Register here

Author Topic: Advanced Medium STOL Transport (AMST) competition  (Read 60944 times)

Offline Triton

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • Donald McKelvy
    • Deep Blue to Wild Blue
Re: Advanced Medium STOL Transport (AMST) competition
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2009, 03:24:09 pm »
Three-view drawings of General Dynamics Convair Aerospace Division Externally Blown Flap (EBF), Mechanical Flap plus Vectored Thrust (MF/VT), and Internally Blown Flap (IBF) designs of the STOL Tactical Aircraft Investigation (STAI) portion of the AMST program.

Source:
Hebert,Jr, J et al. STOL Tactical Aircraft Investigation. Volume 1. Configuration Definition General Dynamics San Diego CA Convair Aerospace Division
May 1973

Abstract:
The overall objective of the design effort was to conduct a preliminary vehicle-sizing activity to establish baseline configurations for the STOL tactical aircraft investigation. These preliminary baselines were used for the takeoff and landing studies and as a point of departure for wind tunnel test planning and flight control technology activities. The lift/propulsion concepts studied were: Externally Blown Flap (EBF); Mechanical Flap plus Vectored Thrust (MF/VT); and Internally Blown Flap (IBF). The report summarizes the design activities for the three-month and six-month configuration reviews.

Handle / proxy Url:   http://handle.dtic.mil/100.2/AD766941
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 03:39:50 pm by Triton »

Offline Skybolt

• Top Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2009, 06:34:18 am »
BTW, all the STAI reports are on DTIC.

Offline Triton

• Donald McKelvy
    • Deep Blue to Wild Blue
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2009, 03:04:57 pm »
In an effort to sell the AMST, Boeing and McDonnell Douglas proposed the use of the YC-14 and the YC-15 for various missions including mid-air launching of ICBMs. A McDonnell Douglas YC-15, fitted with CFM56 engines, is shown in this artist's concept air launching an MX missile.

Source: Norton, Bill STOL Progenitors: The Technology Path to a Large STOL Aircraft and the C-17 American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Inc. 2002

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 06:50:19 pm by Triton »

Offline Triton

• Donald McKelvy
    • Deep Blue to Wild Blue
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2009, 08:27:16 pm »
Artist's impression of McDonnell Douglas AMST design.

Source: Norton, Bill STOL Progenitors: The Technology Path to a Large STOL Aircraft and the C-17 American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Inc. 2002

Offline Triton

• Donald McKelvy
    • Deep Blue to Wild Blue
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2009, 08:30:22 pm »
Artist's impression of Boeing AMST design.

Offline pometablava

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2010, 10:20:49 am »
From Flug Revue July 1977

Offline Skyblazer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2010, 11:17:49 am »
Oh, sweet memories! I was 12 then, and I was fortunate to see both AMST contenders, the Boeing YC-14 and McDonnell Douglas YC-15 together... Thanks for reminding me...  ;)

Offline pometablava

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2010, 12:38:16 pm »
Glad to hear you liked the pic. The article from Flug Revue about Le Bourget 77 is fascinating. You were really fortunate to be there.

There was a 1:1 fully transparent Mirage F-1 mockup on exhibition and a Mirage 2000 mockup.
Flying exhibits from YF-17, F-16 prototype, Tornado, SH 37 Viggen.
In static exhibition there are the following: Il-76, Tu-154, Tu-144, Il-86, Fokker F27 Maritime, VFW-614, A-10,Pucará, An-32, Yak-42, YC-15, YC-14, E-2C, E-3A, L-29, Fouga 90, Kfir.

Offline Skyblazer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2010, 02:10:32 pm »
Those I remember really well: YF-17, F-16 prototype, Tu-144, Il-86, VFW-614, Yak-42, YC-15, YC-14, E-2C, Fouga 90... I also seem to remember a Hercules and a Convair 990 (possibly Hugh Hefner's?) although I'm not 100% sure that it wasn't 1981 instead (didn't attend in 1979).

Offline Pioneer

• Seek out and close with the enemy
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2010, 02:16:05 am »
G`day gents

I was flicking through an old book (The Encyclopedia of World Air Power - By Bill Gunston), and came across this regarding the YC-15 -

One planned version was a totally self-contained mobile surgical hospital, complete with a casevac helicopter

Considering today`s more civilized nature of nations willing to moreopenly and humanly support and assist one another in times of natural disasters (regardless of political or ideological differences), I envisage this variant being a very useful and busy U.S contribution - had it been put into production and service.

Regards
Pioneer
And remember…remember the glory is not the exhortation of war, but the exhortation of man.
Mans nobility, made transcendent in the fiery crucible of war.
Faithfulness and fortitude.
Gentleness and compassion.
I am honored to be your brother.”

— Lt Col Ralph Honner DSO M

Offline taildragger

• CLEARANCE: Secret
  • You can count on me - I won a contest
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2010, 02:05:41 am »
That proposed version probably served to make a point about the versatility of a large airlifter, but would probably be worse than useless.  Orbis and other NGOs fit out large aircraft in this manner, but they're typically used in non-crisis humanitarian projects, not the sort of disaster relief efforts that militaries are called on to support.  Better just to have portable hospitals available that can be transported by a standard airlifter.  Some of the minuses to a dedicated flying hospital:
- taking a $200M asset away from the task of flying in supplies to perform a role that can be done by a tent
- takes up ramp space that may be in short supply, limiting the delivery of supplies
- requires that casualties be brought to the nearest airfield.  A tent can usually be set up much closer to the disaster area.
- the hospital's availability is tied to the aircraft so that if the aircraft is in for major maintenance, the hospital is closed.  I don't think tent hospitals have to be regularly torn down for major maintenance.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 02:07:18 am by taildragger »

Offline MIRAGE 4000

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2010, 02:10:33 am »
How many flight  since  1997 for "new" YC-15 ?

Only one or much ?

Anybody knows ? Cant find information  ??? :'( :'(

Offline PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2010, 03:15:23 am »
Ask Boeing?????
"They can't see our arses for dust."

- Sir Sydney Camm

Offline MIRAGE 4000

« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2010, 04:21:47 am »
No answers from Boeing  ::) ::) ::)

riddle  ???

Offline aim9xray

• Top Contributor
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2010, 08:22:04 pm »
They reportedly had an engine failure that would have taken company money to repair/replace.  At about the same time, the battle for extended C-17 production (80 units under multi-year procurement) was won and the need for a C-17 surrogate diminished as the #1 C-17 would stay as a flight test asset and not go into the airlift fleet.  (The merger between McDonnell Douglas and Boeing happened about the same time and may have also had something to do with the loss of interest in the YC15.)

The YC-15 was originally flown into Long Beach Airport (where it got the new paint job) and later sat at the Boeing (ex-Rockwell,  ex-North American) Palmdale facility for about 10 years until it was towed overland to the Century Circle at Edwards.