Register here

Author Topic: Beyond the Rainbow: Republic Turboprop and Jet Airliners  (Read 22068 times)

Offline circle-5

• Concept Models Guy
  • Top Contributor
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: Beyond the Rainbow: Republic Turboprop and Jet Airliners
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2014, 11:47:28 am »
The Jet Rainbow landing gear is probably not far from the truth. If somebody from the Cradle of Aviation Museum is reading this, please do not hesitate to help!

Thank you Jens.

Offline Skyblazer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2014, 04:35:18 pm »
Very nice work, Jemiba!

Online hesham

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2014, 03:30:44 am »
Great work my dear Jemiba.

Offline foiling

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2014, 08:47:27 am »
Thanks Jemiba, another very impressive work of art from you. Much appreciated.

Offline MaxLegroom

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
  • Why not?
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2014, 02:31:27 pm »
Did we have an artwork of the turboprop Rainbow yet?

SOURCE: aero magazine 1958 (page 127)

Going by the appearance of the engine nacelles, I'd say it's powered by Allison 501/T56 engines.
According to World's Fastest Four-Engine Piston-Powered Aircraft:  Republic XR-12 Rainbow, the engines, despite the similar nacelle shapes, were to be either Rolls-Royce Darts or General Electric T64s.

The proposal was also said to have dated from 1955, though even as the first 707s were about to enter service, they were still trying to sell this to the airlines.  The real tragedy was that the RC-2 never was built nor entered service.  The jet powered Rainbow proposals look like they'd have been good competition for the C-102. 

Online Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2014, 09:20:54 am »
Still in b/w only, here's the V-tailed jet transport. Principally quite similar to the other one, its rear fuselage
is somewhat wider and taper begins further aft, so the cargo bay would have been bigger. It's not only fitted
with a rear loading ramp, but with an upper hatch, too. Reason may be, that this arrangement allows using the
full height of the cargo bay, whereas in the variant with the conventional tail, loads certainly would have to be
somewhat lower (see first sketch). Those clamshell doors on the other hand would demand a considerable different
structure of the rear fuselage, actually turning it into a kind of twin boom aircraft.
Nevertheless my main problem here was the main landing gear again (Sorry for bothering again and again with this
component, I know, it's kind of a kink of mine, but to my opinion, without a landing gear such an aircraft would be
pretty useless. So, if such a model was built, I expect, that some of those masters of aircraft design had had some
thoughts about it. It's just not always obvious for us ordinary mortal, to follow those thoughts).
As it certainly had to fit into those nacelles. I assumed, that a likely choice for an engine could have been the GE/Allison
J35 or J47, or the Wright J65. Without reheat all of them would have had a length of about 3,500 mm (140 inch)and a
diameter of about  1,000 to 1,200 mm (38 to 47 inch. The size of the nacelles can be determined relativey easy on
the model, my problem was just to squeeze those two engines and the landing gear into them. Made a sketch, that
shall show, what the internal arrangement maybe could look like and by placing the engines in the aft part of the nacelles,
there is some space left for the wheels and even sufficient room for the inlet of the lower engine, I think. Another
difference between the two variants is the bigger area of flaps and ailerons on the V-tail version,at least on the model
they clearly have a wider chord.
It takes a long time, before all mistakes are made ...

Offline Skyblazer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2014, 09:46:36 am »
YUMMY!!!!!  :P

Online Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2014, 02:49:26 am »
As already announced, here's some colour. Thinking about a paint schem, I had the idea of a presidential
transport (not sure, if the term "Airforce One" was already in use in the '50s/early '60s ?). May have
been used instead of the Boeing 707, so a similar livery seemd plausible to me. Doubts about an
aircraft with a rear loading ramp for that purpose, I could appease for myself with the explanation,
that it could have not only carried the president, but his sedan as well.

Online hesham

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2014, 04:32:32 am »
Wow,excellent my dear Jemiba.

Offline MaxLegroom

• Why not?
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2014, 01:51:48 pm »
Very nice work indeed, but that plane would have been around a long time for it to wear those colors.  These proposals were old enough that some of them have a suffix after the N on the registration number, which was phased out about 1949 (?).  How would it have looked with the C118 Independence colors on it?

Online Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2014, 02:07:20 am »
...  How would it have looked with the C118 Independence colors on it?

You mean that one, don't you ? http://aviadejavu.ru/Images6/AE/AE03-6/67-3.jpg
You're certainly right about being around a long time, maybe I should have chosen this schem
http://aviadejavu.ru/Images6/AE/AE03-6/66-1.jpg, from waht I know, it was used from 1962
onwards.

Offline MaxLegroom

• Why not?
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2014, 05:52:02 am »
That was exactly what I meant, and here's a different picture of it.

http://www.aiga.org/air-force-one-the-graphic-history/

I just learned a bit about the color scheme for Air Force One by looking it up.  I had no idea that it was designed by Raymond Loewy, who also designed the original color scheme for United's jets, and don't get me started about his firm's work for Studebaker, as you'll likely not get me to stop...

Online Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2014, 06:25:46 am »
Actually, when looking for paint schemes for an "Airforce One",  I already had seen this.
It looks great and it lends itself perfectly for the DC-6/C-118, due to the shape of the nose
of that type., but I'm not sure about the Jet Rainbow. But I think, I'll have a try ...

Online Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2014, 03:53:40 am »
Hm, the cockpit windows are quite disturbing here, I think. Really not sure, that
Raymond Loewy would have adopted it for this type. Just tell me yor opinion.

Offline RAP

« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2014, 07:25:40 am »
I agree, the profile does not lend itself to this design.  Maybe lower the beak below the windows?