Register here

Author Topic: Napier Agricopter / Napier-Pan Britannica Agricultural Gyroplane  (Read 2631 times)

Offline boxkite

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
For the friends of small helicopters - the Napier "Agrocopter" (from "aero" magazine 10/1961). Never heard of a helicopter company with this name - any connection/relation to the Napier engine manufacturer? I don't believe.

Offline steelpillow

• CLEARANCE: Secret
  • So many projects, so little time...
Re: Napier Agricopter / Napier-Pan Britannica Agricultural Gyroplane
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 12:02:12 pm »
Napier the engine company did produce aircraft designs from time to time. In 1959 they tendered the "Seahorse" anti-submarine missile, see https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,25507.msg259183.html#msg259183

The Agrocopter looks like an autogyro to me, after the classic Bensen/Wallis pattern. It could well have been by the usual Napier engine Co. but I can find no other reference to prove it either way.
Cheers.

Offline Apophenia

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 01:38:23 pm »
They got the name slightly wrong ... G-21-3 was a prototype Napier Agricopter, derived from the Bensen B.SM (B.SMEJ) Gyrocopter. Also known as the Napier-Pan Britannica Agricultural Gyroplane and the Napier-Benson Gyrocopter.

Three Agricopters were built in 1961 (likely all at Luton): G-29-2,  G-29-3, and G-29-4.

http://www.nwamuseum.co.uk/AIRCRAFT%20MANUFACTURE-1.pdf
Aircraft Manufacture in West Essex,  North Weald Airfield Museum , 2010, pp.11-12

Offline steelpillow

• CLEARANCE: Secret
  • So many projects, so little time...
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 02:23:34 am »
Nice find, thanks.
Should this topic perhaps be renamed "Napier Agricopter", "Napier-Pan Britannica Agricultural Gyroplane", or "Napier-Bensen B8" (after the registration details of G-ATWT), or what?

title changed
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 07:46:53 am by Jemiba »
Cheers.