NIIP Bars and Irbis series of radar for Su-30/Su-35

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
New details about [RLSU] “Irbis” for the fighter Su-35

Recently Tikhomirov” NIIP released sufficiently comprehensive information about the developed by it new RLSU (radar system for control) phased antenna array “Irbis”, intended for the application on the new modifications of the fighters of family Su-27 - first of all on the aircraft Su-35 and the modernised fighter Su-27SM2. Last year the enterprise designed advertising book on RLSU “Irbis-E”. which now makes it possible to describe about some design features and possibilities of new radar.
RLSU Irbis, development of which is conducted in NIIP from 2004 under chief designer Vladimir Zagorodniy’s leadership on the basis of the experience of creation RLS with the passive phased arrays “Bars” and Osa”, is intended for the decision in the composition of the integrated complex BREO of the carrier aircraft of the wide circle of tasks by detection and accompaniment of air, ground and surface targets, to the determination of their [gosprinadlezhnosti], to the identification of class [itipa] are air”; targets, to the determination of a quantity of aerial targets in the group, to the forming of the radar trace of the underlying surface (actual chart area) in the modes of low, average and high resolution, to information input of a low-altitude flight with flight around and turning movement of obstacles, correction of navigation systems, to the measurement of distance, to the missile guidance with the radar homing heads ([RGS]), etc.
Structurally [RLSU] “Irbis-E” is multifunctional radar system X band with the passive phased array. Placed on the two-axis hydraulic drive (along the azimuth and bank), with the use of a promising computing system EKVS-E BTsVM “Solo -35”. Antenna system on the base passive phased array with a diameter of 900 mm with the vertical polarisation of wave and the switch time during electronic control 0,4 ms scans with the electronic beam steering along the azimuth and the angle of elevation in the sectors not less than 60°. Furthermore, two-stage electrohydraulic drive mechanically turns antenna in azimuth to the bearing to 60° and in bank to the bearing of 120°. Therefore, the maximum angle of deflection of ray with respect to the azimuth during electronic control and mechanical corrective turn of antenna increases to 120°. In this case the vertical polarisation of wave can be changed to horizontal for a improvement in the conditions of observing the surface targets.
The transmitter, made on the base of the solid-state master oscillator “Oliva” and chains from two traveling-wave power amplifiers of the type “Chelnok”, ensures the maximum peak power at the survey frequencies not less than 20 kW with the average power 5 kW, or the average discrete continuous power of the transfer at frequencies of illumination not less than 2 kW. Four-channel receiver on the base of the low-noise intake amplifier assumes and primarily converts HF-signal with the factor of noise 3.5 dB. Digital processing of the signals accepted it occurs in the programmable signal processor on the base BTsVM “Solo -35.01”, and data processing and control of work [RLSU] - in BTsVM “Solo-35.02”, which together form BTSVS EKVS-E.
With the development RLSU “Irbis-E” is used a number of the already well developed devices from the composition RLSU “Bars”, used on the aircraft Su-30MKI. Their number includes the synchroniser, LF and SHF-receivers, the master oscillator. Two-stage drive EGSP-27 RLSU “Irbis-E” is further development of the single power drive “Bars” - EGSP-6A. The new passive phased array is developed on the basis of technical and tecjnological decisions, approved with the development of “Osa” and “Bars phased arrays”. The amplifier of transmitter is developed on the base of the output amplifier of power on the base of the travelling-wave tube “Chelnok”, created within the framework of the program BRLS N011M (prototype “Bars”) and passed inspection in the composition BREO experimental aircraft Su-27M №712 in the stage of flight design tests, after ensuring a notable increase in the range of system.

RLSU “Irbis-E” can locate and simultaneously track up to 30 aerial targets with the retention of the continuity of the survey of space (track while scan), ensure the simultaneous fire of two targets with two rockets with semi-active RGS and up to eight targets by eight rockets with active RGS, in such cases to four targets at the distance of more than 300 km. In the mode “air-surface” the complex ensures the mapping of land and sea surfaces and the detection of ground targets in the modes of survey with real beam (low resolution) with the Doppler sharpening (medium resolution) and SAR mode (modes of high and superhigh resolution). Range of detection of aerial targets RCS 3 sq m in the head-on courses in RLSU “Irbis-E” comprises not less than 350-400 km, while in the overtaking courses - not less than 150 km (with the height of target 10 km and more). To detect “stealthy” targets RCS 0.01sq m station can at the distances to 90 km. Resolution during the identification of dense multiple target (at a distance of 50 km) it comprises: on the distance - 50-100 m, on the velocity - 5 m/s and on the angular coordinates - 2,5°.
Being the logical development “Bars”, RLSU “Irbis”, thus, has considerably higher characteristics: the extended (more than doubled) zone the working of frequencies, the increased from 70 to 120 deg zone of detection and accompaniment of aerial targets along the azimuth, the considerably increased range, the improved jamming invulnerability, etc through these indices “Irbis” is located on the level of the most up-to-date foreign developments in this region, exceeding the majority of American and West European RLS with the passive and the active phased arrays and practically without being inferior to the most perfect system of this class - RLS AN/APG-77 of American fighters F-22.

Velet (Takeoff) April 2006

Re: NIIP Irbis radar for Su-35

Can we continue the Bars discussion here itself?

NO11M that is, not the Bars-29?

Pit, an active radar could be on the MLU cards for the MKI. ;) :p

http://www.aeroindiaseminar.com/06sessionfeb.asp#

Seems like NIIP is doing the marketing. ;)

Active Phased Arrays for High-Potential Fighters

ABSTRACT
Progress Analysis and Ways of High-Performance and High-Tech Design Solutions Implementation

The current state of technology and fundamental issues related to fighters AESA design have been analyzed. AESA design principles have been developed, which are aimed at unification of hardware components and technology within the framework of various deployment options, and which allow incorporating continuity principles with well-established technological procedure of manufacturing and tuning airborne phased arrays with electronic beam control.

A solution has been found to achieve high energy efficiency and functional performance of airborne active phased arrays as a result of applying advanced technologies of microwave small-scale IC production and unique methods of amplitude-phase distribution management within the aperture.

Mr Anatoly I Sinani

State University of Aerospace Instrumentation, Saint-Petersburg, Russia

http://www.ato.ru/eng/cis/archive/10-2005/defense/news1/?PHPSESSID=edd454556414ccd4d6e4151192a256c6

Work is underway on active phased-array radar

The fifth-generation fighter is to have radar with an active phased-array antenna. At the moment, only the U.S. has such technology, but Russia remains the global leader in the development and operation of passive phasedarray radars such as Zaslon for the MiG-31 interceptor and the Bars used on Su-30MKI fighters.

At the MAKS-2005 air show in August, Russia's NIIP (the prime contractor for the PAC FA radar), demonstrated a working model of its Epolet-A active phased-array radar for the first time. The antenna uses domesticallyproduced key components. According to its designers, the radiated power on each of its 68 elements reaches 10 Watts, compared to 5-8 Watts for foreign radars. The small-sized Epolet-A is considered to be an auxiliary antenna but it employs serial technologies developed by the key Russian electronics manufacturers: the St. Petersburg's Svetlana and Fryazino-based Istok companies. NIIP Deputy General Director Anatoly Sinani hopes flight test radar will be built in late 2006 or early 2007, as called for by a government program.

It was reported earlier that the Irbis radar, being developed for the Su-35 combat aircraft, will be standardized with MIRES radar to be installed in the PAC FA. In its early development phase, Irbis will feature a passive phased-array antenna similar to Bars, and will have mechanical drives for scanning at wide angles.

Interesting that last conference tidbit JCage!, would you appear to go to that semminar?...would be cool to hear any feedback.

I guess any NIIP work will be done along with Mikran (MMIC & TRM design) and NIIPP (manufacturing) who seems to be the more appropiate sub-contractors of such kind at Russia.

PiBU reported in Jane's IDR that the IAF wants an AESA radar for its Su-30MKI as part of a MLU in the future (maybe he can talk more about that after he returns from Bangalore ;) )...without a doubt NIIP will try to push such a contract.

Did you finished to R&D if the Bars Mk3 introduced Indian PSP as per Vetrivale program?...we can happily conclude that Mk1/Mk2 used old KhK Leninets Ts200...but there is no point to believe that final Mk3 standard didn't uses final Indian PSP...you commented me on that at private some moons ago ;D

You don't have excuses go to AI 2007 and ask that for us who live so far away!.

Will try to re-raise this topic as a combined Bars/Irbis thread.

BTW if you can please invite Harry to the forum and visit us more frequently :)

Some pics:

N-035 Irbis

Irbis-E phased array:

irbis_.jpg

Irbis-E functional squeme:

cxema.jpg

At the bench-tests at NIIP:

irbis_6.jpg

Pit said:
Interesting that last conference tidbit JCage!, would you appear to go to that semminar?...would be cool to hear any feedback.

I missed the entire airshow. :-\

I guess any NIIP work will be done along with Mikran (MMIC & TRM design) and NIIPP (manufacturing) who seems to be the more appropiate sub-contractors of such kind at Russia.

PiBU reported in Jane's IDR that the IAF wants an AESA radar for its Su-30MKI as part of a MLU in the future (maybe he can talk more about that after he returns from Bangalore ;) )...without a doubt NIIP will try to push such a contract.

I just hope though he wasnt quoting good old sengupta the great. :eek:

Did you finished to R&D if the Bars Mk3 introduced Indian PSP as per Vetrivale program?...we can happily conclude that Mk1/Mk2 used old KhK Leninets Ts200...but there is no point to believe that final Mk3 standard didn't uses final Indian PSP...you commented me on that at private some moons ago ;D

Well...not exactly...my point was that the GOI documentation shows that the PSP would arrive for the Bars by MK3 grade. So I was curious if this PSP was the Leninets Ts200 or something else, because after all..it was a feature to be introduced in Mk3 by which time NIIP had newer PSPs. The PSP was meant to be Russian as designing a PSP to changing russian requirements was deemed impractical.

You don't have excuses go to AI 2007 and ask that for us who live so far away!.

I was far far away myself. :-\

Su-35's Irbis-E antenna and 1:2 mockup at MAKS 2007

Attachments

• WebPic12.jpg
    WebPic12.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 247
  • WebPic11.jpg
    WebPic11.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 183
  • WebPic14.jpg
    WebPic14.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 211
Both Pero and I think Osa/Skat have been shown with clingfilm at previous MAKS. Not sure its really interesting.

The foil has been ubiquitous on NIIP's PESA antenna designs ever since the Zaslon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yELuKJFDM80
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhejuE7seNM

it is said that the irbis can detect 3sq m with range up to 350-400km. I wonder at what range it will be able to detect a 1sq m?

http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-Flanker-Radars.html

donnage99 said:
it is said that the irbis can detect 3sq m with range up to 350-400km. I wonder at what range it will be able to detect a 1sq m?

If it truly can detect a 3sqm target at 350-400km, then a 1 sqm target would be 265km - 300km. 0.01sq m would be 84-96km.

Radar detection range varies roughly with the fourth root of RCS.

overscan said:
donnage99 said:

If it truly can detect a 3sqm target at 350-400km, then a 1 sqm target would be 265km - 300km. 0.01sq m would be 84-96km.

Radar detection range varies roughly with the fourth root of RCS.
that is certainly longer than the raptor's APG-77, which is claimed to detect 1 sqm at 200+ km. However, a guy called TOAN over at f-16.net, using the same claims made of APG-77 and Ibris-E manufacturers, says:
F-22A with APG-77 shall be able to track MIG-31M at the range of 350 ~ 450 km+, and Su-35BM at the range of 200 ~ 265 km+.

Any thought?

Assuming 10 sq m for Su-27 or MiG-31 frontal RCS gives 350km+ ranges

Note however that the APG-77 is designed for discreet LPI operations, you are comparing apples and oranges. Not to mention, there is no evidence that the Irbis has actually demonstrated 350-400km detection range against a 3 sq m target.

I'm not comparing the two to say which one is "better." I'm just talking range exclusively. My question was by what calculation did the guy come to his conclusion that Ibris-E has lesser range than APG-77 while detecting a similar object?

As NIIP says - these impressive ranges would be obtained if radar searches in small sector of 10 by 10 degrees. So you have a scan for lets say 4-5 sec in 10x10 deg sector and ranges around 90km for 0,01 sqm target and 350-400km against 3 sqm (and targets must be closing and on the sky background). If you want to make a sweep in lets say 90 by 20 degrees in 4-5 sec - the ranges will fall in half.

intoxicated said:
As NIIP says - these impressive ranges would be obtained if radar searches in small sector of 10 by 10 degrees. So you have a scan for lets say 4-5 sec in 10x10 deg sector and ranges around 90km for 0,01 sqm target and 350-400km against 3 sqm (and targets must be closing and on the sky background). If you want to make a sweep in lets say 90 by 20 degrees in 4-5 sec - the ranges will fall in half.

Do you have any reference for this? (where does NIIP mention this?)

There are articles about Irbis radar on their official site. And the searching sector of 100 sq deg is mentioned. Nothing prodigous. Just a lot of power (5 kW average), great apperture (0,9 m in diameter), modern signal processing tehniques which ESA gives as an opportunities.

There is quite direct analogy with the exposure time in photography relating the radar range, but not exactly.

Thanks for the reply, a few points, if I may:
-I havent seen any ref to 100 sq degrees search at the NIIP site (checked after your comment)
-Sukhoi brochure gives max target acquisition & tracking angles at 120 (+/-) azimuth and (+/-60) elevation, see sukhoi.org f.e.
-Range mentioned (350-400 km) is not detection range but RWS/TWS.

This is a screenshot from an article named "Irbis-E - a new generation radar", magazine "Аэрокосмическое обозрение №1, 2006 г."

Attachments

• P733523688703.jpg
    P733523688703.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 280
this is cashed version of an article
http://209.85.129.132/search?q=cache:d8s_RjEcLvEJ:www.niip.ru/main.php%3Fpage%3Dlibrary_sky17+РЛСУ+"Ирбис-Э+-+радар+нового+поколения&cd=1&hl=ru&ct=clnk&gl=ru

I'd put a little bit caution in exact numbers as article directly says of performance Irbis-E *must* have according to MoD's RFP

I'd put a little bit caution in exact numbers as article directly says of performance Irbis-E *must* have according to MoD's RFP
Yes. But i have no doubt that the figures are approximately correct for the real device.

Thanks guys.

There seems to be a bit of an intepretation issue here.

The article (linked by both of you) says:

In this case in the regime of long-range detection in the zone of 100 sq. degrees, in the limits ± of 60° from the construction axle of aircraft, [RLSU] “Snow leopard- E” must detect aerial targets with EPR into 3 [m]2 and measure their distance: & - in the head-on courses - is not less than 350-400 km (with the height of purpose of more than 5000 m against the background sky- not less than 400 km); & - in the overtaking courses - is not less than 150 km (with the height of purpose not less than 10.000 m against the background of sky).

So, salient points - RWS (ie pretty much the same as TWS as long as there is enough time to build up a track file, eg see AWG link below), long range detection mode & 100 sq degrees, in the limits of +/- 60 degrees.

Basically, all this means is that it can focus on a 100 degree sector within the overall 60/60 degree azimuth slice and use its LR mode. Seems fairly decent to me.

Reason I say this is for comparisons sake, if we take the most powerful long range radar for fighters whose data is known to us for evaluating the tactical functionality and see how it worked. The AWG-9.

http://www.novia.net/~tomcat/AWG9.html

The slotted, planar array antenna has a 36-in (914-mm) diameter and has 2 rows of 6 dipole arrays for the Identification Friend or Foe (IFF) system. It is raster-scanned in "bars". The search area is subdivided into horizontal slices, the number of slices describing the particular pattern (e.g., a 4-bar pattern numbered 1 to 4 from bottom to top may scan in a 4-2-3-1 order). A broad sweep will take 13 seconds and divide a large 170-deg wide volume into 8 bars; the tightest pattern is a 1/4-second, 1-bar sweep over 10 deg. The AWG-9 can also scan in 2- and 4-bar patterns; intermediate azimuth limits are 20 and 40 deg.

So - it seems entirely reasonable for the Irbis-E to achieve these figures by subdividing the entire 120 degree azimuth slice into mini slices, and then scanning in its LR Mode. Given trignometry and ranges (350-400 km horizontal ranges), in terms of elevation, it should cover a decent amount of airspace to detect a tactically dispersed formation, even spread a km apart from aircraft to aircraft.

So the most important question is how much time does this mode take for effective detection? The Tomcat et al, had MSA, and early gen SPs. The ESA beam can be focused and refocused in microseconds. It can dwell on specific areas without waiting for a conventional scan.

So its logical to presume that it can cover the entire +/- 60 degree zone in a reasonable amount of time, and the radar controller will take this method of division into account. Thats the entire purpose of a radar beam controller, as cued by the WCS. Even if it achieves overall times equal to the AWG mentioned above, this is a very good achievement.

Is this tactically useful - I would certainly say so, and it beats most of the current gen radars, which btw would have the same issue and would address it the same way (even the APG-79 for instance uses time shared beam dwells and not individual beams). A group of Flankers would be very effective in covering a vast area of airspace, with a precision Weapons control system that can even cue weapons at the distance. If they have a wide area surveillance platform behind them, such as an AWACs, even better.

A video on youtube announced the new AESA radar contains 1500 TR modules for PAKFA picking. The mechanism of Russian AESA seems to be different from US style like AN/APG-77.

Why the Super Flanker don't make it in the market???? If the Russian just purchase it at large number i think it would be favorable then in international market and will help decelerate arm race due to many new generation weapon systems emerge

With respect, this is

1) hard to understand your meaning
2) off-topic for a discussion on a radar

Russia had no money to buy lots of Su-35s. I am rather uncertain how a Russian purchase of lots of Su-35s would "decelerate arm race".

Bars components as displayed at Aero India 2011. Note Ts551 signal processor.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-utNlpmIh5H4/USO0gFw18FI/AAAAAAAAEOI/TlJO0I2T6Iw/s1600/NO-11M+%27Bars%27+PESA-MMR.jpg

Aero India 2013:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-un-v-RvjP1E/UR6opQe90PI/AAAAAAAAENQ/tU1XAWM87P8/s1600/Russia-Supplied+Avionics-4.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-JSWjKMBDooQ/UR6ouUZZxfI/AAAAAAAAENY/Ak4y8Bx1o20/s1600/Russia-Supplied+Avionics-5.jpg

Improvements made to Bars on the basis of extensive usage by IAF, trials against various targets, under EW conditions etc. Latest production standard - hardware, software agreed to, under implementation at GRPZ (Ryazan) starting Feb2013 to April 2013. Data to be transferred to HAL thereafter for bringing all IAF MKIs to this standard.

Meanwhile, discussions underway on a more comprehensive Phase 1, Phase 2 contract. Phase 1 being a "Super PESA" (refer to previous reports) and Phase 2 (as of yet still farther out) to upgrade with PAKFA derived AESA tech. Phase 1 in current discussion.

Any ideas on what the current production standard would be? The Russian Su-30SMs have also received the latest Bars, so to speak, and these should both be similar.

Relevant to the thread...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cieLN4_tn0A

Last year, the flight trials involving the Su-35 fighter produced the unique aerial target acquisition results – much more than 400 km!
http://en.take-off.ru/pdf_to/to25.pdf

Sorrry to brought this thread up. but no info. Anyway i think this is the most appropriate place to discuss.

We know that Irbis and Bars basically a "middle ground" between AESA dan PESA as Irbis and Bars have their receive module inside their antenna. Thus giving them shorter receive path (although longer transmit path) Thus less receiving loss.

One thing i wonder however is how to appropriately take above into account when attempting to model range for that kind of "Hybrid array" ? Clearly treating them as conventional PESA array would be incorrect. However there are no real literature i found regarding on Hybrid array.

My conclusion for now however is that one should model the transmit loss the same way as conventional array. BUT The system temperature/Noise would be the same as AESA's.

According to Barton's literature (Radar Equations for Modern Radar) The noise temperature (The Kts) variable in radar includes the loss form the receiver. Further Finding i found that For "Solid State Phased array radar" , the value for System temperature would be 400K While "True PESA" is 600K (probably to take account the phase shifter loss) while conventional array is 500K.

I found this interesting reference, first time I’ve heard of the MSA bars being in service. No 24 squadron operates MKIs today but used the more standard SU-30 in the past that were later sold to Angola. I’m not sure which air is referring too.

Note that the N011M is different from the N011 "Mech" radar: the latter is mechanical scanning and equips the No 24 Sqn aircraft

I found this interesting reference, first time I’ve heard of the MSA bars being in service. No 24 squadron operates MKIs today but used the more standard SU-30 in the past that were later sold to Angola. I’m not sure which air is referring too.

Note that the N011M is different from the N011 "Mech" radar: the latter is mechanical scanning and equips the No 24 Sqn aircraft

It's probably a typo as the Myech Radar was N001.

the Mechanically steered N011 was never designated Myech nor it ever enter service. It was only destined for the Su-27M.

From NIIP

radar modes, included N011 and N011m.

Attachments

• E63C7B66-D8E3-482C-9960-A0AD201E9316.png
    E63C7B66-D8E3-482C-9960-A0AD201E9316.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 125
Found this pic on my PC. I downloaded it somewhere in 2015 and can't remember from where and what magazine it is.

View: https://imgur.com/SGeXMQp

This should be from an edition of "The XXI Century Encyclopedia, Russia's Arms and Technologies : Aircraft Armaments and Avionics"

Last edited: