Mirage F2 and F3

Archibald

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
These are the less-known Mirages. When I say less-knwon, I mean there's NOTHING on the web.
Some questions
- Flight test program of the Mirage F-2, late 60's
- Where is the Mirage F-2 prototype? scrapped or waiting somewhere in France?
- Apparently the F-2 interested Israel. Any details about the contacts? (circa 1965)
- I heard some Mirage F-3 (single-seat interceptor variant) were in construction when the F-1 was elected in may 1967.

In brief : every data, picure, drawings about these two planes would be very interesting

Hi I recently get this book.
"Le Mirage F1 Vol.1 Les Profils Avions No12/Editions Lela Press (www.avions-bateaux.com)"
This book contains very detailed Mirage F2 three-view drawings and many other unknown Mirage.
Also F3 mock-up pictures are included. Very fascinating book!

Attachments

• mirage F1.jpg
    mirage F1.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 1,321
More happy owners of that book here:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2205.0/highlight,lela+press.html

Oh! I missed this post. Skybolt is super! He knows every thing. I think this book is really super.

Archibald said:
These are the less-known Mirages. When I say less-knwon, I mean there's NOTHING on the web.
Some questions

- Where is the Mirage F-2 prototype? scrapped or waiting somewhere in France?

It's just inside the gate at the CEAT testing establishment in Toulouse.

Yes it is. I even find it on Google Earth ! ;D

The CEAT (or at least the Mirage F2) is not exactly in Toulouse, rather in a suburb called Balma (sounds russian to me!)

We need a petition to preserve this aircraft and send it at Le Bourget museum...

The first picture is new to me. Looks like it had been taken at an airshow... Le Bourget maybe, 1967 or 1969 ?

P.S We need upgrade to Prototypes.com ;)

Yes, the first photo was taken at "Le Bourget" airshow !
For "Prototype.com" web site, it is paused because I have no time and motivation to continue. It is a huge job to make a site like this...
I apologize for my poor English ...

Your work at Prototype.com is great. Don't give up. If you need collaboration, you're on the right place.

regards

Antonio

pometablava said:
Your work at Prototype.com is great. Don't give up. If you need collaboration, you're on the right place.

regards

Antonio

Definitely one of the better sites out there. :)

If there are volunteers to write articles to put on the site "Prototypes.com" I'll be glad to built HTML page and then online ...

JPC said:
Yes, the first photo was taken at "Le Bourget" airshow !
For "Prototype.com" web site, it is paused because I have no time and motivation to continue. It is a huge job to make a site like this...
I apologize for my poor English ...

Wow, after the great Mister Gatial, the great JPC is on secretprojects :eek:

Yes, Prototype.com is a very interesting site :)

No souçaïe, your english cannot be as bad as mine ;)

Dear Boys and Girls, here is a short article in French (with a centrespread) about the début of the beautiful Avions Marcel Dassault Mirage F2 jet strike aircraft prototype.

The article and centrespread come from the 1st July 1966 issue of Aviation Magazine International......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Dear Boys and Girls, here is a short article in French about the then new Avions Marcel Dassault Mirage F2 prototype; note that the aircraft was still being referred to as the "Mirage III F2". The drawing in the article shows a planned Mirage III E2 "project" which later emerged as the Mirage F1. The article also makes reference to the Mirage III F3 interceptor version which remained a "project"......

The article comes from the 15th July 1966 issue of Aviation Magazine International......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Dear Boys and Girls, here is a contemporary advertisement for the Avions Marcel Dassault Mirage F2, but I believe by this stage the aircraft was only being used to test systems for the smaller Mirage F1......

The advertisement comes from the 15th June 1967 issue of Aviation Magazine International......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Attachments

• Avions Marcel Dassault Mirage F2 advertisement - Aviation Magazine International - No.jpg
    Avions Marcel Dassault Mirage F2 advertisement - Aviation Magazine International - No.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 838
Thank you Mr Caravellarella have you any cutaway of Mirage F.2

ivran said:
Thank you Mr Caravellarella have you any cutaway of Mirage F.2

I'm sorry Ivran; I haven't been able to find a cutaway of the Mirage F2 yet, but I'm still looking. I've found that the Mirage F2 prototype isn't documented nearly as well as the Mirage F1 prototype or the Mirage G series......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Thank you anyway J love very much Mirage G and G8 and looking for informations and color views and original pictrures

Dear Boys and Girls, here is a short article in French confirming that the Avions Marcel Dassault Mirage F2 prototype was being used for trial purposes only to verify the performance of the smaller Mirage F1......

The article comes from the 15th December 1967 issue of Aviation Magazine International......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Attachments

• Avions Marcel Dassault Mirage F2 prototype - Aviation Magazine International - No.jpg
    Avions Marcel Dassault Mirage F2 prototype - Aviation Magazine International - No.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 861
Dear Boys and Girls, here is a contemporary SARMA (Société Anonyme de Recherches et Mécaniques Appliquée) advertisement featuring a picture of the Avions Marcel Dassault Mirage F2 prototype......

The advertisement comes from the 15th December 1966 issue of Aviation Magazine International......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Dear Boys and Girls, here is a picture of the Avions Marcel Dassault Mirage F2 prototype......

The picture comes from the June 1985 issue of Le Fana de l'Aviation......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Attachments

• Avions Marcel Dassault Mirage F2 - Le Fana de l'Aviation - No. 187 - Juin 1985.......jpg
    Avions Marcel Dassault Mirage F2 - Le Fana de l'Aviation - No. 187 - Juin 1985.......jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 558
Re: Avions Marcel Dassault Mirage F2 model......

Dear Boys and Girls, here is a small picture of a model of the Avions Marcel Dassault Mirage F2 design as exhibited at the 1965 Paris Salon. In the background there is a model of the Mirage III V......

The pictures is one of three showing models of the Mirage G and the Mirage F2 alongside each other showing that both designs were (at this stage) contemporaries......

The pictures come from the 1st July 1965 issue of Aviation Magazine International......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Thanks a lot! Mirage F2 was one of the most beautiful fighter for me. Mirage F3's shape was almost same as Mirage F1?
I can't find any Mirage F3 drawings.

blackkite said:
Thanks a lot! Mirage F2 was one of the most beautiful fighter for me. Mirage F3's shape was almost same as Mirage F1?
I can't find any Mirage F3 drawings.

Yes, thank you blackkite; I agree that the Mirage F2 is beautiful. I haven't found anything (yet) on the Mirage F3 and I suspect there isn't much to be found as it was an unbuilt "project" which had been cancelled/abandoned rather than a real, built and flown aircraft......

Here is a very small picture of the Mirage F2 being demonstrated at the 1967 Paris Salon......

The picture comes from the 15th June 1967 issue of Aviation Magazine International......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Dear Boys and Girls, here are pictures with a caption in French of the Avions Marcel Dassault Mirage F2 prototype (along with the smaller Mirage F1 prototype for comparison)......

The pictures come from the 1st April 1967 issue of Aviation Magazine International......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Attachments

• Avions Marcel Dassault Mirage F2 & F1 prototypes - Aviation Magazine International - No.jpg
    Avions Marcel Dassault Mirage F2 & F1 prototypes - Aviation Magazine International - No.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 575
Dear Boys and Girls, here is a striking magazine cover showing the Avions Marcel Dassault Mirage F2 prototype (middle) flying in formation with the Mirage G prototype (rear) and the Mirage F1 prototype......

The cover comes from the 15th July 1969 issue of Aviation Magazine International......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Attachments

• Avions Marcel Dassault Mirage G, F2 & F1 prototypes cover - Aviation Magazine International - No.jpg
    Avions Marcel Dassault Mirage G, F2 & F1 prototypes cover - Aviation Magazine International - No.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 724
Archibald said:
I love this picture !

Isn't it a great shot Archibald? Dassault were certainly very, very busy (and creative) in the mid/late 1960s ;D

Dear Boys and Girls, here is a paragraph in French from a larger article confiming that the Avions Marcel Dassault Mirage F2 was (then) being developed in place of a previously unknown "project" for a single-seater Avions Marcel Dassault Mirage F. The text also confirms that even at this early stage, the Avions Marcel Dassault Mirage F2 (which first flew on 12th June 1966) was considered to be a test-bed for the SNECMA/Pratt & Whitney TF-306 afterburning turbofan as well as being the prototype for an new strike aircraft......

The paragraph comes from the 1st February 1965 issue of Aviation Magazine International......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Caravellarella said:
Archibald said:
I love this picture !

Isn't it a great shot Archibald? Dassault were certainly very, very busy (and creative) in the mid/late 1960s ;D

Which partially explains why the "unbuild Mirages" thread is quite messy.

Oh, by the way, that old Mirage F2 still exists, preserved by the CEAT, Balma, near Toulouse. It can be clearly be seen on Google Earth, and on the Geoportail (France own's Google Earth ;D). Access to the aircraft is severely limited (unless you work for the CEAT, of course), and it can't be seen from the outside.

a rough translation of this
index.php

date 1st February 1965

Mirage III F2
the revelation we made recently of existent of the Mirage III F and F2
today we can tell that the Mirage III F (mono seater) is canceled.
And Mirage III F2 is actually in develoment

further test on on engine Pratt and Whitney SNECMA TF-306 on way
if are information are correct
It could be also that the two seater serve for nuclear bombing on low altitude, one day in begin of 1970.

Hi,

here is a drawing to Dassault Mirage F-2.

Attachments

• F-2.JPG
    F-2.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 945
photos at le bourget air show
text from aviation magazine
carnet de vol

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    595.3 KB · Views: 1,039
  • t22.jpg
    t22.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 796
  • t33.jpg
    t33.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 929
Hi! Mirage F2.

https://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/modernplanes/dassault/19933/view/dassault_mirage_iii_f2/

Attachments

• dassault-mirage-iii-f2.png
    dassault-mirage-iii-f2.png
    74 KB · Views: 817