American Secret Projects: Bombers, Attack and Anti-Submarine Aircraft OUT NOW!!

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A message from Tony Buttler.

Publication date is 2010. I have to hand the book over to Ian Allan in November 2009, so one would guess it would arrive maybe six months later - maybe Spring/early Summer 2010.

I was originally due to hand over in July but asked for a postponement for two reasons:
1. I hope to do some research in America late in the summer.
2. Another publisher wants a small book written for a September deadline and I could not turn that down. Working for myself I have to take what work I can get.

Sorry for the long gap between the two volumes, but I want to make sure I can get as much original material in as possible. There were some gaps in Fighters (although Jared has now managed to fill several of them) and I want to try and make sure there are not too many in Bombers and Attack Aircraft as well.

overscan said:
A message from Tony Buttler.

2. Another publisher wants a small book written for a September deadline and I could not turn that down. Working for myself I have to take what work I can get.

Small book about ... ? - More details please ;) . Thanks

Wow, this is great news!

I have Mr Buttler's other American book as well as the three British.

I will start saving now!

Hi overscan!

If you can tell me what the project will be in the book?

nugo said:
Hi overscan!

If you can tell me what the project will be in the book?

Pass - Tony is still researching and writing it, so no details likely till next year at the earliest

G

Tony Buttler and Chris Gibson continue to give us our fix of what-ifs.
I understand that the source material for the US books is vast so has
taken serious work to get done. Again, it is very much appreciated.

UK 75

:eek:

I am saving from this very second - oh now I am going to have to go have a lay down... cannot wait and will be in the queue for this on day 1!

This must have been the small book. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sturgeon-Target-tug-Extraordinaire-Tony-Buttler/dp/0946958777/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258084366&sr=1-3/

This is the month Tony was to hand in the manuscript for the bombers book.

Latest update from Tony.

Hi All.
Sturgeon was a small book I wrote for AdHoc in January and it turned out to be a fascinating exercise because the aircraft itself was pretty good and I also learnt quite a bit about target work. Very little has been published about that job and there are some nice pictures in there as well and some colour artwork. Print run will not be large obviously, but hopefully it will appeal to enough readers.

I also had to stop ASP Bombers for two months in the summer to do DH Hornet and Sea Hornet for Dalrymple & Verdun. I much enjoyed this as well because it is another favourite aircraft. We have David Collins on board who is planning to build a full size Hornet replica (or at least a fuselage for now) and he has supplied some marvellous photos which have not been published before. The cockpit is complete. Check David's website on
www.dhhornet50.net
If no good, just do a search for 'Hornet Project'. There is a good deal in there on surviving Hornet bits and pieces as well.

I think both books are planned for publication before Christmas, although we are always in the hands of the printers for deadlines like that.

ASP Bombers has about another 5,000 words to go I think. Should be able to hand over at the start of December. It is due to be published in about August/September of 2010. Basically it has to take its place in the queue - Ian Allan in its various guises publishes about 110 books a year I believe. I have just started sorting out subjects for the front cover painting - latest candidates are the Martin XB-68 or the Republic AP-42.

I managed to get a look at Ed's Japanese Secret Projects last week at IPMS Telford - splendid effort! Sorry guys but I get a freebie on this one because I was asked to do a bit of editing. I read the text ages ago, but Saturday was the first time I had seen any illustrations or drawings.

Thanks again to everyone on the forum who have helped me with material, especially for ASP, and indeed to all of you for your support. I hope at least some of you will find these forthcoming titles of interest.

Thanks for the update Tony (via overscan).

As soon as I see this on Amazon for pre-order, I am there!

Wiil make a great addition to the British and one American book I have already........

Noticed this today on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/American-Secret-Projects-Anti-Submarine-Aircraft/dp/1857803310/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266270364&sr=1-20
Funny, they don't have it listed on Amazon UK.

They now have a preliminary cover shown on Amazon.

Cover art plus note revised title.

Attachments

• 51KR8Oq8-lL._SS500_.jpg
    51KR8Oq8-lL._SS500_.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 393
Hi All!

Yes, very good book.
Cover---Republic Model AP-42 or ?

Today I paid for this book in accordance with Amazon's request. Will I receive this book soon?

blackkite said:
Today I paid for this book in accordance with Amazon's request. Will I receive this book soon?

bad news: Publisher: Midland Publishing (October 21, 2010)
good news: you have saved $13.58 (34%) as you pre-paid your copy

Thanks flateric! I see. I felt too early and too cheap to get my copy.
And it simply Amazon's misinformation or joke, I received my another order, Flying wings and tailless aircraft. ;D

Great to see it includes Anti-Submarine aircraft also!
Its also great to see that it only goes as far as 1974 - which means there could be a Part II!
Well my wife will be most impressed! For I have just solved my X-Mas gift from her to me! ;D

Thanks for keeping us posted on events Overscan

Regards
Pioneer

A part II ? Probably around 2025 with the current pace of de-classification...

Well, I hope to be still alive by then :D

News from Tony is that the book is complete, he's very pleased with it, and its just up to Ian Allan when its released. So getting close now!

overscan said:
News from Tony is that the book is complete, he's very pleased with it, and its just up to Ian Allan when its released. So getting close now!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

Hmm ... ? I really don't undestand Amazon.

As far what Tony told me he will have a signing-session for / with the new book at Telford ... and I will be there !!!!! ;D

Deino

Deino said:

As far what Tony told me he will have a signing-session for / with the new book at Telford ... and I will be there !!!!! ;D

Deino

Oh, I'm quite sure. But I got an email on Sunday from Amazon that said the book will not be "shipped" until January 3rd, 2011.

Deino said:

Deino

Well come over and say hello, we'll be on the Project Cancelled SIG stand all weekend, along with Joe & Duncan.

Cheers

Geoff

Thorvic said:
Deino said:

Deino

Well come over and say hello, we'll be on the Project Cancelled SIG stand all weekend, along with Joe & Duncan.

Cheers

Geoff

Yes ... surely I will come !!! Thanks a lot !

Deino

Hi All. Just to let you know that I have been booked to do a signing session for American Secret Projects: Bombers at IPMS Telford on Saturday 13th November. I think it should be at around 11.00am and will be with The Aviation Bookshop.

I understand that the book is currently at the binders, and so I hope it gets delivered in time. It is apparently on schedule.

For American distributors, it is important to note that bulk quantities of books from the UK are supplied by ship, not by air (which is very expensive) and that is why dates for availability in the US can be around 5 weeks later than the UK.

Very best wishes, Tony.

overscan said:

Hi All. Just to let you know that I have been booked to do a signing session for American Secret Projects: Bombers at IPMS Telford on Saturday 13th November. I think it should be at around 11.00am and will be with The Aviation Bookshop.

I understand that the book is currently at the binders, and so I hope it gets delivered in time. It is apparently on schedule.

For American distributors, it is important to note that bulk quantities of books from the UK are supplied by ship, not by air (which is very expensive) and that is why dates for availability in the US can be around 5 weeks later than the UK.

Very best wishes, Tony.

Ahh, we understand. While not in "America" per se, Canada is awefully close.

Does Dave Hatherall stil run the Aviation Bookshop?

ASP Bombers is in the warehouse and so my signing session should be up and running at IPMS on Saturday. I have no information I'm afraid about delivery dates, but in the UK these should not be far away.
Very best wishes,
Tony.

I got my hands on a copy at this weekend's Scale Model World in Telford :)

I've only been able to have a cursory glance through the contents so far, but I'm liking what I am seeing. The section on pre-TFX strike studies is most interesting.

cheers

Duncan