Register here

Author Topic: Notre Dame Fire  (Read 566 times)

Offline fredymac

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Notre Dame Fire
« on: April 15, 2019, 11:04:22 am »
Looks bad.  Roof may have fallen in already.

Offline fightingirish

Re: Notre Dame Fire
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 12:23:58 pm »
 :(
But I have hope, that Notre Dame will be rebuilt in the next 10-15 years. Just as like the Church of Our Lady (Frauenkirche), a Lutheran church in Dresden, Germany.
Slán,
fightingirish

Slán ist an Irish Gaelic word for Goodbye.  :)

McDonnell Douglas Model 225 painting by "The Artist" Michael Burke (Tavush) 2018, found at deviantart.com and at Secret Projects Forum » Research Topics » User Artwork » McDonnell Douglas Model 225 Painting

Offline Grey Havoc

• The path not taken.
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 01:09:59 pm »
There are dark suspicions that this is the latest in a spate of church arsons across France. Understandably the French government are currently proclaiming (a bit too ardently) that this is an accident connected to ongoing renovations.
The sole imperative of a government, once instituted, is to survive.

Offline galgot

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 02:16:46 pm »
There are dark suspicions that this is the latest in a spate of church arsons across France. Understandably the French government are currently proclaiming (a bit too ardently) that this is an accident connected to ongoing renovations.

That surprise me very much. I'm French , living in France, and I almost never hear about damage been done to churches on the news... ?!
I've gooogled the sentence "spate of church arsons across France", indeed it gives me a lot pages in english (US?) about this happening...
But then I gooogled the same translated "série d'incendies religieux à travers la France", gives almost nothing... WTF, US jurnos living in the US knows better about what happening in France  ?

Anyway, it can be anything of course... But I think it's a bit fast to point at a criminal act before anything.
But I suppose it suits the view of some of how France is nowadays ... ::)

Thks for the support and nice words.

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
    • Aerospace Projects Review
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 05:24:55 pm »

But then I gooogled the same translated "série d'incendies religieux à travers la France", gives almost nothing... WTF, US jurnos living in the US knows better about what happening in France  ?

That would not be surprising. Many times British news outlets have better reporting about what's going on in the US than US outlets. Often US outlets have *vastly* better news coverage of foreign nations (Canada, Australia and New Zealand come to mind) because the US allows the press to report on *everything* while other nations have news blackouts on, say, ongoing criminal investigations and trials. And just in general it's often a good idea to read what outsiders are writing when it comes to events that are "sensitive" internally, because the outsider doesn't have a dog in that fight, or isn't afraid of getting fired or firebombed.

As to church arson in France here's this from a month ago:

https://www.breitbart.com/faith/2019/03/20/twelve-french-churches-attacked-vandalized-in-one-week/

Were I a French fire investigator I would certainly keep that in mind when poking through the ashes of Notre Dame.
Aerospace Projects Review

And so the endless circle of life comes to an end, meaningless and grim. Why did they live, and why did they die? No reason. Two hundred million years of evolution snuffed out, for in the end Nature is horrific and teaches us nothing

Offline Grey Havoc

• The path not taken.
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 05:29:41 pm »
Fortunately the damage may not be quite as bad as initially feared, but it is still bad enough.
The sole imperative of a government, once instituted, is to survive.

Offline JeffB

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 06:11:35 pm »
Quote from: OrionBlamBlam

https://www.breitbart.com/faith/2019/03/20/twelve-french-churches-attacked-vandalized-in-one-week/

Were I a French fire investigator I would certainly keep that in mind when poking through the ashes of Notre Dame.

Brietbart!? Yikes. Not a very reliable source. I'd suggest finding some other sources if you're looking into this.

Quote from: Wikipedia
Breitbart News Network (known commonly as Breitbart News, Breitbart or Breitbart.com) is a far-right syndicated American news, opinion and commentary website...Its journalists are widely considered to be ideologically driven, and some of its content has been called misogynistic, xenophobic, and racist by liberals and many traditional conservatives alike. The site has published a number of lies, conspiracy theories, and intentionally misleading stories.

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 06:29:03 pm »

Brietbart!? Yikes. Not a very reliable source. I'd suggest finding some other sources if you're looking into this.

So all the French sources that are linked in the article are fraudulent?

Anyway, given how the "regular" media has covered itself in anti-glory with how they've screwed up coverage of stories such as Smollett and Covington and Trump-Russia... ain't nobody these days lookin' too good. The thing to do is to check the stories for their facts and sources. "Twelve churched go up in flames" is the sort of story that isn't as likely to be wrong as "so-and-so political types are Nazis or Jihadi supporters."

And so the endless circle of life comes to an end, meaningless and grim. Why did they live, and why did they die? No reason. Two hundred million years of evolution snuffed out, for in the end Nature is horrific and teaches us nothing

Offline Kadija_Man

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 07:32:14 pm »

That would not be surprising. Many times British news outlets have better reporting about what's going on in the US than US outlets. Often US outlets have *vastly* better news coverage of foreign nations (Canada, Australia and New Zealand come to mind) because the US allows the press to report on *everything* while other nations have news blackouts on, say, ongoing criminal investigations and trials. And just in general it's often a good idea to read what outsiders are writing when it comes to events that are "sensitive" internally, because the outsider doesn't have a dog in that fight, or isn't afraid of getting fired or firebombed.

Brietbart?  Not worth even wrapping yesterday's garbage in, IMO.  They have been caught lying so often about Muslims in Europe that it is just pure "fake news" to quote el Presidente.   Did you read about the supposed torching of the "oldest church in Europe" in Germany by Muslims?   Pure and utter fantasy.  Same for the supposed "no-go areas" in the UK and France.  Total rubbish.    ::) ::)

Offline martinbayer

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 09:28:08 pm »
I am absolutely confident that France will make this Phoenix rise from the ashes again. Vive La France!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 11:35:23 pm by martinbayer »
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

Offline galgot

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 10:15:03 pm »

Quel paquet de MERDE !... And are you going to tell us it's an "inside job" too?!
You better keep to what you are good at, drawing small scale plans ... At least they are cheap.

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 10:20:48 pm »

Quel paquet de MERDE !... And are you going to tell us it's an "inside job" too?!

People are setting fires in French Catholic churches. Unless I'm badly misinformed, the cathedral of Notre Dame is a Catholic church in France. While the last I've heard says that they're pretty sure the fire started due to an accident of some kind with the reconstruction efforts... if you are a fire inspector, you look at *everything* and don't discount anything, especially if the fire *may* be related to a number of others.

You better keep to what you are good at, drawing small scale plans ... At least they are cheap.

Meaning what? Is it your contention that the french investigators *shouldn't* consider the possibility of arson? Are you under the impression that good investigations end with the first explanation that sounds good?

Offline galgot

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 10:29:33 pm »
Meaning :
Tu va déjà te faire chier a traduire ça pour comprendre. Cela veux dire exactemet ce que cela veux dire.
Tire en les conclusions que tu veux, si tu es trop con pour comprendre je ne peux rien pour toi...

Offline martinbayer

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 10:47:07 pm »
Meaning :
Tu va déjà te faire chier a traduire ça pour comprendre. Cela veux dire exactemet ce que cela veux dire.
Tire en les conclusions que tu veux, si tu es trop con pour comprendre je ne peux rien pour toi...

Outch! Burn...

Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2019, 11:10:06 pm »
Meaning :

Ah, the old "when you don't have a rational argument, just insult the other guy" ploy.