Trying to find: 1980s (or so) book discussion nuclear proliferation

carsinamerica

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
A long time ago, I read a book -- fairly short ( < 200 pages, compact size) and meant for a general audience -- about nuclear issues. I'm hoping that my description might let someone help me find the title and thus locate it again.

I believe it was published in the 1980s, certainly later than '75 and before 1990. It had several sections. One discussed civil defense and its limitations, noting with scorn that cities were to be evacuated under attack on highways that probably wouldn't exist, and mocking the IRS's plan to resume tax collection 30 days post-attack.

Another section discussed proliferation, and spent a page or so discussing potential future proliferators. I remember it sorting non-nuclear countries into three categories: threshold states that could nuclearize in 1-2 years even if they currently showed no interest, states that could achieve nuclear capability within 5-7 years, and those that could conceivable develop nuclear weapons in 10 or so years. I remember that the threshold list included six countries, of which I recall Canada, Italy, Japan, and West Germany. Argentina and Brazil were on the middle list, and Saudi Arabia was one of a few states on the last list.

I know that's not much, but does it ring any bells to anyone? Thanks!