Typhoon to Typhoon:RAF Air Support Projects and Weapons Since 1945

gatoraptor

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Interesting-looking new Crecy/Hikoki book coming from Chris Gibson in late October:

Attachments

• Typhoon to Typhoon.jpg
    Typhoon to Typhoon.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 376
By Chris Gibson

A fascinating account of how the RAF’s ground attack capability expanded and evolved in the decades since the 1940s.

Examines in detail both the aircraft and the weapons systems deployed

Fully illustrated throughout

This book examines the RAF’s ground attack capabilities, the threats it faced, and the weapons, technologies and aircraft developed to counter those threats from the end of World War II to the present day, moving from the era of the Hawker Typhoon to that of the Eurofighter Typhoon.

Throughout the Cold War a major RAF role was to conduct low-level attacks in support of NATO ground forces. Weapons and aircraft developed to carry out this task included the Hawker Typhoon and Hunter. Harriers and Phantoms were later used.

With the increase in Warsaw Pact armoured forces and their air defence capability, new weapons and aircraft were required resulting in two roles becoming RAF specialities: counter-air and anti-armour operations. The former saw Buccaneers and Jaguars armed with nuclear weapons and Tornadoes with JP.233 to be used against airfields while the latter saw Harriers, Jaguars and Phantoms with BL.755 cluster bombs and latterly Typhoons with Brimstone, against armour.

Another role assigned to the RAF in support of its own, and the Army’s, operations was tactical reconnaissance. This equipment evolved from the wet-film cameras of the 1940s and the IR linescan systems of the 1970s to the real-time battle management systems on the Sentinel R.1 in the new century.

Thankfully the RAF never went to war in Europe but saw plenty of action around the world, where the aircraft and weapons developed to counter the Soviets were used against enemies old and new.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
ISBN: 9781902109596
Binding: hardback
Dimensions: 297mm x 210mm
Pages: 176
Photos/Illus: around 200 photos

Attachments

• 9781902109596_med.jpg
    9781902109596_med.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 413
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mbkWMEMB9s

Chris

(No, I don't write the catalogue blurb)

It is going to be a cracker of a book and will be the perfect complement to Battle Flight and Vulcan's Hammer.

Excellent!
At least one guaranteed sale here :)

Absolute guaranteed sale here.
Any idea how “hard” that release date is?

Aiming for Telford, but the day job just got busy. (see https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,31475.0.html)

Chris

CJGibson said:
Aiming for Telford, but the day job just got busy. (see https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,31475.0.html)

Chris

;D ;D ;D ;)

Pre-ordered! Love the Hawker Siddeley P.1239 on the cover.

how much is in the book (or will be) about secret aircraft and weapons projects relative to actually built aircraft and weapons?

Just as I thought I had enough space on my bookshelves this happens! You monster Chris ;D

I can't help but think that one of the two aircraft on the cover should have had a piston engine, and their positions be exchanged...

That cover will be changing...watch this space.

Chris

I guess the problem is that both typhoons are built designs, so it might not convey the breadth of content too well.

Describing the projects in the period between the Hawker Typhoon und the Eurofighter Typhoon, the title of the book could be (less misleading)
  • Between Typhoon and Typhoon - RAF Air Support Projects and Weapons Since 1945
  • Between the Typhoons - RAF Air Support Projects and Weapons Since 1945
  • From Typhoon to Typhoon - RAF Air Support Projects and Weapons Since 1945
Thoughts of someone who is not a native speaker ...

Forget between and from. Think circle.

What was that 'rule' about starting a sentence with a preposition?

Chris

Last edited:
Am sitting in hotel Internet in Berlin after days admiring Polar Bears (my other Hobby) and now this from Chris G

To use a silly reference to a film I once saw on a rainy afternoon in London in the 90s, this will be the Stiffler's Mom of all books for me!

Second version of cover looks more dynamic, IMHO.
Attackers on dark green background made good contrast to light-blue picture in the upper part.
Although, the name of book mentioned two subjects, piston- and jet-powered Typhoons: and the lower half of cover would depicts Hawker-built aircraft?

I greatly appreciated to placing on the cover artists impression of cancelled project, perhaps it could be added as 3-view, or on the back cover?

'Although, the name of book mentioned two subjects, piston- and jet-powered Typhoons:'

Does it?

Patience, patience.

Chris

'Although, the name of book mentioned two subjects, piston- and jet-powered Typhoons:'

Does it?

Patience, patience.

Chris

My opinion was based on OV-101 message.
"This book examines the RAF’s ground attack capabilities, the threats it faced, and the weapons, technologies and aircraft developed to counter those threats from the end of World War II to the present day, moving from the era of the Hawker Typhoon to that of the Eurofighter Typhoon."
Both pictures on the lower half of cover are quite interesting, so I'll wait for this book.
Good luck!

T2T has gone for layout, so it's on track for Telford.

Chris

Is that the event at the start of November?
Apologies for the slightly panicky follow-up but a copy is on order (with the evil empire of booksellers) intended as a Christmas gift and some other aviation books with a similar release date appear to have slipped into next year....

Evening all,

Typhoon to Typhoon (T2T) has gone to print and barring (insert preferred excuse for delay here) should be available in time for IPMS Telford on 9-10 November 2019. I'll be there, hopefully signing copies (if not, signing my other books) and available for a chat at my usual haunts (Geoff and Joe's What-if table/Crecy Publishing/Aviation Bookshop) or in the cafe plying Robert Hopkins with Irn Bru.

You'll pretty much know what to expect from T2T, so won't go into detail here. I hope you like it.

I've attached the contents and some example pages, but haven't posted the really good stuff, eh Joe?

Chris

Attachments

• 01_Contents.png
    01_Contents.png
    621.3 KB · Views: 151
  • 02_example_2.png
    02_example_2.png
    596.6 KB · Views: 155
  • 03_Example_3.png
    03_Example_3.png
    531.5 KB · Views: 162
  • 05_Example_5.png
    05_Example_5.png
    704.2 KB · Views: 181
  • 06_Example_6.png
    06_Example_6.png
    564.6 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Looks great, already ordered online as a gift for fellow aviation fan family member.

Evening all,

Typhoon to Typhoon (T2T) has gone to print and barring (insert preferred excuse for delay here) should be available in time for IPMS Telford on 9-10 November 2019. I'll be there, hopefully signing copies (if not, signing my other books) and available for a chat at my usual haunts (Geoff and Joe's What-if table/Crecy Publishing/Aviation Bookshop) or in the cafe plying Robert Hopkins with Irn Bru.

You'll pretty much know what to expect from T2T, so won't go into detail here. I hope you like it.

I've attached the contents and some example pages, but haven't posted the really good stuff, eh Joe?

Chris

Its actually the Project Cancelled SIG Table as we focus on actual Projects, where What-if covers more flights of fancy and the what inspires the builder although they often do projects or are certainly inspired by them which is why they love the books. We have to make the distinction because we could have people mistakenly come up and dismiss a model as just a fantasy build and we can take great pleasure in pointing out that its in-fact a genuine project, show 'em the book, tell them about this website and get them interested.

Looking forward to the book, it should provide some interesting inspiration for some more project builds and conversions

Looks a good read and been looking forward to this for a while.

On a side note I will be at Telford too; ambling around, admiring Joe and Geoff's models and trying to resist to the temptation to buy 10+ books.

SMW Floorplan

OK the floor plans are up for ScaleModelWord . The Project Cancelled SIG is Hall 2 Block 2E and Crecy is at the end of the bock (So wont be too hard for Chris to commute between stands! )

Geoff

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom