Su-27SK Flight Manual

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here are the available sections of the Su-27SK Flight Manual- click to download - in the original Russian.

[dead links removed]

Here's a contents for Vol 1 in English, which is very helpful, courtesy of Sébastien Benoit and myself ;)

[dead link removed]

and here's a list of the various system designations in Russian, with English translations, again courtesy of Sébastien Benoit and me.

[dead link removed]

Do you use Softronic Oy WinRAR or WinAce with the .rar format?

Come to think of it, what is the .rar file type?

Isn't it a .zip alternative?

Advantages/disadvantages?

Pro/con?

It makes slightly smaller files than zip. It has a few advantages over zip format, and is widely used in distributing dubious materials.

I use Winrar or 7-Zip.

I probably should redo the files as zip files, however, to maximise compatibility for everyone.

Please excuse this off-topic gentlemen, but has anyone wondered why there wasn`t any other manual put online particularly after this one. Who of you really believes that they were declassified? I mean, those are documents not meant for public consumption, rather for servise use, so I would at least put them under some password hidden download, so that noone else unlogged to the forum can download them. I just wonder why I haven`t seen free dowloads of tornado, harrier or even eurofighter manuals out there. What do you think about that? thanks

The date of declassification is printed on the manual itself - Feb. 24, 2004.

"Free" is a different story... ;D

mrdetonator said:
Dilbert said:
The date of declassification is printed on the manual itself - Feb. 24, 2004.

"Free" is a different story... ;D

does the "GRIF SNIAT" mean it is for public? No way!!!
What is my experience is that the classified (or so-called 'secret') literature is stored in the secret library (with controles access) of any military establishemnt (unit), and after declassification of the book (manual), it is made available to the non-secret library in a given military establishemnt, where the access is unlimited, and thus everybody working in this estabisghment can even take it home for some time. Another way is that the declassified manual is provided to a public use library.

Now available in Microsoft Word format, for easy translating ::)

[dead link removed]

Excellent!

I will post a preliminary translation once I get it downloaded (currently quite slow)

This Word version is an amazing work. The translation deserves to be made into a really nice PDF. Any ideas how I can post my translation so that Russian speakers can refine the translation? Maybe post each page into a forum post?

Paul.

Heres a very rough translation. Yes, I know the layout is somewhat broken, and the translation is a little rough, but this is just a preview. PLEASE do not link directly to these files, but rather to this thread.

[broken links removed]

Pit has done some work on tidying up the parts of the manual that interests him. However, large sections of the manual are quite dull. Is anyone interested in this procedural stuff, or is the main interest in the weapons systems, avionics etc?

overscan said:
Pit has done some work on tidying up the parts of the manual that interests him. However, large sections of the manual are quite dull. Is anyone interested in this procedural stuff, or is the main interest in the weapons systems, avionics etc?
Ok, give me some sections of the manual you are most interested in, I`ll try to tidy it up. I hope the rough translation to the English has already been done.

Really amazing work :eek:, I won't sleep tonight, I don't have enough words to thank you

Great, that's hard work, thanks, but can you tell why i can't to see Su-27SK cockpit, RLE, your translations and others on this topic, it says "The requested URL /ebooks/Su-27SK-Russian.doc was not found on this server." - what the hell ?

That would be great, thanks :) just let me know when you are going to reupload them .

Su-27SK Flight Manual.

First, the cockpit pictures.

Attachments

• RLE_SU_27_kn1_260_front_panel.jpg
    RLE_SU_27_kn1_260_front_panel.jpg
    754.9 KB · Views: 316
  • RLE_SU_27_kn1_260_right_panel.jpg
    RLE_SU_27_kn1_260_right_panel.jpg
    716 KB · Views: 283
  • RLE_SU_27_kn1_260_left_panel.jpg
    RLE_SU_27_kn1_260_left_panel.jpg
    777.2 KB · Views: 267
Thank you good sir, you've done a vonderfull work :) I hope that would not the only of your translations ::) God bless you sir.

Reupload - I seem to have lost the original scans somehow but found this copy on the net.

Su-27SK Technical Manual Vol6 Chapter 2 (Avionics) & Chapter 8 (Gardeniya ECM system here (4.8MB DJVU file)

here's a list of the various system designations in Russian, with English translations, again courtesy of Sébastien Benoit and me.

System Designations (Russian/English)

Still working:

Russian Flight Manuals, reformatted in Word. The drawings are all redrawn.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/Su27_Rus_1.doc [Book 1]
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/Su27_Rus_2.doc [Book 2]

English translations. Formatting is gone a bit bad but reasonably readable.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/Su27_Eng_1.doc
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/Su27_Eng_2.doc

Reupload - I seem to have lost the original scans somehow but found this copy on the net.

Su-27SK Technical Manual Vol6 Chapter 2 (Avionics) & Chapter 8 (Gardeniya ECM system here (4.8MB DJVU file)

here's a list of the various system designations in Russian, with English translations, again courtesy of Sébastien Benoit and me.

System Designations (Russian/English)

Still working:

Russian Flight Manuals, reformatted in Word. The drawings are all redrawn.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/Su27_Rus_1.doc [Book 1]
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/Su27_Rus_2.doc [Book 2]

English translations. Formatting is gone a bit bad but reasonably readable.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/Su27_Eng_1.doc
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/Su27_Eng_2.doc
On Wikipedia, someone describes a LOAL mode for R-27ET with the reference link to Su-27 Flight Manual booklet-1. 2001. p. 151:
In cases of maximum head-on range launches where lock-command cannot be utilised, missile can be fired in PPS: In this mode, missile will fly straight until achieves target lock
But I can't find that mode mentioned in this manual
Missile.PNG

Parallel checking with Mig-29 flight manual, describe R-27ET as LOBL missile with salvo at least 8 seconds apart
R-27ET.PNG
"R-27ET missile with a passive thermal homing head (TGS) provides a mean to defeat heat-contrasting air targets flying at altitudes from 30 m to 25 km at a speed of up to 3500 km h (on opposite courses), day and night, under conditions of their optical visibility at attack from various angles. In addition, the rocket can be used to destroy unarmored heat-contrasting ground targets.

The R-27ET missile differs from the R-27ER only in the type of homing head and the absence of a radio correction line. The homing thermal head has two photodetectors: one with deep cooling to a temperature of T = –360 ° C, and the other is uncooled. The main mode of operation of the TGS is with a cooled photodetector. When the cooled gas (nitrogen) is used up, an uncooled photodetector is turned on, while the target capture ranges are sharply reduced and its attack is possible only in the ZPS. TGS has good noise immunity from active and natural interference.

In contrast to the CWG, the homing thermal head must capture the target while on the suspension by target designation from the aiming system (RLPK, KOLS, NSC, OPT) or without target designation in the Ψо mode

R-27ET 2.png
Allowed launch range R-27ET substantially the same as that of the R-27ER but PPP are limited by TGS target capture range.

The launch of R-27ET missiles is possible only with an interval of at least 8 s or thermal radiation from the previous launch eliminating the possibility TGS of the newly launched missile capturing target

The R-27R, R-27T, R-27P missiles have technical data similar to those of the R-27ER, R-27ET, R-27EP missiles, respectively, with the exception of the mass, which is: for R-27R - 253 kg, for R- 27T - 245.5 kg, for R-27P - 250 kg.

The launch of R-27T missiles is possible only with an interval of at least 6 s or thermal radiation from the previous launch eliminating the possibility TGS of the newly launched capturing target

Checking on TMC, and they said R-27ET must capture target while still under the pylon
R-27T.PNG

So is this another case of Wikipedia being unreliable or is there some LOAL mode for R-27ET that we don't know about?

The general consensus is that the IR-guided R-27 versions lack the mid-course data-link of the SARH variants, so don't possess a true LOAL capability. However, strictly speaking that appears not to be what Wikipedia claims - the scenario described is a straight (i.e. no trajectory correction) fly-out followed by the seeker hopefully acquiring the (right) target on its own once it has closed into range.

A very low-PK shot (and with a significant risk of fratricide) obviously, but the target doesn't necessarily know that and might be forced into the defensive to heed the perceived threat. Could still be a tactically valuable tool (and I note the R-27ET seems to be the most popular version left in the Russian arsenal, serving alongside the R-77 on the Su-35s deployed to Syria).

Well, what is your guess? I haven't been able to locate that line myself yet.

To my knowledge there's no lock on after launch for the R-27T/ET. The mid-course update / radiocorrection stuff is intimately connected to the radar seeker. The radiocorrection commands are transmitted by the radar in the illumination signal received by rear-facing antennas on the missile via modulation codes.

It is in principle possible to just have an INS without updates, but without corrective updates, the chances of the seeker finding the correct target on arriving at the destination is very low.

Nowadays nobody just turns on the seeker and waits for it to find a target randomly - either you have tracked a target by radar or IRST, or in your gunsight, then you hand off the target to the missile, or you use an HMS to designate a visual target - either way the WCS sends appropriate signals to the AAM to tell it roughly where to look.

You could design such a inertial + IR missile, but with say a 45 degree field of view, its a very indiscriminate weapon, with little chance of success. Nothing I've read indicates that it is possible with the R-27T/ET.

Last edited:
The R-27[E]R receives the illumination signal from the host aircraft's radar via rear-facing antennas located just behind the control surfaces. These are used to recieve a reference signal for the seeker guidance, as well as radio-correction commands. We know for certain that the R-27[E]T lack the radio-correction capability.

Attachments

• R-27-Seeker-Comparison.jpg
    R-27-Seeker-Comparison.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 77
The R-27[E]R receives the illumination signal from the host aircraft's radar via rear-facing antennas located just behind the control surfaces. These are used to recieve a reference signal for the seeker guidance, as well as radio-correction commands. We know for certain that the R-27[E]T lack the radio-correction capability.
I heard people talking about the rear facing antenna for a while but never noticed the location until now.
. However, strictly speaking that appears not to be what Wikipedia claims - the scenario described is a straight (i.e. no trajectory correction) fly-out followed by the seeker hopefully acquiring the (right) target on its own once it has closed into range.
That does sound like LOAL to me, AIM-132 does the same thing. However I just can't locate that line in the manual

R-27_inert.jpg

Isn't the blue is antenna for a radio fuze (four antennas, toward all same directions as each wing)?
And the red circled is external antenna for a rearward for radio commands as well measure the guiding radar emission for comparison (two antennas, one for each side, for data-link)?

So isn't the consensus here that the red circled antenna is nothing more than data-link antenna, and nothing to do with fuze or such?