Register here

Author Topic: F-14 Tomcat Projects  (Read 69852 times)

Offline Sundog

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
F-14 Tomcat Projects
« on: August 14, 2006, 11:13:53 pm »
I was wondering if anyone has any more information on the version of the Tomcat II shown in the image below? It's obviously stealthier than the standard version and has inlets similar to the F-22, but I was wondering if anyone here has all three views or any renderings or pictures of models of the version shown in the image. This is from an article in Flight Journal comparing the Super Hornet and the Tomcat.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 06:11:16 am by flateric »

Offline borntokillagain

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
Re: F-14 Tomcat Projects
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 07:02:34 am »
Is it anything like this one ?

Offline Sentinel Chicken

• American 71 Heavy, contact departure 126.47
    • TAILS THROUGH TIME: Short Trips on the Long Road of Aviation History
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 07:23:16 am »
I believe borntokillagain's image is the Naval ATF variant that was under study for quite some time- that was a completely different lineage from the F-14 as it was to be based on what became the F-22 Raptor if I remember right.

Offline TinWing

• What-if addict
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 11:54:39 am »
Is it anything like this one ?

Both Matej and Paralay have both uploaded that exact image.

What is the original source?

Offline PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 12:04:14 pm »
Looks to me like one of Paralay's self-made drawings.
"They can't see our arses for dust."

- Sir Sydney Camm

Offline Sundog

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 01:49:23 pm »
The aircraft shown in those images from Borntokillagain and Tinwing is one of Lockheed Martin's AF/X submissions, which was what followed the A-12 debacle then was replaced when the programme to research advanced STOVL concepts was morphed into the JSF programme and the Super Hornet Programme was added to replace the F-14 and the high end/long range segment of the attack. Well, sort of like that. How we got to the Super Hornet and Lightning II is incredibly convuluted to say the least.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 03:46:04 pm by Sundog »

Offline Matej

• Deputy Administrator
  • Multiuniversal creator
    • Hitechweb - bizare aviation
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 02:11:19 pm »
Picture posted by borntokillagain is Boeing/Lockheed/General Dynamics submission to A/F-X program called AFX-653. It is generally navalized F-22. 2-view drawing is from Paralay, more artists impressions and photo of the model here:

http://www.hitechweb.genezis.eu/stealth4.htm

And my commentary to the first picture - pure what if. Nothing more. Too much modifications to use efectivelly on Tomcat and too weired as a new design.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 11:19:44 am by Matej »

Bizarre aviation expert.

Offline Sundog

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 02:21:15 pm »
Actually, that design, the Tomcat II, is a Grumman design, and my guess is it was a new build version designed to use as much of the existing jigs, etc and the knowledge base of the Tomcat structurally. But it was sort of a cheap attempt to get into the stealth game in much the same way that the B-1B was an attempt to get a "Stealth Bomber" out of the original B-1A design.

In much the same way that there have been drawings of design studies of a "stealthier" Tornado from BAE with the reshaped forward fuselage and inlets.

BTW, thanks for re-informing me that that AF/X design is Boeing/L-M/GD. I kept looking at it thinking it's Boeing, no L-M, but the jpg's I have saved of it I labeled Lockheed without the other companies, my bad. Although, I do like the version that was just a Rockwell/Lockheed submission more, that's shown in the back of Jay Miller's Skunk Works book. Of course, there was also the G-D/L-M design that was another completely different design, all though all three were V-G.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 02:33:08 pm by Sundog »

Offline PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 02:33:12 pm »
Grumman actually built a "stealthified" modified A-6 mockup, in an attempt to show stealth knowhow for the AX (A-12) program.
"They can't see our arses for dust."

- Sir Sydney Camm

Offline elmayerle

• Aerospace Engineer
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 05:57:28 pm »
I believe Sundog's illustration comes from an article Adm. (Rtd) Gilchrist wrote for Flight Journal pushing for the retention and upgrading of the F-14 rather than, or in addition to, proceding with the F/A-18E/F.  Personally, I rather like the idea and would love to get a good, high-resolution, scan of that drawing.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 10:11:28 pm by elmayerle »

Offline Sentinel Chicken

• American 71 Heavy, contact departure 126.47
    • TAILS THROUGH TIME: Short Trips on the Long Road of Aviation History
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 06:56:12 pm »
Looks to me like one of Paralay's self-made drawings.
Are you referring to the AF/X design graphic? I have a large format image of that same design that came from an old issue of Flight International (don't know what year, I got it from Deino a while back).

Online Deino

• Our China Correspondent
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 12:44:59 am »
Personally, I rather like the idea and would love to get a good, high-resolution, scan of that drawing.

For those, who ask .... Here it is !!!!!   

Deino 
He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last forever; I was wrong.
For nothing now can ever come to any good.
-------------------------------------------------
W.H.Auden (1945)

Offline TinWing

• What-if addict
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006, 10:54:22 am »
Personally, I rather like the idea and would love to get a good, high-resolution, scan of that drawing.

For those, who ask .... Here it is !!!!!   

Deino 

The "belly stores" look like JDAMs?

I thought this project would have predated the JDAM?

Offline Matej

• Deputy Administrator
  • Multiuniversal creator
    • Hitechweb - bizare aviation
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 12:00:20 pm »
Although, I do like the version that was just a Rockwell/Lockheed submission more, that's shown in the back of Jay Miller's Skunk Works book.

BTW, I found it to be the best available explanation of "Northrop AX-17" rumours. Just take a look...

Bizarre aviation expert.

Offline Sundog

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2006, 01:53:18 pm »
The first one is actually from Air Forces Monthly (I think; That's an edit. I'm trying to find my pic of it) magazine in the UK, based on what they think crashed at Take-Off at Boscombe Down back in 1994. I think the aircraft is actually the Fast Mover that's been seen flying out of Area 51 and recently out of Yokata Air Base in Japan. The eye witnesses compared some of it's features to the YF-23, but I think they primarily meant the exhaust nozzles and I think the type, based on other reports, has the engines right next to each other on the centerline, not separate. I think it doesn't have serated trailing edges though, I think it's actual planform is more like what they had on the cover a few years ago of what was seen flying out of Area 51. I'll scan that in this weekend if someone doesn;t beat me to it ;)

The bottom is the AF/X design I was referring to upthread, as you note, that looks so cool to me. My guess is that's too new to be the AX-17 or what I think resulted as part of the ASTRA programme. Avaiation Week recently reported that location of the GE J-93's built for the XB-70 program are currently unknown. I think it's probably a good bet they are what power the ASTRA/AX_17, but that's just my guess. Although I think they may have been rebuilt with uprated turbine/fan technology. That's all just a guess on my part though.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 08:22:00 pm by Sundog »