193.7 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
From Aerophile 1934.

Attachments

• 2-12-1934.png
    2-12-1934.png
    227.9 KB · Views: 47
What was this ?,

In 1937, it seems that Georges Botali started the construction of a new light aircraft in a factory in Courbevoie.

TU 171.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    58 KB · Views: 37
What was this ?,

In 1937, it seems that Georges Botali started the construction of a new light aircraft in a factory in Courbevoie.

This is a reference to the Type 10 biplane designed by Botali in 1935 for the then-new société Aviana. Obviously construction was underway in 1937 but I'm not sure when the prototype Type 10 was completed. (The Type 10 wasn't registered until Dec 1938 - as FW-007/F-AROQ.)

The Aviana biplane wasn't selected as an Aviation Populaire type so no production was undertaken at the société Aviana plant in Courbevoie (Hauts-de-Seine, just outside of Paris).

BTW: In some sources, the Aviana Type 10 is attributed to a "Gaston Botali". I can only find one other online reference to Gaston Botali (as a diesel engine designer). On names ... I've also seen Botali (mis)listed as George rather than Georges.

Aviana 10 was selected by the Air Ministry for testing for "Sections de l'Aviation Populaire".
That's "People's Aviation Platoons". Cute and bittersweet vintage bolshevist rhetoric, such was the parlance of Front Popu, the alliance of SFIO (French Section of the Workers' International) and PCF (Parti Communiste Français) which came to power in 1936.

Unfortunately my files don't reference the newspaper this article comes from. Any clues welcome

Attachments

• Aviana 10 aka Botali-Mandelli Biplan.jpg
    Aviana 10 aka Botali-Mandelli Biplan.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 32
Aviana 10 was selected by the Air Ministry for testing for "Sections de l'Aviation Populaire".
That's "People's Aviation Platoons". Cute and bittersweet vintage bolshevist rhetoric, such was the parlance of Front Popu, the alliance of SFIO (French Section of the Workers' International) and PCF (Parti Communiste Français) which came to power in 1936.

Unfortunately my files don't reference the newspaper this article comes from. Any clues welcome
It's from Les Ailes.

What was this ?,

TU 171.
Are you sure about this my dears ?,but why they didn't mention its name ?.

- TU 136

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    250.4 KB · Views: 38
Are you sure about this my dears ?,but why they didn't mention its name ?.
This is all about the Aviana-10, which apparently was designed in 35 or before, and its selection for Sections de l'Aviation Populaire in 37. Then certified by CEMA's testing in 38 and isued final reg F-AROQ in December 38. Then abandoned when it didn't win the SAP contract, and finally burnt by the nazis after the invasion.

From the evidence, Botali did not "start a new light aircraft" in 37, but found an investor to finance submitting a prototype to the Aviation Populaire contest. This was done under a new company called Aviana, and was unsuccessful. Basically that failure was the end of it.