Register here

Author Topic: Vought F-8 Projects  (Read 13813 times)

Offline Pioneer

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • Seek out and close with the enemy
Vought F-8 Projects
« on: August 07, 2006, 04:48:48 am »
I was flicking through some of my old magazine extracts that I have collected over the years (a photocopy when photo copiers were as amazing as computers are today!). I came across an article about the Vought IF-8 Crusader.
It was apparently a proposal of based on the Vought F-8D Crusader to the Luftwaffe for a supersonic fighter, at the time that the Luftwaffe was assessing the English Electric Lightning, Mirage III, J35 Draken, XF11F-2 Super Tiger and the F-104 Starfighter to replace its Sabres and F-84’s.
The IF-8 Crusader was to have had a General Electric J79-GE-17 Turbojet, in place of the normal Pratt & Whitney J57 turbojet; increased internal fuel capacity, and a so-called USAF cockpit and modified offensive weapons.
As history has shown, Germany chose the Lockheed F-104G Starfighter.

Does anyone know anything about the Vought IF-8 Crusader?
Or was this just the V-1000? ???

Regards
Pioneer

« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 10:44:58 pm by PaulMM (Overscan) »
And remember…remember the glory is not the exhortation of war, but the exhortation of man.
Mans nobility, made transcendent in the fiery crucible of war.
Faithfulness and fortitude.
Gentleness and compassion.
I am honored to be your brother.”

— Lt Col Ralph Honner DSO M

Offline Skybolt

• Top Contributor
Re: Vought F-8 Projects
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 09:12:05 am »
V-1000 is from 1969. The German (and Italian) program was from the start of the '60s. This project is intriguing. It seems it never received a V-number. Don't know  if the V8-U2 (later F-8D) airframe could receive a J-79 without  major modifications. Idea, what  if it was the F8-U3 reborn? It was offered to the USAF with a specific version (don't remember the V-) and the engine was the J-75...

Offline elmayerle

• Aerospace Engineer
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 09:23:53 pm »
J79 as a replacement for the J57 is reasonable, the thrust is the same and the overall engine envelope is a bit less.  That would make sense in a lot of ways.  *grin* That the chief engineer behind the J79 was an Americanized German (by way of the AVG, no less) would not have hurt.  Using the J75 would've required the larger airframe of the F8U-3 since the J75 was essentially an enlarged J57.

Offline Archibald

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 10:49:35 am »
So there was tow proposal for a J-79 crusader (IF-8 / V-1000)  ???

The Crusader is well known for its brilliant performances over Vietnam. At a time, it was the only valuable fighter in the american arsenal (the Phantom has its difficulties, the F-104 was a turkey. what else ?)

Now, this was achieved with the old and heavy J-57 engine...

I compared the J-57 with the J-79 some weeks ago (on the whatif forum  ;)) .
Just wanted to say that the J-57 was 2300 kg and 6.20 m long. Diameter in 1.15m
On the other hand, the J-79 was only 1600 kg and...5 m long. Diameter = 1.05 m !

For a  roughly equal thrust(7800 kgp or so). Can you imagine the benefits of changing a J-57 for a J-79 ?  :o

This plane would have been ideal for the Essex carriers, which were too small for Phantoms (I mean, J-79 powered variants. Americanised spey Phantoms were proposed for use on... small carriers. See what I mean ?  ;) )

I red that in Vietnam air protection of smaller carrier was assumed by Skyhawks with AIM-9  ??? 

I thought, too that the V-1000 was a proposal from the late 50's. Hmmm there's a cool alternate world to imagine, in which Vought sell the Crusader III to USAF, the
IF-8  and V-1000 are produced until 1972 for USN and Foreign customers (including navies of countries such as Brazil, France, GB...).

Conservatoire de l'Air et de l'Espace d'Aquitaine
http://www.caea.info/en/plan.php

Profanity: weaker mind trying to speak forcefully

Political correctness: just bury your head in the sand for the sake of appeasement and "peace for our time"
- https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serge_Dassault#Affaires_

Offline RyanC

• Crazy Researcher
    • Alternate Wars
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 12:19:19 am »
Escape Capsuel Concept.

Offline Mark Nankivil

• Archive Raider
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 08:18:07 pm »
...and in color...

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Offline Hammer Birchgrove

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 09:33:18 am »
Fascinating concept. I know that XF-108 Rapier interceptor and the XB-70 Valkyrie bomber were going to have escape capsules. I've read somewhere that one of the V-bombers (the Victor IIRC) were supposed to have an escape capsule to the whole crew; rather than just having ejection seats only for the pilots, forcing the rest of the crew to parachute; with the risks involved.
To the heroism of the Resistance Fighters -- past, present and future -- this post is respectfully dedicated.

Offline frank

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 10:40:25 am »

The F-111 had a capsule & IIRC, the original B-1 was to use a capsule.

Fascinating concept. I know that XF-108 Rapier interceptor and the XB-70 Valkyrie bomber were going to have escape capsules. I've read somewhere that one of the V-bombers (the Victor IIRC) were supposed to have an escape capsule to the whole crew; rather than just having ejection seats only for the pilots, forcing the rest of the crew to parachute; with the risks involved.

Offline sferrin

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 10:50:36 am »
The B-58 also used capsules.

http://www.ejectionsite.com/b58capsule.htm
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline Hammer Birchgrove

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 11:38:29 am »
Thanks guys.  :)
To the heroism of the Resistance Fighters -- past, present and future -- this post is respectfully dedicated.

Offline fightingirish

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 11:38:49 am »
Dear folks,
other interesting escape concepts are shown in the following topic.
Link: http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1893.0/all.html
You also see the mockup of Escape Capsuel Concept for the F-8 Crusader.
http://www.chinalakealumni.org/IMAGES/1961/Oscar%20F8U%20ddOCT61%20CLK%20NAN.jpg
Mock up of Chance Vought Optimum Survival and Containment System (OSCAR) escape capsule. The solid fuel rocket motors were designed by China Lake.

2 pictures of the TF-8A (F8U-1T) at SDASM Archives.
Link: http://www.flickr.com/search/?ss=2&w=49487266%40N07&q=F8U-1T&m=text

« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 11:46:16 am by fightingirish »
Slán,
fightingirish

Slán ist an Irish Gaelic word for Goodbye.  :)

McDonnell Douglas Model 225 painting by "The Artist" Michael Burke (Tavush) 2018, found at deviantart.com and at Secret Projects Forum » Research Topics » User Artwork » McDonnell Douglas Model 225 Painting

Offline Mark Nankivil

• Archive Raider
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 07:01:36 am »
I look at the F-8 capsule with the fins and can only think the pilot can steer it to the point of impact.  Ouch.

The prototype B-1s had capsules but the B-1B is ejection seat equipped.  The XB-70 also had individual capsules - part of the reason that Major Cross was killed after the F-104 collision as the ejection seat could not retract back into the capsule to allow the start of the ejection sequence do to G forces that had built up.

Mark

Offline Apollo Leader

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 01:11:50 pm »
One has got to wonder if you eject that much of the aircraft off in an emergency (especially in combat) what if it were itself heavily damaged by enemy fire before ejecting?  Wouldn't also the forward section now be an easy target for AAA, SAM's, and enemy fighters?  It just screams, "Shoot me".
Richard

Offline Triton

• Donald McKelvy
    • Deep Blue to Wild Blue
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 10:40:53 am »
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 11:11:22 am by Triton »

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
    • Aerospace Projects Review
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 11:56:26 am »
FWIW:

Aerospace Projects Review

And so the endless circle of life comes to an end, meaningless and grim. Why did they live, and why did they die? No reason. Two hundred million years of evolution snuffed out, for in the end Nature is horrific and teaches us nothing