunting-soon

This other video includes a brief clip of a different trimaran design from Austal USA for SOF applications.  The clip is at the end of the video.

Offline TomS

« Reply #440 on: April 11, 2018, 08:34:18 am »
Guided 57mm round.

Really interesting video.  I'm trying to figure out what it's doing in the short clip around 1:00.  That's obviously the steering mechanism, but are those big blobs at the top clouds of gas or actual solid material kicked out to divert the round?

Offline fredymac

« Reply #441 on: April 11, 2018, 09:49:02 am »
If you look at the 36 second mark you will see a series of splashes in the water.  I don't know if those are tied to the "blobs" that come off the round but then it leaves open to question what else could have caused the splashes.

Offline TomS

« Reply #442 on: April 11, 2018, 11:12:02 am »
Yeah, at 1:01, there is also a line of stuff smaller headed downward from the projectile.  Interestingly, the contract announcement (upthread) talks about the round firing "four energetic bolts" for divert, but there are clearly more than four large objects (I count six) coming out in the video.

So probably it's a solid object being fired out to divert, but maybe it's evolved since the original 4-bolt design.

Offline fredymac

« Reply #443 on: April 12, 2018, 02:55:55 am »
Technical details about ALAMO guided round.

Online bring_it_on

• I really should change my personal text
Old radar types never die; they just phased array - Unknown

Offline fredymac

« Reply #445 on: May 17, 2018, 03:43:03 am »
Test of Hellfire deployed on LCS-5.

Offline sferrin

« Reply #446 on: May 17, 2018, 04:58:23 am »
That video a couple years back, with three Hellfires on three boats, was more impressive.  I'm wondering why they're still (pardon the expression) dicking around with this instead of having them already out there in the fleet.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 05:34:12 am by sferrin »
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline bobbymike

« Reply #447 on: May 17, 2018, 08:37:56 am »
That video a couple years back, with three Hellfires on three boats, was more impressive.  I'm wondering why they're still (pardon the expression) dicking around with this instead of having them already out there in the fleet.

Slightly of topic but why wouldn't the Army convert some of the thousands of M113s to Hellfire or Javelin vertical launch anti-tank platforms?
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

Charles W. Eliot

Offline Moose

« Reply #448 on: September 18, 2018, 08:51:32 am »
Congress to buy 3 more LCS than the Navy needs but gut funding for sensors that make them valuable.
Appropriators cut all funding in 2019 for the anti-submarine warfare package, a variable-depth sonar and multi-function towed array system that the Navy was aiming to have declared operational next year, citing only that the funding was “ahead of need." The National Defense Authorization Act had authorized about $7.4 million, still well below the $57.3 million requested by the Navy, citing delays in testing various components.

Appropriators are also poised to half the requested funding for the surface warfare package and cut nearly $25.25 million from the minesweeping package, which equates to about a 21 percent cut from the requested and authorized $124.1 million
The annual cutting spree has created a baffling cycle of inanity wherein Congress, unhappy with the development of the modules falling behind schedule, will cut funding and cause development to fall further behind schedule, according to a source familiar with the details of the impact of the cuts who spoke on background. All this while Congress continues to pump money into building ships without any of the mission packages having achieved what’s known as initial operating capability, meaning the equipment is ready to deploy in some capacity.

That means that with 15 of the currently funded 32 ships already delivered to the fleet, not one of them can deploy with the package of sensors for which the ship was built in the first place, a situation that doesn’t have a clear end state while the the programs are caught in a sucking vortex of cuts and delays.

Offline fredymac

« Reply #449 on: October 15, 2018, 02:56:45 am »
The Airborne Laser Mine Detection System is part of the Mine Warfare package for the LCS.  The RAMICS supercavitating gun was originally going to be used as a means to destroy mines after they had been mapped.  This video from NAMMO may be related to development testing of the supercavitating rounds.

Old ALMDS and RAMICS video from Northrop

NAMMO supercavitating round test video.  Video Description:
Nammo’s 30 mm Swimmer (APFSDS-T MK 258 Mod 1) swims straight through water, thanks to a groundbreaking design on the supercavitating projectile developed in cooperation with the US Navy. This video is the first time we are able to show the performance of the ammunition in public. (Note: video has no audio)