Register here

Author Topic: New Natter book  (Read 1498 times)

Offline Antonio

• Global Moderator
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: New Natter book
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2019, 12:01:42 am »
Found that Horst Lommel has a couple of monographs about the Natter

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/s//ref=mw_dp_a_s?ie=UTF8&i=books&k=Horst+Lommel

Offline newsdeskdan

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2019, 01:30:30 am »
I think there were three other pilots that flew the Natter after Siebert in powered flight (according to one source- William Green: Warplanes of the Third Reich). Hans Zubert flew four glide flights in the Natter, but no powered flights. Another pilot who supposedly flew a powered flight was a pilot named Feldwebel Ernst Hemmer, however I do not know how reliable the source (Renato Vesco) is. Maybe someone else knows the Hemmer connection. After researching works by Vesco I'm am very skeptical of his claim of Hemmer.

I grew up reading Green and Warplanes of the Third Reich was a landmark achievement in its day, but research has moved on since 1970 and I wouldn't necessarily regard what he wrote then as being entirely accurate given what we know today. Nevertheless, it seems to me that Gooden is trying to say something with that cover.

Offline newsdeskdan

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2019, 01:32:17 am »
Found that Horst Lommel has a couple of monographs about the Natter

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/s//ref=mw_dp_a_s?ie=UTF8&i=books&k=Horst+Lommel

My first reaction on seeing Gooden's new volume was 'does the world really need yet another Natter book?' But it seems that this one might be truly definitive.

Offline newsdeskdan

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2019, 03:42:38 am »
On Facebook, Robert Forsyth answered a question about the cover regarding the lack of room for the pressure suit helmet to fit under the Natter's canopy:

Robert Forsyth: "For interest, I contacted the author and the artist about your comment and they have responded as follows:"

Brett Gooden: "In the Bachem Werk plan of the B-0 Natter shown in the book, the canopy has a distinctive upward hump in it which would have accommodated the pressure helmet adequately. The artist Barry Spicer had a problem with trying to represent this matter and built a small cardboard model of the cockpit and canopy area in order to try and solve it.

Barry Spicer: "Regarding the canopy, it was the hardest part to represent given all of the curves, angles and perspective. I understand what the fellow is saying and perhaps there may be a slight inaccuracy, but I believe it is depicted reasonably well." 🤔

Offline edwest

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2019, 06:37:21 pm »
The suit being worn by the pilot on the cover also illustrates a hard material on the lower torso and legs. I am hoping for new information about German pressure suits.

Offline Dynoman

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2019, 10:53:16 am »
A link on SPF of WWII German pressure suits.

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,31459.0.html

Offline athpilot

• Fly me to the moon...
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2019, 12:06:13 pm »
Looking at the coverartwork again, something seems to be odd with the empennage. A T-Tail?

Offline newsdeskdan

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2019, 02:41:22 pm »
Looking at the coverartwork again, something seems to be odd with the empennage. A T-Tail?

As noted in Gooden's cover art query response from Facebook, it's evidently supposed to be a Ba 349 B-0, rather than the more familiar Ba 349 A-1. Presumably that had a T-tail.

Offline edwest

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2019, 07:52:41 pm »
Thank you Dynoman. In 1950, the US Air Force produced a two volume set titled German Aviation Medicine. The Draeger Company had the necessary experience. In the United States, coal miners were provided breathing equipment by the Draeger Men.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 07:57:26 pm by edwest »