Register here

Author Topic: Patriot SAM replacement  (Read 95457 times)

Offline bring_it_on

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • I really should change my personal text
Re: Patriot SAM replacement
« Reply #465 on: March 26, 2018, 02:33:47 am »
Eventually, it will replace all the current TPS-75 inventory.
Old radar types never die; they just phased array - Unknown

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #466 on: March 26, 2018, 04:31:57 am »

Riyadh Just Came Under Ballistic Missile Attack Resulting In These Crazy Videos

Still using their legacy Patriot systems with PAC-2s. They should have received a fair number of CRI rounds but an upgraded battery has not yet appeared in any of the intercept videos. One thing that the use of Ballistic Missiles (extended range) by rebel groups and non state/traditional actors has exposed is the need for wide sector coverage if not 360 degree if forward deployed. I just hope that down the road, in addition to LTADMS we (and other Patriot customers) also consider a dedicated surveillance radar to better manage the diverse threats that are going to show up ranging from subsonic cruise missiles, UASs, to Low RCS aircraft, ballistic missiles and hypersonic gliders.

With IBCS and multiple potential sensors currently being developed by the Army's sister services (EASR, G/ATOR, 3DELRR etc), perhaps fielding such a capability could prove cheaper after the AOA having rejected a dedicated surveillance radar for the Patriot on account of cost (though it did determine that a FCR+SR combo offered the best protection/capability).
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 04:33:51 am by bring_it_on »

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #467 on: March 27, 2018, 12:26:12 pm »
Raytheon views radar advances as a path for rapid LTAMDS deployment

Like the company’s Air and Missile Defense Radar (AMDR) for the US Navy, LTAMDS uses Radar Modular Assemblies (RMAs), building blocks which can be stacked together to form any size array or bring additional capability into the system.

“How can we take these building blocks, configure them into a sensor that can get into the field rapidly, and have it be fundamentally better than Patriot but notionally less than LTAMDS, with a path to [being] easily upgraded to LTAMDS,” Burgess said.

This interim gap filler capability, based on RMAs, could easily be upgraded to a full-up system at a future date simply by adding more RMAs, he added.

Burgess said he has spoken with the army about an interim gap capability for high-priority locations. “We have been working with the army to really try to look at ‘speed-to-field’ to accelerate and get something into the warfighter's hands and keep that threat overmatch.

“What we are bringing forward is that technology we have been working on for a while in these building blocks and how do you configure them, giving the warfighter an understanding of desired capability from a mission sense, and how that translates into the technology, maturity, and programme planning on the acquisition side,” Burgess added.

The army has credited industry involvement for helping to refine the requirements and accelerate the schedule.

The current Patriot radar, for example, uses a readily available 150 kW power plant. While Raytheon could not divulge the power requirements for LTAMDS, Burgess said it requires more than a 150 kW power plant.

“How do we help the army understand what kind of prime power is available with what is in the inventory versus starting a new approach? How does the performance change as a function of that prime power and availability,” he noted.

It also requires an understanding of mission capability as a function of the prime power available, Burgess added. “What are the trades of being able to achieve that kind of prime power in a mobile situation?”

« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 04:00:56 pm by bring_it_on »

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #468 on: March 28, 2018, 03:49:30 am »
POLAND JOINS PATRIOT TEAM

It is reported today that the government of Poland signed an agreement, i.e. a Letter of Offer and Acceptance (LoA), to purchase Raytheon's PATRIOT Integrated Air and Missile Defence system from the US Army. This LoA paves the way for Poland's PATRIOT force to rapidly reach Initial Operational Capability (IOC), and sets the stage for the US government to begin contract negotiations with Raytheon and its industry partners.

Earlier this year, Poland‘s new defence minister took to Twitter to announce the government was able to negotiate a reduced price to procure PATRIOT air-and-missile defence systems under what it calls the WISLA programme. According to news reports the deal is worth U$4.75 billion with first delivery including 16 launchers, four radar stations and 208 missiles. In their earlier statements, Polish leadership revealed that new air defence systems would be deployed near the border with Russia.

"Poland joins the now 15 nation strong group of countries which trust PATRIOT to defend their citizens, military and sovereignty," Wes Kremer, President of Raytheon Integrated Defense Systems, said. "Poland's procurement of PATRIOT strengthens Trans-Atlantic partnership and security by enabling a common approach to Integrated Air and Missile Defence, and creating jobs in the US and Poland."

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #469 on: March 28, 2018, 03:54:36 am »
Raytheon Lower Tier Air & Missile Defense Sensor solution completes program review

TEWKSBURY, Mass., March 27, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) completed a program and technical review for the Lower Tier Air and Missile Defense Sensor, or LTAMDS, with the U.S. Army. Having led the development of advanced radar technologies for more than 50 years, Raytheon's solution is uniquely prepared to meet the rapid growing needs of today's soldiers. "Air and missile threats are maturing faster than ever before," said Tom Laliberty, vice president of Integrated Air and Missile Defense at Raytheon's Integrated Defense Systems business. "Because soldiers in the field need new technology now, Raytheon is accelerating our potential LTAMDS solution so it is ready for delivery when needed."

Raytheon will support U.S. Army efforts to complete LTAMDS concept development by solidifying performance specifications and refining cost and schedule as the program prepares to enter the Technology Maturation and Risk Reduction phase. The work to date has been focused on delivering an LTAMDS solution to soldiers that meets operational requirements as fast as possible.

Raytheon's prototype technology test bed in Pelham, New Hampshire, continually tests several systems planned for LTAMDS. More than 3,000 testing hours have been completed to date. The testing environment allows the program team to determine key requirements including:

- optimal frequency band
- prime power capacity
- 360o surveillance and fire control
- resiliency in contested environments
- reliability and maintainability

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #470 on: March 29, 2018, 07:48:48 am »
PEO Missiles & Space: Opportunities may exist for IBCS acceleration

The Army's ambitious program to seamlessly integrate sensors and shooters into a battle management system for its missile defense architecture remains behind schedule, but there is potential to shift the time line to the left, according to a service official.

Barry Pike, program executive officer for missiles and space, said Feb. 28 the Integrated Air and Missile Defense (IAMD) Battle Command Platform is undergoing a "deliberate" process.

To date, the Army has demonstrated "the integration of IBCS with the Patriot Post-Deployment Build version 7 software," which was current during the test events. The service has already begun fielding Patriot PDB-8, and combatant commanders require the capability enhancements it provides, he said.

Between now and initial operational capability, slated for fiscal year 2022, the Army intends to integrate the latest configurations of Patriot and Sentinel radar software, as well as upgrading from "the original hardware" that dates to roughly 2010 to a more "production-representative set of hardware" for use in developmental testing and a subsequent limited user test.

"In restructuring the program, there were several factors in that, so the opportunity to bring in Indirect Fire Protection Capability as another shooter in the network. So the integration of that is also sequenced in with the revised program schedule."

The Lower Tier Air and Missile Defense Sensor, billed as an eventual replacement for the Patriot radar within the IBCS architecture, has seen $382 million added to its funding profile with the goal of accelerating the program, Pike said. The service is working with the vendor to determine the potential for acceleration.

Modernization of the Sentinel radar to an A4 configuration, with upgrades to advanced electronically scanned array technology, is "on track to field in the mid '20s," he said.

The restructured program "is building in additional time for test, analyze, fix, test," he said. "So as we experience . . . less-than-satisfactory test results, you build time into the schedule to go find out exactly what those issues are, correct them before you go do the next test."

In a "best-case world," the Army's work to finalize software development would proceed smoothly on the first test, providing "a great opportunity to accelerate the program" as further corrective actions are not required.

He continued, "I don't think budget is holding us back. There may be sequencing-type things. As we go through this deliberate developmental test program and other limited user test, if we see those opportunities are there, obviously there may need to be some re-phasing of funding" to ensure the Army has "production funding to actually get the hardware in place that we can field on an accelerated basis."

When it comes to accelerating development, Pike noted "it's always kind of a risk kind of discussion. So how much testing is good enough?"

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #471 on: April 02, 2018, 01:23:17 pm »
I wonder which S&T Surveillance radars (portable) he is referring to at 13:00.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 04:14:30 pm by bring_it_on »

Online marauder2048

• "I should really just relax"
« Reply #472 on: April 25, 2018, 05:24:53 pm »
Hadn't seen this depiction of 3DELRR before. From GAO's April 2018 "Weapons Systems Annual Assessment."

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #473 on: April 26, 2018, 03:03:17 am »
The GAO gets to use a more relevant graphical depiction while the AF publishes its program highlights with a TPS-75 photo :) . Appears to be quite a bit larger than the legacy TPS-75, and given that it operates at a higher frequency it would also require a more powerful generator. I believe this is the first sensor to be compatible with both the CTN and IFCN from the very onset..
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 04:13:21 am by bring_it_on »

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #474 on: May 05, 2018, 12:33:00 pm »
Army Low-Cost Portable Surveillance (ALPS): The ALPS passive sensor will integrate into the IBCS network and provide continuous, 360-degree, long-range surveillance against fixed and rotary wing aircraft, UAS, and cruise missile threats.

https://docs.house.gov/meetings/AS/AS29/20180417/108171/HHRG-115-AS29-Wstate-DickinsonJ-20180417.pdf
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 12:42:44 pm by bring_it_on »

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #475 on: May 06, 2018, 04:24:03 am »
Also from the doc linked above :

Low-Cost Target Development: The Army is engaged in a technology effort to develop a suite of threat-representative targets for lower tier missile defense testing at a substantially reduced cost. Over the past year, we completed three detailed target designs and successfully demonstrated two of the configurations, which leverage excess solid rocket motors. The first Sabre target was successfully launched and intercepted in June 2017, meeting all performance objectives. The second Sabre target was launched and successfully intercepted in November 2017. These missions were critical operational tests of the new PATRIOT interceptor. Development of a two-stage ballistic missile target, known as Black Dagger, continues with a risk reduction launch scheduled for mid-2018. The Black Dagger target is meant to mimic a broader range of short-range ballistic missile threats by achieving longer range, higher altitude, and increased velocity. The Zombie suite of targets has missions planned for PATRIOT and Integrated Air and Missile Defense (IAMD) over the next few years. The goal remains to reduce DoD's overall test execution costs.

Offline seruriermarshal

« Reply #476 on: May 09, 2018, 04:29:55 am »
Saudi Air Force intercepts a ballistic missile in Riyadh's skies launched from Yemen

Offline JakobS

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
« Reply #477 on: July 03, 2018, 05:36:39 pm »
Momentum is slowing down for Patriot here in Sweden.
Several politic parties (military decisions happen in large political agreement here) have now withdrawn there support for pushing the deal through in such a timely maner.

They have discovered that it's probably not so wise to buy the system now a few years before IBCS and the new radar comes online. Especially the lack of 360 degrees cover have sailed up in recent weeks.

The two biggest parties is still behind the agreement to sign the deal before august ends, but there is lot's of signs the deal will be pushed to the future as supports starts to waiver in the conservative party.

Also theres not really any money for it as it is now, if they go through with the deal without allocating more funds for it the army will have to cancel a large amount of exercise in the coming years according to a leaked memo.

Offline bobbymike

« Reply #478 on: July 11, 2018, 07:27:54 pm »
https://www.defensenews.com/land/2018/07/11/lockheed-to-double-patriot-missile-production-as-orders-explode/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=dfn%20dnr%207/11/18&utm_term=Editorial%20-%20Daily%20News%20Roundup

WASHINGTON — Lockheed Martin is planning to double its most advanced Patriot missile’s production in the coming years to deal with exploding orders of the weapon from the U.S. Army and its allies, according to a company executive.

The U.S. Army has dramatically increased its Patriot Advanced Capability-3 Missile Segment Enhancement, or PAC-3 MSE, orders to not just account for full-rate production of the missile but to increase the stockpile on hand as operations overseas continue to eat up the inventory.

The MSE version has a larger, dual-pulse solid-rocket motor and larger control fins that double the missile’s reach and improve performance against evolving ballistic and cruise missiles.

Meanwhile, several new customers abroad have joined the ranks of Patriot air and missile defense owners to include Poland, Romania and Sweden this year. This includes the purchase of a number of the MSE missiles as part of the initial order.
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

Charles W. Eliot

Offline TomS

« Reply #479 on: July 12, 2018, 09:42:13 am »
https://www.defensenews.com/land/2018/07/11/lockheed-to-double-patriot-missile-production-as-orders-explode/

Hmm, they might want to solve that problem with exploding orders before they increase production.  Or maybe they need to increase production to account for the explosions?

(Sorry, just a bit of silliness)