Register here

Author Topic: Doman helicopter projects  (Read 12738 times)

Offline boxkite

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Doman helicopter projects
« on: August 11, 2006, 01:53:57 pm »
Is anybody familiar with the designs of Gliddon S Doman? This larger one was shown in "Der Flieger" magazine issue 9/1954 (page 206), but nothing about a D-... designation ...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 04:56:11 pm by Stargazer2006 »

Offline snurg

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
Re: Doman helicopter projects
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 01:23:15 pm »
Is anybody familiar with the designs of Gliddon S Doman? This larger one was shown in "Der Flieger" magazine issue 9/1954 (page 206), but nothing about a D-... designation ...

Only vaguely.  Glid Doman's company built about a dozen helicopters.  You probably can find information from the AHS website: http://www.vtol.org/ and the New England Air Museum: http://www.neam.org/articles/a_doman1.asp

Doman, temporarily, made Connecticut the undisputed center of the helicopter universe, with Sikorsky, Kaman (both still exists, and both still make new helicopters) and Doman.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 01:25:20 pm by snurg »

Offline Barrington Bond

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 03:42:15 pm »
The Aeroplane 2 November 1956.

"It hasn't squeaked in a week!"

Online Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 11:41:30 am »
Another photo of the Doman Fleet ASW helicopter :
(from InterAVia Bulletin 1956)
It takes a long time, before all mistakes are made ...

Offline dnellis

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 06:32:37 pm »
After receiving a layoff from Sikorsky Aircraft, I had the opportunity to work for Glidden Doman in 1959 - 1962.

He had originally worked as an engineer for Sikorsky Helicopter and had proposed a new transmission/rotorhead design which was not readily accepted by the engineering department of Sikorsky Aircraft. He had faith in the theory of his new design and soon left Sikorsky to find his own company. All of the dozen or so of us working at Doman Helicopters had faith in the design which was remarkable. Most helicopters of the time had a massive gear reduction at the reciprocating engine and power was transmitted to the transmission/rotorhead as low speed/high torque via a hollow shaft of 5 to 6 inches in diameter.

The Doman design had engine gearing that sped up the output RPM to transmit power via a solid shaft of about 1 and a half inches diameter at a high revolution. The force being transmitted was low torque/high speed.   

The rotorhead transmission was completely enclosed. All mechanical linkages were housed within the transmission body which gave the appearance of having the rotor blades project from the large transmission "can" which sat above the fuselage. The efficiency of the design allowed the Doman helicopter to carry a much higher payload and it was much more efficient at altitude. It was the only helicopter of the period which had the ability to cross the Andes Mountains carrying a payload. Many of the records then set remain unbroken.

Test pilots reported the absence of high vibration and ease of control. Due to it's stability, the craft could be flown without having a death grip on both yoke and cyclic sticks.

War is the father of all great developments, and if Doman could have survived into the Vietnam War era we would see the Doman design as the standard of today's helicopter.

The system was patented and information may be attained through the U. S. Patent Office. As these patents have now expired it may be time for someone to resurrect the design.

Offline dnellis

Offline Barrington Bond

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 11:02:35 am »
Very enlightening thank you for posting that :)

Regards,
Barry
"It hasn't squeaked in a week!"

Offline Hood

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 09:06:20 am »
I wonder if Boxkite's first post shows the Berlin-Doman BD-19?
It seems that this new firm was created after the demise of Doman Helicopters Inc. maybe around the same time as the Puerto Rico based Caribe Doman company was formed. I know nothing about the BD-19 other than the designation.

Offline Skyblazer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 07:47:30 pm »
I wonder if Boxkite's first post shows the Berlin-Doman BD-19?
It seems that this new firm was created after the demise of Doman Helicopters Inc. maybe around the same time as the Puerto Rico based Caribe Doman company was formed. I know nothing about the BD-19 other than the designation.

No it's not. I do not have a picture of the BD-19 but I know it was to be an 8-seat transport helicopter powered by two Allison turbines.

The only Doman project of that size that I know of was the HC-3, "transportable bodily by a Fairchild C-120 Packet and designed to carry a 6,600-lb load for no miles, or 1,300 lb for 1,400 miles. As a flying crane it could lift a 12,000-lb object for a short distance; troop capacity would be 33." I don't know if this is the HC-3, though.

Offline hesham

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 06:36:55 am »
Hi,

I think it was Berlin-Doman BD-19.

For the HC-3,please see;

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,3107.msg25096.html#msg25096

Offline Skyblazer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 06:51:06 am »
Thanks a lot for the BD-19 photograph... but it can't be the same as the one in the first pic. Check the length of it, the number of windows, the shape of the fuselage...

Offline Platt-LePage Aircraft

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
    • Platt-LePage Aircraft Co. Archives
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 01:41:22 pm »
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 01:44:17 pm by Platt-LePage Aircraft »

Offline Skyblazer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 01:46:32 pm »
Gosh! Thanks for the pointer. I didn't even suspect Glidden Doman was still alive!

Offline Platt-LePage Aircraft

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
    • Platt-LePage Aircraft Co. Archives
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 06:56:59 pm »
He may be the last of the original helicopter pioneers left.

My last PL-LP contact passed away in 2009.

Offline Skyblazer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 04:59:32 pm »
I recently came across this very lousy picture of a 1958 helicopter refered to only as the Doman D-12.

Has anyone heard of this one before? It could be a small R/C model of course, but it could also be a genuine prototype. Hard to tell given the poor quality here...