JFC Fuller

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Once again everybody I bow down to your wisdom and plead for enlightenment!

Having spent an afternoon randomly googling (I really enjoy my current job ;)) I stumbled across the RB.431 entrance on the Skomer site.

http://www.skomer.u-net.com/projects/turbines.htm

It claims that the engine was basically a straight through pegasus and mention a HS.1202 fighter, does anyone have any information on this?

I too would be interested in the HS.1202.

Google reveals nada other than the HS.1202-9 being described as a 1977 twin-finned F-16 clone. I'm imagining a HS.1205 with the HS.1214's twin vertical tails.

guys, it's under our noses!, lol, ;D

HS.1202, brief description and two 3-views, BSP1-fighters, page 144-145.

cheers,
Robin.

British Secret Projects - Jet Fighter Since 1950

HS.1202

An altogether larger aircraft, this comprised a long series of designs over three years, mostly outside AST.403 requirements.

Power came from two reheated RB.199s or single RB.431 (essentially a straight - through Pegasus).

The first HS.1202 was drawn in November 1975 and featured a canard with square side intakes (there was also a tailed version with intakes above the fuselage). Two 27mm cannon and the forward undercarriage were housed in a lower fuselage bulge beneath the canards. Four bombs were placed in a low drag recess behind it.

A year later, studies had advanced to layouts more akin to the McDonnell Douglas F-18 which introduced leading edge root extensions.

In 1977 the aircraft became a British "F-16" and with a single fin, it looked remarkably like the General Dynamics machine. Four Sidewinders were carried, two 27mm in the LERX and a variety of ground attack weapons on four more under wing hard points.

Attachments

• P.1202.png
    P.1202.png
    156.8 KB · Views: 760
Out of interest how widely known were the YF-16 and YF-17 designs before they were introduced? The HS.1202-9 seems to often be referred to as a 'British F-16' so I was wondering how much of any similarities was down to copying or due to aerodynamics working the same on both sides of the Atlantic and independent development. Thanks.

Siberia said:
Out of interest how widely known were the YF-16 and YF-17 designs before they were introduced? The HS.1202-9 seems to often be referred to as a 'British F-16' so I was wondering how much of any similarities was down to copying or due to aerodynamics working the same on both sides of the Atlantic and independent development. Thanks.

I will search about the answer.

Above it is noted this is the first drawing of the HS-1202 done in 1975. The YF-16 and YF-17 made their first flights in 1974. Prior to that there were many photos of the prototypes and before that drawings and information had been published under the GD Model 401 and Northrop P-630 designations so I think there was a lot of public information on the designs back to the very early 1970's.

RAP said:
Above it is noted this is the first drawing of the HS-1202 done in 1975. The YF-16 and YF-17 made their first flights in 1974. Prior to that there were many photos of the prototypes and before that drawings and information had been published under the GD Model 401 and Northrop P-630 designations so I think there was a lot of public information on the designs back to the very early 1970's.

I used to have a book called something like Aircraft of 1974. In it they had a picture of the P-530 Cobra on it's pedestal, and artists' impressions of the YF-16 and XFV-12. First time I'd ever heard of any of them. Considering I was use to looking at F-4s, F-105s, etc. they blew my young mind.

RAP said:
... so I think there was a lot of public information on the designs back to the very early 1970's.

That's what I was guessing.