Swedish project SAAB L27

Justo Miranda

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I found some Swedish wartime projects that seem to be inspired in the Spitfire, the Mustang and the Messerschmitt Bf 110

Attachments

• Escanear0002.jpg
    Escanear0002.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 1,207
  • Escanear0004.jpg
    Escanear0004.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 1,094
  • Escanear0005.jpg
    Escanear0005.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 960
  • Escanear0006.jpg
    Escanear0006.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 1,007
ISTR reading somewhere that this one is based on the Fairey Firefly.

Justo Miranda said:
I found some Swedish wartime projects that seem to be inspired in the Spitfire, the Mustang and the Messerschmitt Bf 110

Just call me Ray said:
:eek: DANG! Such a shame they didn't build it!
Well we built the J-29 instead which was at the time one of if not the best jet fighter in the world in 1948. It out turned
both the mig and the sabre while being just as fast. It even held the speed record in the early 50's. It was later beaten by a sabre which crashed when breaking the record.

frank said:
ISTR reading somewhere that this one is based on the Fairey Firefly.

Justo Miranda said:
Its not inspired by the firefly but the dude ho designed the firefly helped designing the L27

Dear friends,
here I post a very very very nice gallery of a model about the Saab L27.
I hope you'll enjoy!
Best regards.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dizzyfugu/27972348614/in/photostream/

Attached colour drawing of the SAAB J 27 second prototype and more about Swedish military aircraft projects :
http://sturgeonshouse.ipbhost.com/topic/68-aerospace-pictures-and-art-thread/?page=3

Attachments

• SAAB J-27.jpg
    SAAB J-27.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 556
That paint sheme is a bit unrealistic as the second prototype would never be allowed to have personalized markings such as a shark mouth. The nosecone would be black considering the era.

A prototype and service plane is differnet.
Unknown-1.jpeg

blockhaj said:
That paint sheme is a bit unrealistic as the second prototype would never be allowed to have personalized markings such as a shark mouth. The nosecone would be black considering the era.
There is an explanation of the L 27 painting as it's shown when hypothetical evaluated in 1946 by a concrete aviation unit, just the F8 Wing of the Flygvapen.

its based on the pic i posted above which is not one of the prototypes.

Hello everyone. Unfortunately I could not find any data on the prototype. Does anyone have information on fuselage length and wingspan?
i would like to build a model of this exciting and beautiful plane.

Hello everyone. Unfortunately I could not find any data on the prototype. Does anyone have information on fuselage length and wingspan?
Since it was based on the Fairey Firefly, I’d go with its dimensions.

Some additional info here.

Attachments

• 138.jpg
    138.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 154.jpg
    154.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 74
  • 157.jpg
    157.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 75
  • 258.jpg
    258.jpg
    691.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 259.jpg
    259.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 78
  • 260.jpg
    260.jpg
    577.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 261.jpg
    261.jpg
    556.4 KB · Views: 99
  • 262.jpg
    262.jpg
    539.7 KB · Views: 96
  • 263.jpg
    263.jpg
    701 KB · Views: 89
  • 264.jpg
    264.jpg
    497 KB · Views: 83
  • 267.jpg
    267.jpg
    690.5 KB · Views: 90
Thanks!
Then the dimensions on the drawing from 1988 are about right. It would not have become a small fighter.....

Wow, the fuselage (though more specifically the forward part) looks like a P-51s. The wings look like a Spitfires. Last but not least the tail (specifically the vertical stabilizer) looks like that of a Bf-109. This is a prototype with a lot of inspiration!

Wow, the fuselage (though more specifically the forward part) looks like a P-51s. The wings look like a Spitfires. Last but not least the tail (specifically the vertical stabilizer) looks like that of a Bf-109. This is a prototype with a lot of inspiration!
Again, like the Fairey Firefly.

Again, like the Fairey Firefly.

They don't scale terribly well, though.

In my knocked-together comparison, I matched spinner diameters and then lined them up along the leading edges. It would seem that the Saab was a considerably smaller machine than the Fairey.

Attachments

• Saab-L27-Firefly-I.jpg
    Saab-L27-Firefly-I.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 67
When looking for suitable parts to build the Saab L27/J27, I found out that the wings of the P47 and tail parts fit well with a few changes. The wings of the Hawker Tempest also fit from the outline, but have a gull wing. Even the control surfaces (of the P47 wings) are laid out similarly.
k-IMG_0586.JPG