Cunliffe-Owen Four Engined Transport Aircraft Project

Hesham ,

This is commercial art only I am afraid... not a projected design.
(last aircraft was their COA 19 Concordia ,abandoned in November 1947)

Stupid question, who's Cunliffe-Owen? Are they in someway related to Airspeed? It looks like a 4-engined Ambassador to me.

Not a Burnelli fan, eh? ;D

Cunliffe-Owen Aircraft was a small firm set up at Eastleigh to build the UB-14 licenced as the OA-1. A prototype was built but the OA-1 tanked. The unbuilt OA-2 project was also a Burnelli-type lifting body design.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4178.0/highlight,cunliffe.html

Cunliffe-Owen spent the war doing repairs for the Supermarine flight test facility across the runway. After the war, Cunliffe-Owen built the prototype Concordia 10-seat transport but production was cancelled and the factory sold to Ford.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,979.0/highlight,cunliffe.html

Not a good idea to bring these fossil threads back from the dead but I decided to do so as the answer given above was incorrect. This was indeed a genuine project designed for a speculative airline venture that C-O hoped to launch with Cunard White Star as partner.

Last edited:
Not a good idea to bring these fossil threads back from the dead but I decided to do so as the answer given above was incorrect. This was indeed a genuine project designed for a speculative airline venture that C-O hoped to launch with Cunard White Star as partner.
Reviving old threads is controversial on some internet forums.
For example, over on www.alternatehistory.com they want to see new threads every week, with fresh questions/alternate scenarios.
OTOH many of us on www.secretprojects.co.uk (speculative fiction) or www.dropzone.com (skydiving) prefer to have all the entries on a specific airplane on the same thread ... even if the last post was a decade ago.
What are your thoughts?

As an historian and author, I greatly appreciate the revisiting of old threads, most especially for the addition of new information, correction of old mistakes (ALWAYS a field rife with opportunity here) or to ask questions in order to encourage better understanding.

Admittedly there are times when revisiting an old topic is not only trying to spur on a dead horse, but the corpse has pretty much rotted away.

This site is a delightful mix of pretty much all the above, and delves into subjects which I would never think to research (and still won't after reading about it here, but still interesting!).

I encourage this discourse, no matter how wrong, out of left field, or out of place.

Well done, chaps!

AlanG

For the full story see my article in The Aviation Historian issue 45.

If you do not have a subscription to the journal........why not? Also you can order individual issues from their website.

Last edited:

If you do not have a subscription to the journal........why not? Also you can order individual issues from their website.

Many thanks to you my dear Schneiderman.

I read the article,it's brilliant work my dear Schneiderman,and I have a
question,how we know the series O.A.1 to 19 ?.

Thanks Hesham, I'm glad you liked it.
I have found no evidence that the O.A designations were applied to any other project, certainly neither the 'Ocean Airways' aircraft nor the Concordia

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom