Register here

Author Topic: Patriot SAM replacement  (Read 104379 times)

Offline bring_it_on

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • I really should change my personal text
Re: Patriot SAM replacement
« Reply #450 on: January 12, 2018, 04:42:47 pm »
That looks more like a typical ATACMs than past Zombie shots.  (Wish I knew the particulars of that Zombie target missile.)

Old radar types never die; they just phased array - Unknown

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #451 on: January 25, 2018, 06:05:43 am »

Offline sferrin

« Reply #452 on: January 25, 2018, 06:21:16 am »
Yep. There have been several graphics floating around that list PAC-3 capability against MRBMs.
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #453 on: February 12, 2018, 12:34:23 pm »
Since this time last year, engagements with industry have enabled refinement of the schedule to accelerate capability

http://comptroller.defense.gov/Portals/45/Documents/defbudget/fy2019/army/rdte/PB19_RDTE_BA_4.pdf

Offline bobbymike

Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

Charles W. Eliot

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #455 on: February 22, 2018, 06:58:37 am »
Sweden – Patriot Configuration-3+ Modernized Fire Units

WASHINGTON, FEB. 20, 2018 - The State Department has made a determination approving a possible
Foreign Military Sale to Sweden of Patriot Configuration-3+ Modernized Fire Units for an estimated cost of
$3.2 billion. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress
of this possible sale today.
The Government of Sweden has requested to buy four (4) Patriot Configuration-3+ Modernized Fire Units
consisting of: four (4) AN/MPQ-65 radar sets, four (4) AN/MSQ-132 engagement control stations, nine (9)
antenna mast groups, twelve (12) M903 launching stations, one hundred (100) Patriot MIM-104E Guidance
Enhanced Missile-TBM (GEM-T) missiles, two hundred (200) Patriot Advanced Capabilty-3 (PAC-3)
Missile Segment Enhancement (MSE) missiles, and four (4) Electrical Power Plants (EPP) III. Also included
with this request are communications equipment, tools and test equipment, range and test programs, support
equipment to include associated vehicles, prime movers, generators, publications and technical
documentation, training equipment, spare and repair parts, personnel training, Technical Assistance Field
Team (TAFT), U.S. Government and contractor technical, engineering, and logistics support services,
Systems Integration and Checkout (SICO), field office support, and other related elements of logistics and
program support. The total estimated program cost is $3.2 billion.
This proposed sale will support the foreign policy and national security objectives of the United States by
helping to improve the security of a strategic partner which has been, and continues to be, an important force
for political stability and economic progress within the Baltic Sea region and across Europe.
The proposed sale of the Patriot missile system will improve Sweden’s missile defense capability. Sweden
will use the Patriot system to defend its territorial integrity and promote regional stability. The proposed sale
will increase the defensive capabilities of the Swedish military and support interoperability with U.S. and
NATO forces. Sweden will have no difficulty absorbing this equipment into its armed forces.
The proposed sale of this equipment and support will not alter the basic military balance in the region.
The prime contractors will be Raytheon Corporation in Andover, Massachusetts, and Lockheed-Martin in
Dallas, Texas. There are no known offset agreements proposed in connection with this potential sale.
Implementation of this proposed sale will require approximately 24 U.S. Government and 32 contractor
representatives to travel to Sweden for an extended period for equipment de-processing/fielding, system
checkout, training, and technical and logistics support.
There will be no adverse impact on U.S. defense readiness as a result of this proposed sale.

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #456 on: February 28, 2018, 02:50:20 pm »

« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 06:23:33 pm by bring_it_on »

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #457 on: February 28, 2018, 06:21:53 pm »
Army Low Cost Portable Surveillance
LTAMD
Next Gen Sensor

« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 06:23:55 pm by bring_it_on »

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #458 on: March 01, 2018, 05:54:44 pm »
This could go into a dozen threads on the forum but wanted to leave it here since it covers the patriot interceptors as well....

The Solid Rocket Legacy of Thiokol's Huntsville Division 1949-1996

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #459 on: March 02, 2018, 03:44:37 am »
UPDATED: Marine Corps Nears IOC Decision on G/ATOR Radar System

The Marine Corps is about to declare initial operational capability for its AN/TPS-80 Ground/Air Task-Oriented Radar (G/ATOR) after the service certified that two operational units had the training and logistics in place to sustain the new radar.

Prior to the declaration, the Marine Corps conducted extensive testing with the radars at Wallops Island and Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, an interoperability demonstration between G/ATOR and the new Common Aviation Command and Control System (CAC2S) system, and operational assessments with Marine Air Control Squadron (MACS-1) in Yuma and MACS-2 in Cherry Point.

MACS-1 and MACS-2 will continue working with one radar system apiece for operational use, with plans to bring the radar to the spring and fall Weapons and Tactics Instructor Courses (WTI) in Yuma and to an exercise in Norway later this year, deputy program manager Roy Barnhill told USNI News today.

Barnhill said the Marine Corps certified last week that MACS-1 was fully ready to sustain the new system, and the service made a similar certification for MACS-2 about a month ago – which sets up the Marine Corps to declare Initial Operational Capability. Contractor Northrop Grumman said in a news release that the milestone proves “production systems, spares, logistic support items and documentation have been tested and validated through a rigorous process.”

Beginning with Lot 3 units, the service is switching to a Gallium Nitride (GaN) semiconductor to replace the Gallium Arsenide (GaAs) semiconductor used in Lot 1 and Lot 2, and Pentagon acquisition officials decided that initial operational test and evaluation (IOT&E) would have to wait until the GaN technology delivers to the Marines, Barnhill said.The deputy PM added that contractor Northrop Grumman is on track to deliver the three Lot 3 radars with the GaN technology in mid-August. The Marines would spend about a month doing a scaled-down developmental test period, since the hardware and software are all the same as the Lots 1 and 2 units, aside from the semiconductor material. After that month-long testing, MACS-1 would in October conduct initial operational test and evaluation with the G/ATOR Block 1 capability, which covers air defense and air surveillance missions.

The Marine Corps and Northrop Grumman are also pursuing a Block 2 capability, which would track ground-based artillery, rockets and mortars – primarily to identify and attack the source of incoming fires, but also for use during Marine Corps training events, so artillery units can track the accuracy of their outgoing rounds. The remaining four Lot 1 and 2 radars are currently being used for G/ATOR Block 2 development, Barnhill said. Barnhill said Block 2 IOT&E is set for December. That testing will involve the 11th Marine Regiment, an artillery regiment out of Camp Pendleton.As more lots continue to deliver – each lot contract covers three radars – the radars will be spread out to aviation and ground units around the globe. MACS-1 and MACS-2 are the first two aviation units to work with the system, and then 11th Marines and their Camp Lejeune counterpart 10th Marines will take home G/ATORs for their training and operations. MACS-24, a reserve unit in Virginia Beach, and MACS-4 in Okinawa, will also be early recipients of the new radar.

The Marine Corps currently plans to buy 17 G/ATOR systems for the Block 1 mission and 28 for the Block 2 mission, USNI News previously reported.

“Through our close partnership with the Marine Corps, we have been able to achieve this important early fielding milestone,” Roshan Roeder, vice president of the land and avionics C4ISR division at Northrop Grumman Mission Systems, said in the news release.
“We are looking ahead to full-rate production and getting G/ATOR’s unprecedented capabilities to the Marines in the field.”

« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 04:05:47 am by bring_it_on »

Offline fredymac

« Reply #460 on: March 06, 2018, 09:39:18 am »
From Raytheon news releases:

Eight U.S. Allies watch newest Patriot upgrade in live fire test
Investment by 14 Patriot partner nations make new technology upgrades possible
http://raytheon.mediaroom.com/2018-03-05-Eight-U-S-Allies-watch-newest-Patriot-upgrade-in-live-fire-test

"PDB-8 is slated for fielding with the U.S. Army and other Patriot partners later this year.  It offers:

Enhanced capability against a variety of threats.
An improved Identification Friend or Foe capability.
Improved radar search capability.
Improved target detection and identification.
A redesigned Fire Solution Computer, which enables Patriot to take advantage of the PAC-3 MSE missile capabilities.
An Enhanced Weapons Control Computer which provides up to 50 percent additional processing power for software enhancements to address evolving threats."

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #461 on: March 06, 2018, 10:25:45 am »
I believe PDB-8 is also the baseline version with which IBCS will IOC. Current IBCS testing seems to be happening on PDB-7.

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #462 on: March 13, 2018, 03:27:35 pm »

Offline sferrin

« Reply #463 on: March 14, 2018, 03:32:20 pm »

Interesting that it says it's on active duty at Hill AFB as well as Mountain Home.  ???
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline snark

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #464 on: March 25, 2018, 09:10:33 am »
No  --  it says it will enter service with "active-duty" AF units at the two bases indicated; as well as with Air National Guard units at the other bases shown...   Regards, Harry