Re: Vintage Boeing SST Metal Prototype

Source:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Boeing-SST-Metal-Prototype-Airplane-Model-w-Wooden-Base-Approx-15-Long/192805183842?hash=item2ce415a162:g:OuoAAOSwuQhcTPky

Attachments

• s-l16009.jpg
    s-l16009.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 146
Boeing SST Display Model

Good Day All -

On EPay at the moment... Mark

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-RARE-BOEING-SST-HUGE-34inch-long-display-trade-show-model-w-landing-gear/123652058822?hash=item1cca3caec6:g:6BAAAOSwgJ1camXD:rk:32:pf:0

Attachments

• Boeing SST Model - 10.jpg
    Boeing SST Model - 10.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 182
  • Boeing SST Model - 9.jpg
    Boeing SST Model - 9.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 117
  • Boeing SST Model - 8.jpg
    Boeing SST Model - 8.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 105
  • Boeing SST Model - 7.jpg
    Boeing SST Model - 7.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 108
  • Boeing SST Model - 6.jpg
    Boeing SST Model - 6.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 103
  • Boeing SST Model - 5.jpg
    Boeing SST Model - 5.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 126
  • Boeing SST Model - 4.jpg
    Boeing SST Model - 4.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 121
  • Boeing SST Model - 3.jpg
    Boeing SST Model - 3.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 128
  • Boeing SST Model - 2.jpg
    Boeing SST Model - 2.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 154
  • Boeing SST Model - 1.jpg
    Boeing SST Model - 1.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 183
Re: Boeing SST Display Model

Orionblamblam said:
Hey, neat! Someone 3D-printed the "save" icon!

<ducks>

:D
A beauty. First time see a SST display model with LG, moreover still there in good shape.

Orionblamblam said:

<ducks>

ROTFLMAO

I wondered what was that orange, ugly thing near the 2707 model :p Anybody had a clue ?

From Ali Nuove 6/1961,

the Northrop SST.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    284.5 KB · Views: 427
There used to be a chart somewhere showing the planned delivery positions of the 122 Boeing 2707s ordered by 26 airlines before cancellation. I realise this was purely notional but it was amusing to see who were early and late in the queue.
If any one has the info and could post it here? I think either TWA or Pan Am were slated to get plane number 1 whereas BOAC were quite a way down the list.

Archibald said:
Orionblamblam said:

<ducks>

ROTFLMAO

I wondered what was that orange, ugly thing near the 2707 model :p Anybody had a clue ?
Mark Nankivil said:
A coaster for your beer bottle :)

I'll go get my zimmer frame...

Boeing 733, hopefully not posted earlier in this thread.

Attachments

• 733.png
    733.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 243

Attachments

• 2707.png
    2707.png
    881.9 KB · Views: 239
Nice document from Boeing's here:
http://www.emotionreports.com/downloads/pdfs/boeing.pdf

There is surprisingly few on the -300 technically-side. Also of interest is the neat 3-views detailing the "public" evolution (no hint to the 1968 studies that led to the delta configuration), where you can find the rarely seen early-VG 2707 canard configuration.

Hey Skybolt, do you still have this document?
It seems the link is out of order. :/

There is surprisingly few on the -300 technically-side. Also of interest is the neat 3-views detailing the "public" evolution (no hint to the 1968 studies that led to the delta configuration), where you can find the rarely seen early-VG 2707 canard configuration.

Find it here :

Find it here :

Thanks! :D

From "Mecanica Popular" January 1960 & September 1963
Post-1
One of the SST designs in the third and fourth file illustrations is the Douglas 2229, judging from the Douglas logo on the vertical stabilizer. The Convair 58-9 is the SST with four podded engines pictured in the second file illustration because it had four jets arranged in individual pods.

I really want to see your excellent work about lockheed sst models. :cool:

Three-Monkeys-1.jpg
Sorry :)

Btw, something funny about the possible connection of D.B. Cooper with the Boeing SST program :

Very interesting mystery......
I knew this bold act for the first time.

View attachment 616974

Btw, something funny about the possible connection of D.B. Cooper with the Boeing SST program :

Geez, the Seattle times don't like add blockers ? well, AFAIK they can go screw themselves, those idiots. This is really exasperating, I wish them bankruptcy. They are add-bonkers, really. It is no surprise the paper press is dying these days, if the only survival strategy they have is to sell their souls to advertising, to get money. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:

View attachment 616974

Geez, the seattle times don't like add blockers ? well, AFAIK they can go screw themselves, morons, idiots. This is really exasperating, I wish them bankruptcy. They are add-bonkers, really. It is no surprise the paper press is dying these dqys, if the only survival strategy they have is to prostitute themselves to advertising, to get money. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Relax Archie dear :D
Here the article text, don't know if it's kosher to post an entire article like that tho... if it's a problem, i'll remove it :

Does that evidence truly tie D.B. Cooper to Boeing? Plot thickens
Originally published January 20, 2017 at 10:41 am Updated January 22, 2017 at 7:26 pm
D.B. Cooper might have shown up at Boeing when it was working on the supersonic transport (SST). (The Boeing Company)
A Boeing connection remains in the D.B. Cooper case, some sleuths say. (The Boeing Company)
During the hijacking, Cooper was wearing this black J.C. Penney tie, which he removed before jumping; the tie later provided the FBI with a DNA sample. (FBI)

D.B. Cooper is the story that keeps on giving. A few days ago, the big headlines were about Cooper’s possibly having worked for Boeing. Never mind! The finger now points at Tektronix, of Beaverton, Ore., as his employer.
Share story
By Erik Lacitis
Seattle Times staff reporter

You know the recent stories exploring whether D.B. Cooper was a Boeing employee?

Never mind. That theory only lasted a few days.

Time for a new speculation.

Now the attention of the “Citizen Sleuths” on whose research all those viral headlines were premised are pointing at another Pacific Northwest company as D.B. Cooper’s possible employer:

Tektronix, out of Beaverton, Ore.

Tek-what?

Not quite the name recognition as Boeing, but it’s well-known in the electronics industry.
PUBLICITÉ

The Boeing connection is still there, says Tom Kaye, of Sierra Vista, Ariz., who identifies himself as the principal investigator of CitizenSleuths.com.

It’s just that now the group believes the titanium particles found on Cooper’s tie came from Tektronix, which may have been doing contract work for Boeing back in the 1960s through 1971 (when the project was canceled) on the supersonic transport jet, known as the SST.

The group was given access to the tie by the FBI and used a powerful electron microscope and X-ray spectroscopy for its work.

Kaye now believes that Cooper “was an engineer or manager type who was going back and forth between Boeing and Tektronix.”

Boeing understandably says that “we have no comment on these reports.” It’s trying to sell jets, not be associated with Cooper speculation.

As for Tektronix, it was founded in 1946 and holds 697 patents.

It makes things like oscilloscopes — which many of us have heard of even though we couldn’t explain what they do — and optical modulation analyzers. Let’s not even try to explain the latter.

This week, Amy Higgins, spokeswoman for the company, said it didn’t have employment documentation in its database that would go back some five decades.

So it really couldn’t add much, she said. She also said if Tektronix had been doing work on the SST, it was likely “a confidential relationship.”

It’s been 45 years since “Dan Cooper” hijacked that Northwest Orient Airlines jet, and somewhere between Seattle and Reno parachuted out with $200,000 in $20 bills.

His legend is the gift that keeps on giving when it comes to stories we can’t help but read.

There was the woman who had undergone transgender surgery and claimed to have been Cooper as a way to get back at the airline industry that kept her from becoming a pilot.

There was the Minnesota man who believed his late brother was Cooper when the family discovered unaccounted-for money in the brother’s bank accounts. Plus, the brother had once said, “There is something you should know, but I cannot tell you.”

And there are plenty more potential Coopers who have made the news but then not been linked to the case by the FBI. The agency suspended active investigation in July 2016.

It’s that black clip-on J.C. Penney tie found on the seat cushion 18E, the same seat assigned to Cooper, that has been at the heart of these latest speculations.

Cooper had that now-retro look down pat. The kinda-skinny tie, “alligator” tie clip, dark business suit, white shirt, aviator sunglasses.

It was the look you often would see with the engineers and management at Boeing. More dramatically, it was used by Quentin Tarantino in “Reservoir Dogs.”

Cooper ordered a bourbon and soda, smoked a cigarette and handed a flight attendant a note that said, in all capital letters, “I HAVE A BOMB IN MY BRIEFCASE. I WILL USE IT IF NECESSARY. I WANT YOU TO SIT NEXT TO ME. YOU ARE BEING HIJACKED.”

When the attendant put the note, unread, into her pocket, Cooper said, “Miss, you’d better look at that note. I have a bomb.”

Dwight Bates, 74, of Ellensburg, a Boeing retired senior propulsion engineer who worked on the SST, remembers that clip-on-tie look well. He was 23 when he worked on that plane.

“Almost everybody wore a clip-on tie just like that,” he says. “Then, if you went up to the factory, you’d unclip it and put on your safety glasses. There was a lot of dirt out there and you didn’t want it on your tie, and you didn’t want your tie hanging up on rotating machinery.”

But maybe some tie-wearing type did keep his tie on at the factory floor, says Bates.

“There was a lot of titanium machining going,” he says. Particles would have flown about.

There is just one hitch with Cooper’s possibly being a Boeing employee.

The SST was being built with titanium alloy because supersonic “skin friction” would heat its hull to many hundreds of degrees Fahrenheit.

But the particles found on the tie were not titanium alloy. They were pure titanium.

Plus, additional testing showed the presence of rare-earth elements such as cerium and strontium sulfide.

So.

So a little more speculation by the Citizen Sleuths:

• The rare-earth particles found on the tie are used in the making of cathode ray tubes, the kind used in old TV sets.

• Kaye says the SST was going to be the first plane using cathode ray tubes on the instrument panel.

• Tektronix, at that time, made such tubes and was a relatively short distance from Boeing.

• But for use in the SST, the Oregon company would have had to encase the tubes in titanium, and likely used pure titanium.

Connect the dots!

By the way, for you retro-look fans, there are plenty of clip-on ties for sale on Amazon. A black, 100 percent polyester one goes for only $6.96, rated 4 out of 5 stars, with a feature that might have gotten Cooper’s attention. “ … it does break away cleanly and safely when pulled.”
Erik Lacitis: 206-464-2237 or elacitis@seattletimes.com Twitter @ErikLacitis

------
Here is the kind of TV set SST was supposed to have , supposedly Tektronix ? :

-1.jpg

Last edited:
How do yoy think about these....
(1) D.B.Cooper had good brain.
(2) He knew 727 very well.
But
200,000 dollars aren't the compared price.
He should request a worn-out bill.

Attachments

• 727db.gif
    727db.gif
    157.2 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Yeah sorry for that, their add blocking policy annoyed me. I managed to find the article later, and thank you too, Galgot.

auto-corrected / auto-censored the crude words not to hurt some sensitive ears... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
• But for use in the SST, the Oregon company would have had to encase the tubes in titanium, and likely used pure titanium.

Why would *anyone* use pure titanium? Conventional titanium alloys (6AL 4V) are not only stronger, they are less prone to bursting into magnesium-like fires.

No idea...
But they did indeed found pure titanium particles on his tie
Or maybe pure titanium was used in the manufacturing process of CRTs or electrical equipments ... dunno.

Thank you for the wonderful photograph which can feel the future.
Please enjoy next pictures.
I have never seen precise line drawings for L-2000-7A/7B final design especially front view. If someone find it, I believe it will be a big and historic discovery. Lockheed/FAA still have it or burned it all same as Fugaku? ;D
Posted that photo of the original L-2000 press kit some years ago. My page at blogspot corrupted and my images were all lost. Have not re-uploaded as I’ve retired and moved away from drawing airplanes, etc.

From Icare 1962,

a good article about SST aircraft,and the Boeing-733 artist drawing from below.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    591.4 KB · Views: 125
From Icare 1966.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    657.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 3.png
    3.png
    320.5 KB · Views: 116
Supersonic transport Development Program
Phase III proposal
Vol.I - Summary

Someone posted a number of pages of this on Wikimedia in good resolution. Some images are already known and were also published in other Lockheed publications, but we have a good number of readable pages here :
Lockheed_L-2000-7_-_-_advertising_brochure_-_cover.jpg
Lockheed_L-2000-7_-_-_advertising_brochure_-_excerpt_-_detail_1.jpg
Lockheed_L-2000-7_-_-_advertising_brochure_-_excerpt_-_engines.jpg
Lockheed_L-2000-7_-_-_advertising_brochure_-_excerpt_-_internal_structure.jpg
Lockheed_L-2000-7_-_-_advertising_brochure_-_excerpt_-_roadmap.jpg
Lockheed_L-2000-7_-_-_advertising_brochure_-_excerpt_-_sonic_boom_2.jpg
Lockheed_L-2000-7_-_-_advertising_brochure_-_excerpt_-_sonic_boom.jpg
Lockheed_L-2000-7_-_-_advertising_brochure_-_excerpt_1.jpg
Lockheed_L-2000-7_-_-_advertising_brochure_-_excerpt_2.jpg
Lockheed_L-2000-7_-_-_advertising_brochure_-_excerpt_3.jpg

Post #249 , Skybolt mention this document AD478511 "NASA SCAT 15-F Feasibility Study", from 1965. Available here :
At the end there is a huge scalepan photocopied in 30 (!) pages, of the Boeing SCAT 15F-B7 study with a rotating canard surface.
I stitched the pages together ,makes a Ginormous image at full res, here a more reasonable sized one :

SCAF 15F-B7-HR-3000.jpg

Note the report also includes the SCAT 15F-B1 and B2 non-canarded ones, and detailed plan of the rotating canard of the B7
Wonder if these Boeing SCAT 15F studies ever had Boeing 733-xxx or 969-xxx designations...

Last edited:
What a detailed and interesting report this is! Immediately downloaded.
I must check this carefully.
I can't find any front view drawing of the beautiful SCAT 15F in this report. Why?
Anyway thanks for sharing.

Attachments

• Performance summary.JPG
    Performance summary.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 160
  • 733-290.jpg
    733-290.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 137
  • $(KGrHqMOKisE3Fd240u0BN2u7q,NY!~~_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqMOKisE3Fd240u0BN2u7q,NY!~~_3.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 121
  • $(KGrHqQOKjgE251T10jsBN2u9YU71!~~_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqQOKjgE251T10jsBN2u9YU71!~~_3.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 127
  • 733.JPG
    733.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Yes these Boeing plans never include front views, but we have sections tho.
I've found this 733-290 plan on Reddit too, nice, too bad it's so lo res.

Back
Top Bottom