Klemm Designations

Wurger

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Hello lads,

I assume my almost total ignorance on this small german manufacturer. All that I know is here. As usual, if someone knows more please fill in the blanks:

Klemm Aircraft Projects

E...
E34 - Biplane trainer
E37 - Twin engined Communications/touring aircraft ( later Kl104/Si104 Hallore )
E...
E63 - Parasol wing carrier-borne recce
E64 - Biplane version of the E63.

A new book (volume 1 of 2) was published recently:

"Klemm-Flugzeuge" by Paul Zöller.

It contains descriptions of all Klemm planes and a history of the company.

The second volume should contain among others a list with all the preserved, stored and active Klemm planes.

OMG,

please Viggen,can you display its index ?,and thanks.

Unfortunately, I don't have it with me and now, with the local lockdowns, I am not able to go get it ... :(
But, if you look for example at Amazon.co.uk, they have a very nice preview of the book!

Ditto! The E34 was a biplane training aircraft (love to see a drawing) and the E37 was the Siebel Hallore ( an early project ).

I've just checked in the book: the RLM 154/155 designations were allocated to Klemm, but not used, as seen in Andreas Parsch's website. The author does not had to this information.

I've just checked in the book: the RLM 154/155 designations were allocated to Klemm, but not used, as seen in Andreas Parsch's website. The author does not had to this information.
By the way,

all source also said the RLM 153 was not used,but we finally
found it as a real design,with its small Model ?!.

Did anyone hear about a Klemm rocket powered aircraft development of about 1934/35?
It should have been a study with a Klemm L25d cutted fuselage and a double tail.
Conventional Hirth engine in front, but rockets in the cutted rear part of the fuselage.
I am not looking for the Tilling-Klemm, which was armed with rockets,
but for a rocket-powered Klemm.

Very interesting . What is your source ?
We are currently discussing early rocket applications for aircraft in the 1920s and early 1930s
and got an anonymous model aircraft photo, which shows the above design.

We know, that Valier was in contact with von Langsdorff of the Klemm company about utilizing L20s for rocket driven flights in the 1920s.
However, we have no traces, that this contact led to anything.

The model aircraft wears D-ERAK as a tailsign, which was originally a Klemm L25dVIIR delivered to DLV in April 1934.
Interestingly this aircraft was not transfered to NSFK in 1938, but it was already withdrawn from use in February 1938,
which was very uncommon.

However, the utilization of a rocket battery in the model aircraft would have followed the very early approaches of the 1928/29s,
which was already obsolete in 1934 and later. That makes us believe, that the model aircraft is pure fantasy.
But probably someone here has a real photo, a drawing or documents, which confirm the existence of such a rocket approach with a L25d in the 30s?

Probably name it "(Klemm) Raketenflugzeug (mystery/doubtfull)" = rocket aircraft.
I still have not found any official hints, that this was a real Klemm project.

When did the change from L to Kl designations occur? The Kl 31 and Kl 32 seem to have been designated as such from the outset, before 1933. Or was this because they were cabin planes and not Lightplanes? But weren't prefixes like Kl, He and Ju invented by the Nazi RLM, so in 1933?

The RLM standardized the (mostly*) two-letter prefixes with only the first one capitalized. To the best of my knowledge, the only company that already used RLM-like two-letter prefixes before was Dornier (Do), with Junkers (Ju), and Heinkel (He) having a few as well, though early Heinkel designations had both letters capitalized.
* notable exception was DFS.

Thanks Stargazer. As you say Do and Ju were certainly used before 1933, so I guess it was a trend and maybe already recommended by the authorities. If someone knows more I'd appreciate it.