Luftwaffe: Secret Project Profiles/Dan Sharp & Daniel Uhr

steelpillow

Not coming back. Send me a PM.
Top Contributor
Reaction score

Yep, looks like we need a new thread, folks!

Luftwaffe: Secret Project Profiles

Luftwaffe: Secret Project Profiles features more than 200 highly-detailed full colour profiles of jet-propelled aircraft designs produced in Nazi Germany during the Second World War.

Renowned aviation artist Daniel Uhr has brought the original German construction sketches and three-views to life like never before - offering a whole new perspective on images previously only seen as black and white line drawings.

Accompanying Daniel’s artworks is a full description of the competitions and requirements which produced such a huge number of innovative and unusual designs during the war, as well as descriptions of the designs themselves, written by historian Dan Sharp - author of the acclaimed Luftwaffe: Secret series - and based on the latest historical research.

Offering a host of different colour schemes and detailed notes, this is indispensable reading for enthusiasts and modellers alike.

Ordered!

Thanks steelpillow!
I only saw this image in a google-search, but did not manage somehow to find it at classicmagazines...

You're behind me in the queue, though. ;)

They also have RAF: Secret Jets so I got a copy of that while I was at it. :)

such a list should be made to make it easier to find

List of reference books by period or manufacturer: ----

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19300.0.html

https://www.classicmagazines.co.uk/product/5557/bookazine-luftwaffe-secret-project-profiles

Luftwaffe: Secret Project Profiles features more than 200 highly-detailed full colour profiles of jet-propelled aircraft designs produced in Nazi Germany during the Second World War.
Renowned aviation artist Daniel Uhr has brought the original German construction sketches and three-views to life like never before - offering a whole new perspective on images previously only seen as black and white line drawings.
Accompanying Daniel’s artworks is a full description of the competitions and requirements which produced such a huge number of innovative and unusual designs during the war, as well as descriptions of the designs themselves, written by historian Dan Sharp - author of the acclaimed Luftwaffe: Secret series - and based on the latest historical research.
Offering a host of different colour schemes and detailed notes, this is indispensible reading for enthusiasts and modellers alike.

I really enjoyed working with Daniel on this one. He spent countless hours creating all these beautiful new profile artworks and the end result is stunning!

Attachments

• Luftwaffe Secret Project Profiles.jpg
    Luftwaffe Secret Project Profiles.jpg
    786.4 KB · Views: 864
  • Luftwaffe Secret Project Profiles back.jpg
    Luftwaffe Secret Project Profiles back.jpg
    642.6 KB · Views: 829
My copy of Luftwaffe Secret Project Profiles arrived today.

Well, it's certainly full of large and colourful side profiles of secret German aircraft projects. Each chapter has a full-colour three-view as well. It is definitely impressive on a first look. But I am not sure that it is as "indispensable reading for enthusiasts and modellers alike" as the back cover claims.

There is a useful historical overview, written to Dan Shapr's usual high standards and illustrated by a selection of original design drawings. The profiles too are accompanied by handy summaries. It brings together Dan's researches over several previous volumes in the series, and as such is very handy. But much detail is lost in the summarising and, if you already have those previous volumes, I would hardly call it "indispensible" to the enthusiast. The profiles are reproduced too large to fit enough text round them for that to happen.

Turning to the profiles, they are very nice and top marks to Daniel Uhr - as far as they go. But for the modeller there are only a few 3-views, one per chapter, which means that the information needed for an accurate model is missing. One has to work from those earlier volumes and/or take an expensive limited-edition resin kit on trust. The colours and markings are, of course, imaginative renderings of what might have been. Nevertheless they are not wildly improbable, they lend a delightful air of authenticity to the brew. It is a fine source book of ideas but the modeller is frankly better off with those previous volumes, which contained a wealth of drawings and physical data to work from.

Nevertheless, as a historically up-to-date and attractive overview of the weird-and-wonderfulness of German WWII jet projects, it cannot be beaten. It is a great way in to the subject, an ideal topic for a bookazine, and I wish it all success.

newsdeskdan said:
Offering a host of different colour schemes and detailed notes, this is indispensible reading for enthusiasts and modellers alike.

I really enjoyed working with Daniel on this one. He spent countless hours creating all these beautiful new profile artworks and the end result is stunning!

Thank you very much!!! Was my pleasure :)
I can tell you the same, was great too to do this work with you!

Ordered both the ebook and the hardcopy. The electronic one is great reading and I look forward to having a hard copy one, too. A "Great Work!" to both of you involved in it. "Please, Sir, can I have another?"

elmayerle said:
Ordered both the ebook and the hardcopy. The electronic one is great reading and I look forward to having a hard copy one, too. A "Great Work!" to both of you involved in it. "Please, Sir, can I have another?"

Thank you very much! :)

Wurger asked about the teeny tiny images on the Preface page, which have become a bit of a Luftwaffe: Secret tradition. They depict, clockwise from top left:

DVL fighter with 2 x BMW 112 dated February 1935
Arado E 380-2 mit BMW 323 R2
Ha 141 V1 rudder and flap controls
BV 144 mockup built in Germany
Me 262 mit BMW 003 R dated May 1944
Ju 287 with bubble canopy and sold nose
Messerschmitt Enzian spatial trajectory illustration
Focke-Wulf flying wing jet night fighter
BV 40 baubeschreibung intro page
Arado turret design for 2 x 2cm Rh. C30
Ta 152 E-1 wing design
Ta 183 tail fin design
He 162 wind tunnel model
Horten bros. flying wing illustrative sketch produced in crayon during interrogation
Siebel patent for glide bomb
Tail comparison between Me 209, Mustang, Airacobra and Vultee Vanguard
Arado Jaeger mit Heinkel TL design dated 10.3.43

newsdeskdan said:

That FW flying wing is a new discovery right? And is the 209 the later 109 reworking or is it the earlier design?

sienar said:
newsdeskdan said:

That FW flying wing is a new discovery right? And is the 209 the later 109 reworking or is it the earlier design?

The flying wing is a new, and frankly rather bizarre-looking, discovery. The 209 is the later version. It is Messerschmitt drawing number III/465 of May 22, 1943, signed by 'Forster'. The image printed is a cropped version of the full drawing - the more bulbous tail comparison on the far right is from the Hawker Typhoon. Here's a slightly bigger version of the image.

Attachments

• III-465.jpg
    III-465.jpg
    778.7 KB · Views: 571
Great stuff just at the preface, as usual. Thanks for fuelling this forum, Dan!

Messerschmitt Enzian trajectory illustration biggerized with the cover and frontispiece of the document it comes from.

Attachments

• Enzian frontispiece.jpg
    Enzian frontispiece.jpg
    487.4 KB · Views: 409
  • Enzian cover.jpg
    Enzian cover.jpg
    483.5 KB · Views: 469
  • Enzian trajectory.jpg
    Enzian trajectory.jpg
    433.7 KB · Views: 510
Just picked up mine today at Barnes & Noble and have found it very enjoyable. But I believe there's a caption missing on page 51.

Hardcopy showed up this past Friday in my local, Fort Worth, Barnes & Noble. Despite having one coming from England, I bought one to encourage them to stock more of Dan's efforts in the future.

Zizi6785 said:
gatoraptor said:
But I believe there's a caption missing on page 51.

Yes, it is FW 031 0239/10

You're right - the caption is missing but the three-view is indeed of the Focke-Wulf Schwanzloser Bomber mit 2 HeS 109-11, drawing number 0310 239-10, dated February 16, 1944.

newsdeskdan said:
Zizi6785 said:
gatoraptor said:
But I believe there's a caption missing on page 51.

Yes, it is FW 031 0239/10

You're right - the caption is missing but the three-view is indeed of the Focke-Wulf Schwanzloser Bomber mit 2 HeS 109-11, drawing number 0310 239-10, dated February 16, 1944.

Thanks, Dan. I'll make a copy of that and stick it in the book.

I got mine some days ago. Shipment to Germany took about 8 weeks! :( So I hope that is not a foretaste of Brexit. Anyway, this bookazine is fantastic and a excellent supplement to the other Luftwaffe Secret Projects volumes. Please keep the excellent work. :)
If I may have a wish for future volumes: I would love to learn more about Hütter projects (e.g. Ostmark). And I know, Dan, you said, that you don´t do a Hü-211 for certain reasons, but please... I also would like to read about the Junkers projects; even the lesser knwon Ju-290 B, C and E. I never saw an official drawing of them.
Cheers and hugs, Athpilot

athpilot said:
I got mine some days ago. Shipment to Germany took about 8 weeks! :( So I hope that is not a foretaste of Brexit. Anyway, this bookazine is fantastic and a excellent supplement to the other Luftwaffe Secret Projects volumes. Please keep the excellent work. :)
If I may have a wish for future volumes: I would love to learn more about Hütter projects (e.g. Ostmark). And I know, Dan, you said, that you don´t do a Hü-211 for certain reasons, but please... I also would like to read about the Junkers projects; even the lesser knwon Ju-290 B, C and E. I never saw an official drawing of them.

I have a few previously unknown Junkers designs for the next one, and a few known Junkers designs that I can shed some more light on. In particular, I have the EFo 11-02, EFo 11-03, EFo 11-04, EFo 11-05, EFo 11-22, EFo 12, EFo 13 and EFo 14/1.
Based on the document in which these appear, it rather seems as though projects previously given as 'EF 008', 'EF 011', 'EF 015' etc. (particularly in Nowarra) are actually EFo designs - because that's clearly how they appear in the Junkers document. On this basis, I'm not entirely sure that the EF and EFo series were actually different. It seems more likely that the EF series simply followed the numerical sequence already laid out by the EFos.
I have also discovered the four Junkers designs that competed against the Dornier P 231 (Do 335), Arado E 530, Me 109 Zw and unnamed Heinkel designs in the Schnellbomber competition. Two of these are already known but don't appear previously to have been linked to that competition (which is odd, because it's plain that this is what they were designed for) - the EF 109, EF 110, EF 111 and EF 112.

Wow,thank you my dear Dan,

most of them are new for me.

newsdeskdan said:
athpilot said:

I have a few previously unknown Junkers designs for the next one, and a few known Junkers designs that I can shed some more light on. In particular, I have the EFo 11-02, EFo 11-03, EFo 11-04, EFo 11-05, EFo 11-22, EFo 12, EFo 13 and EFo 14/1.
Based on the document in which these appear, it rather seems as though projects previously given as 'EF 008', 'EF 011', 'EF 015' etc. (particularly in Nowarra) are actually EFo designs - because that's clearly how they appear in the Junkers document. On this basis, I'm not entirely sure that the EF and EFo series were actually different. It seems more likely that the EF series simply followed the numerical sequence already laid out by the EFos.
I have also discovered the four Junkers designs that competed against the Dornier P 231 (Do 335), Arado E 530, Me 109 Zw and unnamed Heinkel designs in the Schnellbomber competition. Two of these are already known but don't appear previously to have been linked to that competition (which is odd, because it's plain that this is what they were designed for) - the EF 109, EF 110, EF 111 and EF 112.

Hi! That is fantastic. Thanks for the informations. Nearly half of the mentioned designs are unknown to me. Can you include it in a future publication?
Warm regards!

athpilot said:
newsdeskdan said:
athpilot said:

Hi! That is fantastic. Thanks for the informations. Nearly half of the mentioned designs are unknown to me. Can you include it in a future publication?
Warm regards!

I was certainly planning to include the Junkers Schnellbomber designs. I had actually forgotten about the EFo designs until I saw your post about Junkers projects, now I plan to include those too.

newsdeskdan said:
athpilot said:
newsdeskdan said:
athpilot said:

Warm regards!

I was certainly planning to include the Junkers Schnellbomber designs. I had actually forgotten about the EFo designs until I saw your post about Junkers projects, now I plan to include those too.

Great! I look forward to the next volume... B)

Any chance of a poster with all of these to a constant scale? That would look superb.

elmayerle said:
Any chance of a poster with all of these to a constant scale? That would look superb.

Like the Flugzeug Classic one? No plans at present but I like the idea. It'd need to be a fairly large poster or the profiles would need to be used fairly small.

sienar said:
Have you ever uncovered anything on the Ef 123?

Nothing new, no. It's extremely difficult to find anything from Junkers that isn't already known.

It's extremely difficult to find anything from Junkers that isn't already known

What about the Junkers Ju 85? Do you have sketches?

Wurger said:
It's extremely difficult to find anything from Junkers that isn't already known

What about the Junkers Ju 85? Do you have sketches?

No, sorry, just the familiar wind tunnel model and mock-up photos. There are 26 different photos of the mock-up that I'm aware of. Here are a few, along with the wind tunnel model that you've no doubt seen elsewhere in cropped form.

Attachments

• Ju 85 1.jpg
    Ju 85 1.jpg
    740.5 KB · Views: 361
  • Ju 85 2.jpg
    Ju 85 2.jpg
    765.4 KB · Views: 330
  • Ju 85 3.jpg
    Ju 85 3.jpg
    759.9 KB · Views: 310
No, sorry, just the familiar wind tunnel model and mock-up photos. There are 26 different photos of the mock-up that I'm aware of. Here are a few, along with the wind tunnel model that you've no doubt seen elsewhere in cropped form.
Thanks, you are right, I only knew the wind tunnel model in cropped form! I didn`t know, though, about photos of the inside as the radio station. The "kampfkopf" cabin and the stepped one are known. Nowarra published a side view, but that was just a Ju88 with twin fins. The real Ju85 was something (much) bigger.
Please see:

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4795.msg199165.html#msg199165

Reply #22

Wurger said:
Thanks, you are right, I only knew the wind tunnel model in cropped form! I didn`t know, though, about photos of the inside as the radio station. The "kampfkopf" cabin and the stepped one are known. Nowarra published a side view, but that was just a Ju88 with twin fins. The real Ju85 was something (much) bigger.
Please see:

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4795.msg199165.html#msg199165

Reply #22

Here are a few more. Forward views of the glass nose, then what appear to be two more different noses, with glass at the front and a large canopy on top - a little closer to the arrangement shown in the wind tunnel model.

Attachments

• Ju 85 4.jpg
    Ju 85 4.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 286
  • Ju 85 5.jpg
    Ju 85 5.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 275
I didn`t know about these two different nose configurations. That makes at least four(4) nose versions! Can you please post more photos? I would dare to ask Jemiba to "update" his great profiles on this bird.