Register here

Author Topic: NASA HL-20 lifting body  (Read 14492 times)

Offline archipeppe

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: NASA HL-20 lifting body
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2010, 07:45:25 am »
It has 5 1/2 segments on the solids, which would mean Titan 34D.

Edit:  Actually it could be a Commercial Titan III (no transtage and therefore no "C" designation)  NASA did buy one for Mars Observer

Aha, this makes the things clearer.
I could also arrange a drawing with a Titan 34D....

Offline CFE

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2010, 10:10:05 am »
My nitpick with the drawings (as beautiful as they are) is seeing only two engines on the NLS core vehicle.  I suppose that NLS would have looked like a stretched Shuttle ET with six engines on the core (the four around the perimeter dropped off like the booster engines on the Atlas.)

Offline Archibald

Conservatoire de l'Air et de l'Espace d'Aquitaine - Bordeaux - Mérignac / Dassault aviation museum
http://www.caea.info/en/plan.php

Offline Byeman

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2010, 10:41:40 pm »
In effect the original HL-20 proposal was recycled twice: the first time for the OSP proposal, around 2000, and the second time for the DreamChaser second layout for COTS (taking into account that not fresh new are about it since a couple of years).

Although DreamChaser didn't win an initial COTS award, it has been granted some more recent funding (some details in the DreamChaser thread at http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4389.0).

Offline PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2014, 03:30:00 pm »
"They can't see our arses for dust."

- Sir Sydney Camm

Offline sferrin

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2014, 12:23:06 pm »
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline Skyblazer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2014, 03:06:25 am »
Inasmuch as I loved the Dyna-Soar, M2 and X-24 lifting body designs, I always hated this bugger. Looked like a badminton shuttlecock to me!

Offline Triton

• Donald McKelvy
    • Deep Blue to Wild Blue
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2017, 11:06:35 am »
"HL-20 as a Personnel Launch System"

Offline John Frazer

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
  • I really should change my personal text
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2018, 12:51:32 am »
Not at all accurate to say it came from any NASA work originally. It was from the USSR Cold War era space interceptor, the Uragan ("Hurricane"). The competitor to the USAF X-20 Dyna-Soar.

A model was flown to test heat-shield materials for the Buran ("Blizzard") Space Shuttle copy, and the HL-20 was designed from seeing that model. Langley found that it had good stability & control across the needed speed ranges and good landing handling. "Exceptionally benign" thermal characteristics during re-entry.

Lozino-Lozhinsky, working for the MiG design bureau invented the lifting body, named "Lapot" or wooden shoe, for the nose. NASA said it created a stand-off layer in front which kept the intense heat away and everything else was swept behind the Mach cone, as usual for MiG.
MiG-105 test plane made drop tests onto dirt strips with extendable skids, and it made hop flights with fixed wheels under its jet power.
Altogether with the Soviet and NASA Langley work, the HL-20 was very conservatively engineered, very thoroughly worked out and well-understood. It would have put the Shuttle industry out of business, and that's why we didn't use it after the Challenger accident.
It was most definitely "Not Invented Here".

Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-105

Offline Archibald

« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2018, 02:58:37 am »
Mostly right, except for THIS

It was from the USSR Cold War era space interceptor, the Uragan ("Hurricane")

This never existed, and has been long debunked as a blunder by the CIA, that single-handedly invented a spacecraft and a mission (space interceptor) that never existed in the first place.
The BOR-4 and Avion 105 were the offsprings of the Spiral program (1965 - 1977) where the lifting body was stuck to an expendable NK-33 powered rocket booster, itself attached to a mach 5 airbreathing piloted aircraft. The later was later dropped for an An-124, then the An-225, and evolved into System 49, Bizan, and finally MAKS, the tripropellant air launched mini-shuttle.

Conservatoire de l'Air et de l'Espace d'Aquitaine - Bordeaux - Mérignac / Dassault aviation museum
http://www.caea.info/en/plan.php

Offline John Frazer

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
  • I really should change my personal text
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2018, 03:46:22 am »
"Spiral" was the early name, for what they later resurrected as Uragan, correct? For them, it never progressed beyond that, before the succession of other planes up to the Buran and then MAKS as the intended survivor.
What mistake did the CIA make? Calling it a space interceptor in the '60s instead of a single-orbit bomber in the '80s?
Small matter of difference. They envisaged it with nuclear missiles for targets in the North Atlantic for instance, so it could presumably have functioned as either.

The fact remains that the USSR early-on did work on a small manned military spaceplane for which the MiG-105 flew tests, and the BOR-4 was a remainder of it, later flown to test TPS for the Buran. That test was the origin of the HL-20 and Dream Chaser

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/spiral_development.html

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2018, 05:37:43 am »
"Spiral" was the early name, for what they later resurrected as Uragan, correct?
Not. It never 'resurrected as Uragan'.
"There are many disbelievers in
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works

Offline XP67_Moonbat

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2018, 10:57:06 pm »
Uragan rears it's ugly head again.
In God we trust, all others we monitor. :-p