Register here

Author Topic: "Ultimate battleship" designs  (Read 598 times)

Offline ceccherini

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
  • In war there is no substitute for victory
"Ultimate battleship" designs
« on: February 02, 2019, 10:25:13 am »
Hello all, I'm searching infos regarding real (albeit conceptual only) battleship projects distinguishing themselves for extraordinary caliber of main guns and/or number of main guns and displacement. I'm aware of the following, some yet briefly discussed in other topics:
-Tillman maximum: 1916/1917 series of studies concerning the largest ship compatible with the Panama Channel locks dimension. 63/80000 tons of displacement, 18 inches vertical Armour, 25/30 knots of speed and a massive armament of 12 to 24 16 inches guns (the latter in sextuple mounts) or 13/15 18 inches guns.
-Russian 1914 superbattleship proposal: a pre-WW1 study for a 45000 tons battleship armed with 16 16in guns in quadruple turrets.
-Kaneda superbattleship: an insane pre WW1 Japanese concept (probably never seriously developed) of an half million tons battleship armed with 100 16in gun in 50 twin turrets
-Fujimoto dream battleship: a 1934 Japanese study of a battleship armed with 12 20in guns in quadruple or triple turrets, 16in vertical belt and 11in horizontal belt in, reportedly, only  50000 tons.
-USN 1934 maximum battleship study: a new "Panamax" battleship study but this time with a 8 20in guns main battery.
-late H series studies: Ww2 german paper projects for an hypothetical postwar battleship incorporating war lessons and a hybrid steam turbine/diesel powerplant. Final design was H44, a 140000 ton battleship with 8 20in guns.
-1944 USN study: a concept of a battleship incorporating war lessons. 106000 tons displacement and an Iowa based hull nearly 1200" long. No data on armament and armour

Offline Tzoli

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: "Ultimate battleship" designs
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 10:50:19 am »
Kaneda's Design was probably from 1922-23 when he was the director of the Kure Naval Yard.

You can add the last IJN Battleship proposal of a battleship with 51cm cannons on 100.000tons displacement (post "Super Yamato")

But define Ultimate battleship in your thinking.

Online GWrecks

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
  • Big Wingy Thingy
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 09:15:52 pm »
-1944 USN study: a concept of a battleship incorporating war lessons. 106000 tons displacement and an Iowa based hull nearly 1200" long. No data on armament and armour

Huh, never heard of this one. Is it perhaps related to BB65-8? Also, I'm reminded of how Tzoli mentioned how Illinois I think (?) would've had a much changed secondary battery placement when completed (Which reminds me more of a cruiser), so I'm thinking that might have something to do with this design too.

The Russian 16-gun battleship is also new to me.

Also, not really a battleship, but Incomparable would've been pretty big IIRC. Makes me wonder if Fisher ever proposed a standard dreadnought version. Early designs for the Lexington class were also very...long, but only armed with eight 14" guns I believe?

I'm probably not being coherent here...
↑↑↓↓LRLRBA

Offline Tzoli

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 07:36:08 am »
That is more of a study to see what is required for a ship to be "unsinkable" with torpedoes hence the large tonnage which was mostly associated with the underwater defence system with the longer hull required to maintain the speed of the Iowas.

The Russian 4x4 16" battleship was the ultimate battleship for the Baltic and Black Sea fleets:
http://www.gwpda.org/naval/irn16bb.htm