Orion Document: New To Anyone?

Grif

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
I may be about to make myself look stupid here, with something that lots of you know about already, but this was found by someone on the SF-Consim Yahoo Group:

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19770085619_1977085619.pdf

Hope that's of interest!

Grif

Grif said:
I may be about to make myself look stupid here, with something that lots of you know about already,

That one's been out in the public since '95. More specifically, that one got released to the public in '95 due to Freedom of Information Act requests by yours truly.

Orionblamblam said:
Grif said:
I may be about to make myself look stupid here, with something that lots of you know about already,

That one's been out in the public since '95. More specifically, that one got released to the public in '95 due to Freedom of Information Act requests by yours truly.

Well, thank you sir for having it released!

That is an awesome document.

(And thanks to Grif for (Re?)Posting it)

Ignoring political realities, what would the effect be on space infrastructure if this were implemented today? How far out would assembly need to take place in order not to fry a lot of satellites? Would lighting it off on the other side of the Van Allen belt be sufficient?

(Of course, the added fuel needed to get there would be non-trivial)

Brickmuppet said:
Ignoring political realities, what would the effect be on space infrastructure if this were implemented today?

If an Orion program were initiated *today,* it would take at least ten years to fly. Probably closer to 20, given political and technical realities. By that point, most satellites would need repalcing anyway... so, given the knowledge that they're soon be a new sources of radiation, the next generation of satellites should be appropriately shielded.

Otherwise. launching from well above the north or south poles, or beyond the Van Allen belts, shoudl be adequate.

Back
Top Bottom