Re: Krupp Raumer S

That's the Krupp "Raumer s." A mine clearing vehicle. Apparently only one built, captured in Germany by the US. Not a "super truck," just a vehicle designed to roll over mines and not get blown to flinders... an early vehicle of the kind like the "Buffalo" currently being used in the Iraq theater of operations.

Buffalo_mine-protected_vehicle.jpg

you are right about the mine clearing part ... it is indeed a 130 tn super heavy mine exploding vehicle which is why just blase wheels ... but to say that this is a predecessor of the Claw is a bit of a stretch except in the vaguest generic sense... apparently this German vehicle has also been used for moving stuff... which is why I posted it

but to say that this is a predecessor of the Claw is a bit of a stretch except in the vaguest generic sense

Predecessor in the sense that both vehicles are meant to drive around in mined areas, get blasted upon and keep driving around, clearing the way for other vehicles. Not in the sense that the designers of the Buffalo used the Raumer S as a blueprint, no.

or did they ? more interestingly what kind of a hull did this beast use to disperse the blast?

Attachments

• 2048483354_838f9f5b19_o.jpg
    2048483354_838f9f5b19_o.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 699

or did they ? more interestingly what kind of a hull did this beast use to disperse the blast?

The thickly armored kind. Sloping armor doesn't seem to have been important. The distance from the ground to the bottom of the vehicle is fairly substantial, the designers may have thought that that distance coupled with thick armor would be adequate.

and was it adequate ? did they use pure metallic armour? OBB take a closer look at the front section ... I think it slopes ( and the back as well)..

hey thanks for that ... however before the moderators or hey cut this vril stuff out camp jump on me :) .... I'd like to make a tenuous link ... maybe those SA vehicles were first thought up by german expatriates ( read fleeing Nazis ) :D in any case what do you think of the Raumer's sloping front and back

Did not most German armoured vehicles have sloping fronts (indeed this vehicle like a few other armoured cars has a front at both ends by the look of it) to help deflect shells from penetrating?

Jon - thanks for the link.

avatar - the hull slopes at the front and rear for ground clearance. It would not deflect blast in the same way as the South African vehicles and their many conceptual descendants.

There is no ex-Nazi connection with the South African mine-resistant vehicles with V-shaped hulls. The concept was formalized by Dr Vernon P. Joynt at CSIR (South Africa's Council for Scientific and Industrial Research).

Dr Joynt helped develop those early Rhodesian concepts into vehicles like the Buffel and Casspir through Mechem (essentially the production side of the CSIR). He was also responsible for commissioning prototype vehicles from the Windhoeker Maschinenfabrik (WMF) in Namibia. (As close as you're going to get for any 'German' connection.)

Those commissioned prototypes (developed from WMF's Wolf) were called Minekiller. Minekiller, in turn, was refined and 'productionized' by Mechem into the Buffalo for Force Protection.

BTW, Dr Joynt is now also the Chief Scientist at Force Protection, a firm started by Garth Barrett (ex-Rhodesian SAS, then commander of the ex-pat D40 Recce, SADF). So, no German connections there either.

okay okay .. it has no monocoque v-shaped hull and it has no vril connection ;D .... spoilsports

It's real, it's a german vehicle to remove mines. ;D
It's a prototype. it's never used.

Thanks,

Are there any other pictures?

The webpage you link to above has quite a few pictures of this vehicle and its name "Krupp Räumer S". If you had taken this name to Google or even the search function of this webpage all you questions would have answers:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,3769.msg29554.html#msg29554

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&safe=off&rls=com.microsoft:en-au:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7ADBR_en&q=Krupp+R%C3%A4umer+S&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1259&bih=604&wrapid=tlif130871090586310&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

A page on the Raumer S and the little known Alkett 3 wheeled minesweeper

Hello! Just joined the site. I'm trying to find any details about the interior of this vehicle. Are there any interior photos and/or drawings? Any tech drawings of any sort? I've been googling for 30 mins and can't find anything!