Naval Spitfire variants

Hi,

do you know also the Supermarine Type numbers?

Servus Maveric

text removed but the pic stays ...

Attachments

• 0.PZL.PNG
    0.PZL.PNG
    33 KB · Views: 335
I find it very interesting that the proposed Sabre-engined Spitfire proposal also attempts to alleviate one of the Spitfires most notorious design flaws – Its narrow centre-lined, main landing gear arrangement!
I have for years wondered why after so much continues upgrading and redesign of the numerous Spitfire variants, as to why they did not fix this problem.
Going by the 3-view drawing of the Sabre-engine Spitfire – it almost looks of Fw-190 influence, from head-on!

Regards
Pioneer

Attachments

• 3-view drawing of Supermarine's proposed Sabre - based on the Spitfire.jpg
    3-view drawing of Supermarine's proposed Sabre - based on the Spitfire.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 355
Pioneer said:
I find it very interesting that the proposed Sabre-engined Spitfire proposal also attempts to alleviate one of the Spitfires most notorious design flaws – Its narrow centre-lined, main landing gear arrangement!
I have for years wondered why after so much continues upgrading and redesign of the numerous Spitfire variants, as to why they did not fix this problem.
Going by the 3-view drawing of the Sabre-engine Spitfire – it almost looks of Fw-190 influence, from head-on!
Regards
Pioneer
Yes, I think this design has very little in common with a Spitfire. Saying it was a Spitfire, did you mean: a Supermarine single-piston-engine fighter? (look at the fin, so different from a Spitfire, both Mk 1 and Mk 24):
r_Sabre51_d.jpg

The W-winged version also seems to address that issue as well, & it at least looks like a Spitfire derivative. The Sabre a/c seems to share nothing with a Spit.

Pioneer said:

Regards
Pioneer

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnVJJ9BVLGU

Armoured Carriers
Armoured Carriers
19.5K subscribers

SUBSCRIBE
Those who flew it loved it. Those who didn't loathed it. The Supermarine Seafire was as controversial as it was lethal. Here pilots share their experience, observations and opinions of this poorly understood emergency fleet fighter.

EDIT:

Adam Kowalski
2 months ago
Another great material! British carrier operations are almost unknown in our part of Europe. 2:36 it's Spitfire from polish 302 fighter squadron. Thx for this easter egg. My grandma's brother was a fighter pilot fighting in Spitfires that days. Greetings from Poland.

Last edited:

Regards
Pioneer

What is even more interesting is that this is the first proposal of any kind that I've seen where the exhaust is being dumped into the radiator duct. This idea was put forward by Meredith as a way of further increasing the thrust generated by a radiator installation.

Also surprising is that this looks like an annular installation, or something close to it, and is dated Aug '42.