Register here

Author Topic: Lockheed A-12 and SR-71 projects  (Read 44177 times)

Offline SOC

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • APA Contributor
    • IMINT & Analysis
Lockheed A-12 and SR-71 projects
« on: May 31, 2006, 03:24:20 pm »
SENIOR CITIZEN is supposed to be some sort of stealthy transport for special ops stuff.

Here's some info on a few unbuilt SENIOR CROWN variations:

SR-71I

30 September 1980 iteration:
-AWG-9 radar
-four AIM-54 missiles
-anti-AWACS tasked

1 November 1982 iteration:
-APG-65 radar
-four AIM-120 missiles (80 nm range when fired at Mach 3.1 and 80,000 feet)
-anti-AWACS tasked
-secondary anti-bomber tasking

SR-71(Bx) (1976)

-nuclear strike aircraft
-four AGM-69 missiles (514 nm downrange/200 nm crossrange range when fired at Mach 3 and 80,000 feet)

I've got declassified project documents for all three of these.  Interesting stuff, to say the least.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 01:14:42 am by PaulMM (Overscan) »

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
Re: Lockheed A-12 and SR-71 projects
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 03:53:20 pm »
Would you like to share images of these? Of course, one shouldn't be Einstein to imagine how all that stuff can be implanted into SR-71, but...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 03:56:46 pm by flateric »
"There are many disbelievers in
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works

Offline SOC

• APA Contributor
    • IMINT & Analysis
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 04:16:15 pm »
I'm working on resizing them (the scans are like 500kb each) and getting them into Photobucket as we speak, it just takes a while!

Offline SOC

• APA Contributor
    • IMINT & Analysis
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 05:57:45 pm »

Offline SOC

• APA Contributor
    • IMINT & Analysis
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 06:09:37 pm »

Offline SOC

• APA Contributor
    • IMINT & Analysis
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 06:10:53 pm »
There's the SR-71I 1980 proposal, and the SR-71(Bx) proposal.  The 1982 SR-71I proposal is going to take a little longer since I'll have to manually re-save the images into a format accepted by Photobucket!

Offline PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 12:39:45 pm »
Very nice, Sean, thanks.

Paul.
"They can't see our arses for dust."

- Sir Sydney Camm

Offline Trident

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 04:00:33 am »
Great stuff, thanks!

Offline fightingirish

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 05:37:12 am »
Hi folks,

while cleaning up my attachments in another forum, I found these pictures and information about planned bomber versions of the A-12 and the SR-71. Please notice, that this version had free-falling bombs in the fuselage. Later planned versions had SRAM’s in the chines.

Page 122 and 123:

Concurrent to the activity on the AF-12, a bomber version of the A-12, referred to as the RB-12, also was being studied. A forward fuselage full-scale mock-up had been completed and on July 5, along with the AF-12 mockup, was reviewed by Generals Curtis LeMay
and Thomas Power. The two found the mockups of considerable interest and asked if either configuration could be modified to carry a terminal radar or an air-to-ground missile. Johnson responded favorably, by stating, "we could do this within the aerodynamic configuration of the A-12 and, for the job that they outlined to do, which was to place a missile within 200 feet of a target, one could not argue about the use of a guided missile rather than our simpler approach in the RB-12 report." The latter referred to the use of conventional free-falling bombs. The RB-12 study had in fact resulted from the recent development of small, high-yield nuclear warheads. Johnson, in an RB-12 proposal, had noted that the aircraft could result in a "very powerful striking force...with little or no weight or space penalty..." to the aircraft. Four hypothetical 400 pound bombs based on the new warheads, or a single Polaris-sized warhead could be accommodated in a fuselage bomb bay while retaining the same fuel load as  the reconnaissance A-12. No aerodynamic changes were required and the radar attenuating
features of the aircraft could be retained. The latter, coupled with the aircraft's extraordinary performance, almost certainly would make chances of detection close to non-existent. In addition to these queries, it was noted by Johnson that, "While Hughes was giving a presentation on a simplified air-to-ground weapon system, LeMay took me by the arm and we went to another office. He told me that he wasn't very sure that the RB-12 would become a model, but he felt sure 'we would get some fighters'. I asked him, 'what about reconnaissance airplanes like the A-12?' and he seemed surprised that the Air Force were not getting any. He made a note on a yellow paper and asked me how soon we would have to know about A-12s to continue our production. I told him within two to three months." In fact, the RB-12 program would not reach the hardware stage. This was not as a result of lack of capability, but rather because it was a threat to the on-going North American XB-70A Valkyrie...a program with considerable political clout and one on which the Air Force had hung its hat for a Boeing B-52 replacement. Surprisingly, as noted on October 26, 1961, Johnson discovered the Department of Defense found the RB-12 more interesting than the AF-12. He noted, however, "The Air Force, from LeMay down, do want the AF-12."

Four years later:
Page 146

As a perturbation of the now seemingly defunct RS-12, Johnson and the rest of the Skunk Works engineering team had continued to pursue an armed version of the A-12 configuration... in the form of a bomber SR-71. Referred to in-house at Lockheed as the B-71, on April 21, 1965, it was presented by Johnson to a small contingent of Air Force generals. Johnson had seen an opportunity in the form of the demise of the North American XB-70 and its proposed replacement with a bomber version of the still-experimental and highly controversial F-111. As Johnson so modestly described it, "I wanted them to know about our studies so they would not go too fast on the FB-111".
Source:
•   Jay Miller - Lockheed Martin's Skunk Works, ISBN: 1-85780-037-0

Dear mods, before starting this topic, I did use the search machine,
Your memory is anyway the best index, so feel free to move this post to a suitable topic.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 01:00:52 pm by flateric »
Slán,
fightingirish

Slán ist an Irish Gaelic word for Goodbye.  :)

McDonnell Douglas Model 225 painting by "The Artist" Michael Burke (Tavush) 2018, found at deviantart.com and at Secret Projects Forum » Research Topics » User Artwork » McDonnell Douglas Model 225 Painting

Offline Michel Van

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 12:23:26 pm »
i found this internet (homepage is death now)

Picture called Yf12
but is this a Fighter with missile ?
or
a Bomber with freefall nuclear bombs type B61 ?

« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 01:00:15 pm by flateric »
I love Strange Technology

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 12:56:41 pm »
Merged topics with similar subjects.

Please stop posting stuff from Jay Miller book - it's readily available for purchasing on the net, or, at least, post it in lower resolution/size.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 01:07:18 pm by flateric »
"There are many disbelievers in
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works

Offline fightingirish

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 01:27:19 pm »
Michel, that cutaway is featured on the last pages of Paul F. Crickmore book "Lockheed SR-71 The secret missions exposed". I also saw that scan at the french site Prototypes.com, actually here . Coach @ Flugzeugforum.de has that in a larger size, but in 3 pieces. You can read the text, which tells us that the later bomber version of the A-12 had 4 Boeing AGM-69's "SRAM" in the chines. The fins were modified "for Mach 3.2 launch".

At the end all bomber versions were cancelled by Mc Namara, because ICBM's and SLBM's were in his mind the better first strike strategic weapons. Also at that time (1961) the A-12 was still Top Secret, so now control through the US Congress.

Slán,
fightingirish

Slán ist an Irish Gaelic word for Goodbye.  :)

McDonnell Douglas Model 225 painting by "The Artist" Michael Burke (Tavush) 2018, found at deviantart.com and at Secret Projects Forum » Research Topics » User Artwork » McDonnell Douglas Model 225 Painting

Offline Michel Van

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 08:52:21 pm »
Merged topics with similar subjects.

Please stop posting stuff from Jay Miller book - it's readily available for purchasing on the net, or, at least, post it in lower resolution/size.

i sorry for that
the image was without info
had i knew that from Miller book had didn't post it

thanks for the info's
I love Strange Technology

Offline KJ_Lesnick

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 10:58:19 am »
The SR-71 to my knowledge from the get-go could be modified to carry AGM-69 SRAM's... that's what its original function was.  Assess damage following nuclear strike and if necessary take out remaining targets with SRAM's. 

How were they able to make such proposals after 1968.  All the major assembly jigs and tooling was destroyed then?

KJ_Lesnick

Offline SOC

• APA Contributor
    • IMINT & Analysis
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 09:49:04 am »
All of the post-1968 proposals involved modifying existing airframes.