Register here

Author Topic: AvPro Projects  (Read 76225 times)

Offline dragon72

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
Re: AvPro Projects
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2009, 03:18:05 pm »
For those who don't know Avpro was a British company that for the most part produced pretty pictures. There was also a book - "Warplanes of the Future" which - besides an badly orientated picture and some 3-view drawings which didn't match up - was a pretty good read. As far as I know the only product they produced was a mock-up for their EXINT pod.

Since the company is now defunct I don't see any reason not to share these images. The order is the same as on the disks, so here we go.

Offline dragon72

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2009, 03:19:49 pm »
And more

Offline dragon72

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2009, 03:21:26 pm »
And more

Offline dragon72

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2009, 03:22:56 pm »
And more

Offline dragon72

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2009, 03:24:46 pm »
And more

Offline dragon72

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2009, 03:27:30 pm »
Some of these are actually very interesting. The transport plane landing is one of my favourites.

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
    • Aerospace Projects Review
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2009, 03:30:17 pm »
So just the hell *was* the story with AvPro, anyway? They cranked out a bucketload of art... but is that all they were? Or were they a serious company with serious people?
Aerospace Projects Review

And so the endless circle of life comes to an end, meaningless and grim. Why did they live, and why did they die? No reason. Two hundred million years of evolution snuffed out, for in the end Nature is horrific and teaches us nothing

Offline dragon72

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2009, 03:32:45 pm »
If anyone has any idea what is stopping the FSW attack helicopter from spinning let me know. I can't see any tail rotor or other anti-torque device.

Offline dragon72

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2009, 03:36:10 pm »
As far as I know they were a serious company. They had funding from somewhere. The ideas were good but there were no real products.

Offline dragon72

« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2009, 03:38:40 pm »
And more

Offline dragon72

« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2009, 03:40:45 pm »
Couple of pics of a really nice trainer in this lot

Offline dragon72

« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2009, 03:45:10 pm »
Nearly there

Offline dragon72

« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2009, 03:55:48 pm »
And the last two. 89 images in total. The covers carried discriptions of the images but for the most part they're pretty self explanatory. The book contains more information( http://www.amazon.com/Warplanes-Future-David-Oliver/dp/1840650850/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1237243383&sr=8-1 )

Offline Abraham Gubler

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2009, 04:39:01 pm »
If anyone has any idea what is stopping the FSW attack helicopter from spinning let me know. I can't see any tail rotor or other anti-torque device.

It could be a tip powered rotor that would not generate torque.

I don't know about the legitimacy of AvPros concepts. They all seem to be designed for asthetic appeal rather than actuall engineering. You can always tell a real engineering based concept - it is weight balanced for centre of gravity issues - unlike these tip heavy artist drawn concepts.
"There is a tendency in our planning to confuse the unfamiliar with the improbable." Thomas Schelling

Offline Woody

• CLEARANCE: Secret
  • Passionate about the advancement of technology
    • http://www.freewebs.com/ian_francis_wood/
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2009, 05:19:30 pm »
Thanks Dragon 72 - fantastic stuff. Though nothing gets old faster that yesterday's view of the future, some these represent wonderful might have beens - a bit like what would have happened if the dinosaurs hadn't become extinct.

It seams incongruous to uses oil and canvas for engineering concepts but beautiful non the less. Were all the paintings by the same artist?

Looking forward to a time when visionaries (not just corporations) become fashionable again.

Cheers, Woody

PS. what exactly is going on with that UAV, ship, flightdeck, fan thingy? Is it sucking or blowing? ;D