North American Rockwell NA-335 fighter project (to USAF FX requirement)

Dronte

Argentinean ugly bird
Reaction score
Are these renders of Rockwell FX proposal correct?

http://www2.tbb.t-com.ne.jp/imaginary-wings/tenji/tenjinaf15.html

I ask it because I have never seen a 3 view of that proposal.

(this topic was already partially tried here but the forum interfaz recommends me to begin a new topic due to the antiquity of the previous one and me I am obedient ;D )

Last edited by a moderator:
Sneak peek of an illustration I'm working on:

FXnaa_USAF72_prev.jpg

You have me hook, line and sinker
Please show me more!

Regards
Pioneer

North American Rockwell FX

Attachments

• Rockwell-FX-model.jpg
    Rockwell-FX-model.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 1,396
  • NAA-FX-3.jpg
    NAA-FX-3.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 1,397
  • NAA-FX-2.jpg
    NAA-FX-2.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 944
  • NAA-FX.jpg
    NAA-FX.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 2,718
Golfus said:
Those designs are really impressive "could have been". Has anyone 3-view drawings, especially of the NAA - Rockwell proposal?. The available drawing is of very poor quality.
Thanks in advance.
Work in progress:

FXnaa_USAF72_prev04.jpg

I'm hoping to have this finished by the end of February as a print. Stay tuned.

Seems that Sentinel chicken plan some North American F-X profiles... ;D

;) Beautiful piece of artwork! Can hardly wait to see the end result!

I'm loving this forum more and more all the time! Has anybody told Harry Turtledove? I can just see this site forming the basis for another of his alternative history books. America's military throwing out the Key West agreement, the RAF building the TSR2 and the Canadians the Avro Arrow, etc., etc. You can generate more "What Ifs" in a day's worth of postings than any other site on the web...

Sentinel Chicken said:
Golfus said:
Those designs are really impressive "could have been". Has anyone 3-view drawings, especially of the NAA - Rockwell proposal?. The available drawing is of very poor quality.
Thanks in advance.
Work in progress:

FXnaa_USAF72_prev04.jpg

Has this artwork being finished? If so does anyone have a link to the thread or website. If not, I recieve so much already it would be impolite to ask for more...

EDIT: I can see one in this picture, now to find out how to get it...

Abraham Gubler said:
Sentinel Chicken said:
Golfus said:
Thanks in advance.
Work in progress:

FXnaa_USAF72_prev04.jpg

Has this artwork being finished? If so does anyone have a link to the thread or website. If not, I recieve so much already it would be impolite to ask for more...

EDIT: I can see one in this picture, now to find out how to get it...

http://www.airlinebuzz.com/forums/blog.php?s=ae2c5d54402312407affb5d0a4a13b55&b=101

I'd love to say "almost finished"....but I made some changes to it again (it seems I'm suffering from the artist version of "mission creep").........but the final print will be 16x20 inches in size.

Here's a North American Aviation (Los Angeles Division) concept model of an early F-X design with VG. Gotta love those fake afterburner flames!

Attachments

• NAA F-X 02.jpg
    NAA F-X 02.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 2,834
Greetings All -

Some nice artwork of the NAA proposal that my friend Duncan Curtis received from a former NAA Engineer.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• NAA FX artwork.jpg
    NAA FX artwork.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 1,776
Mark Nankivil said:
Greetings All -

Some nice artwork of the NAA proposal that my friend Duncan Curtis received from a former NAA Engineer.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Thanks for posting !!! ... and You realy made my day. :D

Even if the F-15 is not an ugly plane ... the NAA F-X proposal would have been a real beauty. :-*

Deino

Mark Nankivil said:
Greetings All -

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Great picture, and they really show the folding ventral fins to advantage. Which raises the question did these fins come before or after the redesign in the NA-335? "American Secret Projects: Fighters and Interceptors" date stamps the folding ventral fin NA-335 as crica June 1969. Then there are the internal arangments NA-335 picture that shows a longer tail contected to a small tail sting between the engines and conventional short ventral fins.

Given the similarity of the NAA FX wing to that of the early Su-27, I wonder if it would have suffered the same problems as the T-10? The T-10 showed excellent wind tunnel performance but the crescent wing had severe issues with vortex-induced buffeting above 10 deg AOA during testing and had to undergo major surgery.

overscan said:
Given the similarity of the NAA FX wing to that of the early Su-27, I wonder if it would have suffered the same problems as the T-10? The T-10 showed excellent wind tunnel performance but the crescent wing had severe issues with vortex-induced buffeting above 10 deg AOA during testing and had to undergo major surgery.

A good and valid point!

Regards
Pioneer

Abraham Gubler said:
Mark Nankivil said:
Greetings All -

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Great picture, and they really show the folding ventral fins to advantage. Which raises the question did these fins come before or after the redesign in the NA-335? "American Secret Projects: Fighters and Interceptors" date stamps the folding ventral fin NA-335 as crica June 1969. Then there are the internal arangments NA-335 picture that shows a longer tail contected to a small tail sting between the engines and conventional short ventral fins.

Its difficult to make a definitive conclusion. Craig Kaston supplied the June 1969 drawing and the artist's impression opposite page. They are clearly the same design, which has strakes on the nose below the windscreen (I only noticed them just now!) folding enlarged ventral fins, leading edge flaps, and an air scoop at the base of the fin. Mark's artwork is the same, as is the artist's impression I posted. I would guess this is the final revision, because things like the nose strakes and the air scoop are the kind of details added to a design as it is refined.

Sentinel Chicken,

Did you ever finish the artwork of the North American FX proposal?
Please let me know where to find it

Shine

What might be easier is if you could just PM me via the Secret Projects forum messaging system. We've had to shut down new registrations on our forum due to a spambot attack. Once I get a good idea of who's interested, I'll know how much I'll need to get from my printer as I do them "on demand" to avoid holding too much stock here at home.

Sentinel Chicken said:
FXnaa_b.jpg

Mmmmmm-hmmmm. It's looking good. Stay tuned!

Ohhhh YES, YES, YES ... finally !!!

But to admit I can't wait to see one in the latest mod-Eagle scheme.

Deino

I have some re-work to do on the Model 335 print. I first did it back in 2006 but since then (and thanks to this forum) more information and diagrams have since come to light that make me want to "upgrade" the illustration which is why I've had to push it back to at least late April before releasing it.

Great drawing - but it was also previously published (admittedly small) in American Secret Projects in 2007 :)

overscan said:
Rockwell F-15 promotional sticker.

... showing... Eagles???
Had the USAF already settled on the name Eagle from the early stages of the competition? Or did somebody snatch Rockwell's idea and give it to the winner?

Here is a large photo print of a Hal McCormick painting of the North American Rockwell F-15 entitled "Air-To-Ground Mission" from a closed auction on eBay. Sadly, McCormick passed away in 2010.

The painting appears to show a flattened lower forward fuselage which is not reflected in other artwork, drawings or images of the mockup. This may just be an artifact of McCormick's painting technique.

Attachments

• eBay - McCormack - NAR-F-15 - Air-To-Ground Mission 2.JPG
    eBay - McCormack - NAR-F-15 - Air-To-Ground Mission 2.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,345
  • eBay - McCormack - NAR F-15 - Air-To-Ground Mission 3.JPG
    eBay - McCormack - NAR F-15 - Air-To-Ground Mission 3.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,581
  • eBay - McCormack - NAR F-15 - Air-To-Ground Mission 1.JPG
    eBay - McCormack - NAR F-15 - Air-To-Ground Mission 1.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,768
To follow up on Overscan's posting of the NAR F-15 sticker "zap" I can offer an insert card and a closeup of the program logo imprinted on one of the special proposal binders. The last images are of a proposal binder (without contents) that was up for sale on eBay several years ago.

Attachments

• NAR F-15 Insert.jpg
    NAR F-15 Insert.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,119
  • NAR F-15 Binder Logo.jpg
    NAR F-15 Binder Logo.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 989
  • IMG_3741.jpg
    IMG_3741.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_3739.jpg
    IMG_3739.jpg