Martin Model 242 ???

boxkite

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
The "Flight" magazine from 4 April 1952 (page 407) presented this heavily retouched model picture (or artist's impression?) of a "Martin design-study for a large, high-speed, pure-jet flying-boat". Orionblamblam wrote me that "this might simply be an early SeaMaster concept. Another possibility (I have only this descriptions, no further info): Model 242 Assault transport seaplane."

Scott, did you get new information during the last six years? Anybody among the other enthusiasts who can help to identify the type?

Attachments

• Martin jet flying-boat design.JPG
    Martin jet flying-boat design.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 652
Without reading the description, my first impression was also P6M Seamaster. If it is not, Seamaster was model 275 so this can be some pre-Seamaster study. However contract to two P6M prototypes was signed in 1952, the same year as your Flight magazine, so it indicates the same. Author of the article wrote about new development program and needed something to ilustrate...

Does anyone have further information or 3-view drawings of the Martin Model 242?

On a recent research trip for one of my projects, I came across these of the Martin 242-1 Assault Seaplane Transport. It was to be powered by four MENASCO L-1000S propeller drive gas turbines and had an estimated gross weight of 334,947lbs!

I was unable to obtain enough weight to flatten the drawings, so apologies for the nice curves in the middle of each image. I hope they are of interest none the less.

Attachments

• Martin-242-1-Artist-Concept-NARA.jpg
    Martin-242-1-Artist-Concept-NARA.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 163
  • Martin-242-1-General-Arrangement-NARA.jpg
    Martin-242-1-General-Arrangement-NARA.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 168
Another image that I captured is the interior arrangement of the 242-1.
In case you wondered, there is a 242-2 that I will post when I get the images ready.

Attachments

• Maerin-242-1-Interior-Arrangement-NARA.jpg
    Maerin-242-1-Interior-Arrangement-NARA.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 186
On a recent research trip for one of my projects, I came across these of the Martin 242-1 Assault Seaplane Transport. It was to be powered by four MENASCO L-1000S propeller drive gas turbines and had an estimated gross weight of 334,947lbs!
Martin general arrangement diagrams were always pretty distinct... you knew who they were by even if stripped of data and logos.

The Martin 242-2 proposal offered a different layout. Having twin booms and an "Assault Cargo Hull" that detaches from the aircraft. Same engine configuration as the 242-1 with a gross weight of 381,887lbs. Not a light weight by any measure. Again apologies for the rolled look, these had been stored in a folded condition for many years, are thick and with the current setup I was unable to obtain satisfactory means of flattening them out to scan/photograph. Maybe next time!

Attachments

• Martin-242-2-Artist-Concept-NARA.jpg
    Martin-242-2-Artist-Concept-NARA.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 166
  • Martin-242-2-General-Arrangement-NARA.jpg
    Martin-242-2-General-Arrangement-NARA.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 171
  • Maerin-242-2-Interior-Arrangement-NARA.jpg
    Maerin-242-2-Interior-Arrangement-NARA.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 162
Martin general arrangement diagrams were always pretty distinct... you knew who they were by even if stripped of data and logos.

My dear Scott,I want to kidding with you,

if I live in USA like you,I will sweap all museums and libraries to get available archive to each company,from all over the country :D:D

Last edited:
There's something to be said for a house style. It's not impossible in the CAD age, but you do see less of it these days.

The Martin 242-2 proposal offered a different layout. Having twin booms and an "Assault Cargo Hull" that detaches from the aircraft. Same engine configuration as the 242-1 with a gross weight of 381,887lbs. Not a light weight by any measure. Again apologies for the rolled look, these had been stored in a folded condition for many years, are thick and with the current setup I was unable to obtain satisfactory means of flattening them out to scan/photograph. Maybe next time!
From, Rivista marittima 1954.

Attachments

• 13.png
    13.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 57
  • 14.png
    14.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 59