Register here

Author Topic: Patriot SAM replacement  (Read 116422 times)

Offline bring_it_on

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • I really should change my personal text
Re: Patriot SAM replacement
« Reply #510 on: December 14, 2018, 03:38:50 am »
Lockheed is finishing development and putting the TPY-X into production..Perhaps this could be seen as a companion surveillance sensor to LTAMDS if the Army ever decides that it can afford two sensors..

Lockheed Martin readies its latest L-band radar for production
Old radar types never die; they just phased array - Unknown

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #511 on: December 18, 2018, 06:14:52 pm »
U.S. State Department clears $3.5 billion sale of Patriot missiles to Turkey

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. State Department has approved a possible $3.5 billion sale of Patriot air and missile defense systems to Turkey, the Pentagon said on Tuesday after notifying Congress of the certification.

The Defense Security Cooperation Agency said the State Department had approved the sale of 80 Patriot guidance-enhanced missiles and 60 other missiles to Ankara along with related equipment, including radar sets, engagement control stations and launching stations.

Offline marauder2048

• "I should really just relax"
« Reply #512 on: December 19, 2018, 07:58:39 pm »
Orbital Sciences Corp., Chandler, Arizona, is awarded a $46,471,808 modification to a
previously awarded firm-fixed-price, cost reimbursable contract (N00019-18-C-1047)
that exercises an option to procure 15 full-rate production Lot 13 GQM-163A Coyote
supersonic sea skimming target base vehicles,  14 for the Navy and one for the Army. 
The Army procured target vehicle will be used to test and evaluate the Lower Tier Air and Missile Defense Sensor,
Limited User Test target system. 

my emphasis

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #513 on: December 19, 2018, 08:21:24 pm »
Nice to see they are keeping things on track for an accelerated timeline. Has the GQM-163A been used previously as part of a prior patriot deployment build testing?

Offline sferrin

« Reply #514 on: December 20, 2018, 03:21:59 am »
Nice to see they are keeping things on track for an accelerated timeline. Has the GQM-163A been used previously as part of a prior patriot deployment build testing?

Hopefully they don't just look at it with a radar, and that they actually try to shoot it down. 
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #515 on: December 20, 2018, 06:01:50 am »
Eventually it will come to that once the radar is integrated with the software and they are well into developmental and Operational testing. Depending upon what stage the DOT&E's 5th generation aerial target program is then, I'm sure it will also be brought in to try to mimic 5th gen fighters as I remember this was something cited in the original DOTE plans.

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #516 on: January 07, 2019, 02:08:51 pm »
Army, USMC exploring IBCS-G/ATOR integration; sign of new confidence in IAMD development

The Army is coordinating with the Marine Corps to integrate the Ground/Air Task Oriented Radar (G/ATOR) with the Integrated Air and Missile Defense program, a sign of new confidence by the Army that its $7.9 billion IAMD program -- beset two years ago by a string of serious developmental setbacks and schedule delays -- has turned a corner and is "on track" for fielding in 2022 or sooner.

Col. Philip Rottenborn, project manager for Integrated Air and Missile Defense in the program executive office for missiles and space, disclosed these developments in a Jan. 7 response to reporters' questions about the Integrated Battle Command System -- the IAMD common integrated-fire control element that provides the functional capabilities to control and manage the IAMDS sensors and shooters.

The addition of the Marine Corps' AN/TPS-80 G/ATOR radar would mark an expansion of the baseline IBCS capability, which integrates Patriot radars and launchers with Sentinel radars, and builds on the design of the system which is intended to allow the Army to plug in compatible sensors....

While the IBCS program baseline calls for initial fielding in 2022, Rottenborn said the service might consider pulling that date forward.

"The Army will evaluate early fielding opportunities based upon system performance in near-term developmental testing and operational testing in 2020," he said. "The open architecture enables the warfighter to prioritize requirements beyond the initial baseline."

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #517 on: January 13, 2019, 04:27:28 pm »

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #518 on: March 11, 2019, 09:29:35 am »
Companies validate IBCS and CAMM family agile integration for multidomain operations

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. – March 11, 2019 – Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE: NOC) and MBDA have successfully completed a joint, company-funded effort to incorporate the Common Anti-air Modular Missile (CAMM) family into the Integrated Air and Missile Defense (IAMD) Battle Command System (IBCS). CAMM is the first non-U.S. missile system to be integrated with IBCS.

“This is another demonstration of the ‘any-sensor, any-shooter’ IBCS design that integrates weapons in a short time and at a small fraction of traditional costs,” said Bill Lamb, director, international battle management, Northrop Grumman. “With IBCS as the enabler for next-generation IAMD in the multidomain battlespace, warfighters gain the advantage of leveraging any available sensors and effectors to counter evolving and emerging threats.”

With approval of the U.S. Department of Defense and U.K. Ministry of Defence, Northrop Grumman and MBDA invested internal company funds to demonstrate the integration of the Northrop Grumman-developed IBCS with the MBDA CAMM family of missiles in an affordable and rapid manner. The companies completed functional integration of the end-to-end firing chain for integrated fire control and fire direction configurations between CAMM and IBCS. The effort accomplished all research and development goals of integrating CAMM into the IBCS and reduces risk and costs for full integration.

“This integration further demonstrates how the CAMM family and its associated systems have been designed from the outset for integration into IAMD networks, including with third-party battle management command and control and sensors, allowing the most complex engagement scenarios to be achieved with lower demands on the network and a lower integration burden,” said Michael Mew, ground based air defence programme head, MBDA.

The CAMM family is the next generation of air defense missiles for multidomain applications. Designed to defeat the most challenging of modern and future threats,  including saturation attacks by precision-guided munitions and maneuvering high-speed missiles attacking simultaneously from multiple directions, the CAMM family of missiles feature a solid-state active radar seeker, two way data-link, low-signature rocket motor and a 360° soft-vertical launch system.

IBCS creates a paradigm shift for IAMD by replacing legacy stove-piped systems with a next-generation, net-centric approach to better address the evolving complex threat. The system integrates disparate radars and weapons to construct a far more effective IAMD enterprise. IBCS delivers a single integrated air picture with unprecedented accuracy and broadens surveillance and protection areas. With its truly open systems architecture, IBCS allows incorporation of current and future sensors and effectors and interoperability with joint C2 and the ballistic missile defense system.

Offline sferrin

« Reply #519 on: March 11, 2019, 09:45:46 am »
"The CAMM family is the next generation of air defense missiles for multidomain applications. Designed to defeat the most challenging of modern and future threats,  including saturation attacks by precision-guided munitions"

Shooting down a guided bomb with a VL-ASRAAM is not a good trade.
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #520 on: March 11, 2019, 09:53:16 am »
It is an interesting direction for IBCS's export customers like Poland who are looking to also field a complementary short range system. With G/ATOR and CAMM IBCS integration possible or being explored it does give competition to the likes of NASAMS and Spyder or Iron-Dome, particularly if they can demonstrate the ability to rapidly integrate indigenous C2 and sensors.

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #521 on: March 20, 2019, 07:03:17 am »
Lower Tier Future Interceptor Program - New start for FY20 -

The Lower Tier Future Interceptor program will provide improved operational effectiveness against evolving air and missile defense threats within the lower tier portion of the ballistic missile defense battlespace. The future interceptor will increase Air and Missile Defense (AMD) capability through increased velocity, altitude and maneuverability. The acquisition program will competitively select a future interceptor to complement existing Air and Missile Defense (AMD) capabilities to overmatch evolving threat.