Georges Valette GAV-II Postal Transport Project of 1945

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
From Ailes 3/1945,

here is a twin engined mid-wing medium postal transport airplane Project,designed
by Georges Valette and called GAV-II Austral.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    277.2 KB · Views: 222
  • 2.png
    2.png
    255.4 KB · Views: 195
  • 3.png
    3.png
    218.6 KB · Views: 165
As the French text says, it was for the "colonies and relations with the Empire."

dan_inbox said:
As the French text says, it was for the "colonies and relations with the Empire."

English man,thank you my dear Dan.

With a name like Georges Vallete and the article appearing in a French magazine, I think it is more likely he was a Frenchman or, at a stretch, Belgian. One French expression for France's overseas territories was l’empire colonial français.

Oh my God,that's completely new,thank you my dear Arjen.

You meant that,it was a military aircraft ?.

- And that text in TU,I don't understand it,
It is then a high-wing aircraft whose baggage compartment would be installed under the floor and accessible in flight.
A high wing version or what ?.

Attachments

• 3.png
    3.png
    38.5 KB · Views: 30
You meant that,it was a military aircraft ?
For Georges Valette's GAV-II Austral, nothing hints at military. It says clearly "transport postal".
"Colonies and and relations with the Empire" means that it wasn't meant for service within Metropolitan France, nor transatlantic. It was meant for postal transport between France and the colonies, and within the colonies.
BTW: Austral is a now-obsolescent synonym of "Southern". No particular link to Australia.
Of course, seen from metropolitan France, the colonial empire of 1945 was very much in the South: Africa, Indochina and Pacific islands.

It is then a high-wing aircraft whose baggage compartment would be installed under the floor and accessible in flight.
A high wing version or what ?
This text is from a different publication. How is it related to GAV-II ?

You meant that,it was a military aircraft ?
For Georges Valette's GAV-II Austral, nothing hints at military. It says clearly "transport postal".
"Colonies and and relations with the Empire" means that it wasn't meant for service within Metropolitan France, nor transatlantic. It was meant for postal transport between France and the colonies, and within the colonies.
BTW: Austral is a now-obsolescent synonym of "Southern". No particular link to Australia.
Of course, seen from metropolitan France, the colonial empire of 1945 was very much in the South: Africa, Indochina and Pacific islands.

A high wing version or what ?
This text is from a different publication. How is it related to GAV-II ?
Thank you my dear Dan,

but the text is for it,please see.

Attachments

• IMG_3075.JPG
    IMG_3075.JPG
    688.9 KB · Views: 28
The text says that the postal transport is optimized for the regulation 30-kg bags of mail.
A variant was considered for 10-passenger transport, with a high wing and a baggage compartment below the floor.

Prsumably the postal variant has the wing spars going through the fuselage, to which mail bags won't object, but Mr Valette realized that for PAX you need an unobstructed cabin.