Register here

Author Topic: concept design of luxury private submarine mega-yacht  (Read 1551 times)

Offline covert_shores

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • Research + illustration
    • COVERT SHORES
concept design of luxury private submarine mega-yacht
« on: December 15, 2018, 02:52:48 pm »
Inspired and referencing Jules Verne's Nautilus. Some interesting design features, but frivolous use of space in keeping with mega-yacht theme. In my head there'ds a smaller 70 meter version, possibly with gas turbine instead of the diesel generators. http://www.hisutton.com/Nautilus-2020_Luxury_Submarine.html
COVERT SHORES: www.hisutton.com

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
    • Aerospace Projects Review
Re: concept design of luxury private submarine mega-yacht
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 05:05:12 pm »
Looks a lot like the Phoenix 1000 luxury yacht/submarine from a decade ago.

Aerospace Projects Review

And so the endless circle of life comes to an end, meaningless and grim. Why did they live, and why did they die? No reason. Two hundred million years of evolution snuffed out, for in the end Nature is horrific and teaches us nothing

Offline covert_shores

• COVERT SHORES
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 01:59:07 am »
Yeah the Phoenix 1000 was one of the designs I looked at. Would be fantastic if they'd ever found a customer.

Nautilus-2020 is a much more ambitious design though, much more of a proper submarine with long range autonomy.

Italian firm Migaloo are the ones to watch for OOT mega-yacht submarine concepts. See attached.

Offline Arjen

• It's turtles all the way down
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 02:23:59 am »
I'm not sure a teardrop hull is the best choice for a submarine yacht, With all the outside amenities, the Italian concepts are set up to spend a lot of their time on the surface. From what I have read, a teardrop hull is more prone to rolling when surfaced - bad news for a luxury vehicle.
Having said that: I love Nautilus revisited  :)
<edit> It has a pipe organ! Awesome!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 02:35:35 am by Arjen »

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 02:44:42 am »
What the world needs  is a submersible yacht that *looks* like an entirely conventional yacht when surfaced. Just the thing for sailing around Somalia: wait for the pirates to board then *BLOOP* down you go, taking them to Davy Jones Locker.

And so the endless circle of life comes to an end, meaningless and grim. Why did they live, and why did they die? No reason. Two hundred million years of evolution snuffed out, for in the end Nature is horrific and teaches us nothing

Offline covert_shores

• COVERT SHORES
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 03:42:16 am »
Arjen, yes that's why I compromised on the wave cutting upper bow. There would be bilge keels to slightly reduce roll on the surface, but it's designed for underwater travel. Especially in heavy seas, just submerge. Possibly it could semi-plane in surface mode, with the bow high and the pumpjets angled to be horizontal.

Orionblamblam, interesting idea. Challenge is that, generally speaking, the better it is above the waves, the worse it is under the waves. Pressure hulls have to be certain shapes, and heavily constructed. So most of superstructure would have to be flooded when submerged. So no state rooms or ballrooms up there.

I was going to go for more of a yacht shape with sadle tanks and larger superstructure but Verne's nautilus was too much of an influence. :)

Offline covert_shores

• COVERT SHORES
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 09:47:14 am »
Added a 70 meter version. Crew accommodation, stores and aller rooms eliminated. Main compromise is that LOX comes inboard to pressure hull and snort mast removed. Ok design but I like the bigger one.

Offline Avimimus

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 11:29:03 am »
I kindof feel like it needs a hardened prow for ramming merchant ships... because whoever is going to put a few hundred million into a submersible yacht probably has captain Nemo fantasies.  ;)

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 12:10:50 pm »

Orionblamblam, interesting idea. Challenge is that, generally speaking, the better it is above the waves, the worse it is under the waves. Pressure hulls have to be certain shapes, and heavily constructed. So most of superstructure would have to be flooded when submerged. So no state rooms or ballrooms up there.

Sure. What I'm suggesting is to take your yacht-sub and build a mock-yacht on top of it. Sail it around places where scumbags go pirating, wait for them to board, and then the rich guy in the sub starts to have fun. The whole point of a yacht is enjoyment; what would be more enjoyable for the sort of person who can afford a yacht-sub (oil sheiks, Russian oligarchs, tech bros, etc.) than the ability to wreak horrible vengeance upon the kind of person that most of the planetary population would have no problem with horrible vengeance being wreaked upon?

Basically what I suggest is a "bait car." But one that not only locks the door, but ducts the exhaust into the cabin, self-drives to the dump and  tosses the car thieves onto the pile. Ten million views on YouTube!

Offline Avimimus

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 12:19:52 pm »
Out of curiosity... Do you assume everyone has these fantasies about killing strangers?

Online sferrin

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 12:41:16 pm »
Out of curiosity... Do you assume everyone has these fantasies about killing strangers?

Do you assume nobody does?  I can tell you, when I saw Robocop in the theater back in the day, when the would-be auto thief got 60,000 volts applied the audience wasn't horrified, they laughed.
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline Arjen

• It's turtles all the way down
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 01:11:35 pm »
I'm suddenly remembering a line from a Fawlty Towers episode - "Enough material here for a [psychiatrists'] convention"

Online sferrin

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2018, 01:17:38 pm »
I'm suddenly remembering a line from a Fawlty Towers episode - "Enough material here for a [psychiatrists'] convention"

There is now.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 01:20:01 pm by sferrin »
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Online SpudmanWP

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2018, 01:43:13 pm »
Pirate hunting has a long history going back hundreds of years.  Scum of the earth does not go away on it's own and must scrubbed with great force and determination.
WE4-45-1-08     OMHIWDMB
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2018, 03:41:59 pm »

Your average schmoe is not going to have the funds to buy a ginormous submarine. What kind of person would? There would be those who inherit wealth, of course... but there would also be those who make their own billions. And the kind of person who becomes a billionaire by their own effort are almost universally *not* truly pacifistic. One way or another they tend to have a "killer instinct."  So it's best to have good outlets for that instinct for these people. And a "bait yacht" seems like a good, productive, socially acceptable - nay, praiseworthy - outlet.

And one cannot discuss the tpic of "fantasies about killing strangers" without pointing out that in the current political climate there are a *large* number of people who think it praiseworthy to physically assault other people merely for their political views. T