Investigators ponder UK jets' encounter with high-speed objects

Flyaway

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Unusual to see something like this reported on a website such as Flight Global.

Investigators are probing the origin of high-speed objects encountered by two UK transatlantic flights as they approach south-west Ireland on 9 November.

Voice communications for high-altitude traffic overseen by Shannon show the sighting was reported by crews of at least two aircraft, provisionally identified as a British Airways Boeing 787-8, bound for London Heathrow, and a Virgin Atlantic Boeing 747-400 heading for Manchester.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/investigators-ponder-uk-jets-encounter-with-high-sp-453613/

Well that explains the red light. Sorted.

Attachments

• Navigation light.jpeg
    Navigation light.jpeg
    24.4 KB · Views: 196
So is this drivel going to get moved to the bar or might there be any useful discussion?

Dew said:
So is this drivel going to get moved to the bar or might there be any useful discussion?

As I said in my OP I only posted the story because it was reported in Flight Global rather than some tabloid newspaper.

Yes and the recording is very interesting. Almost as interesting as the response you guys have (on a forum that discusses secret aviation projects) to the story.

I would like to know what was being said in the various cockpits, because the radio chatter was understandably restrained.

Also the reference an astronomical speed of Mach 2 seems weird given the nature of the people judging the relative speed.

mrmalaya said:
Also the reference an astronomical speed of Mach 2 seems weird given the nature of the people judging the relative speed.

Mach 2 is hardly "astronomical". If it's even real my guess would be military aircraft in afterburner. And no, pilots don't have speed-guns for eyeballs so the first person who says, "not many aircraft can go Mach 2", the speed could be wrong and that could be closing/crossing rate.

I can't vouch for 6 AM, but on the afternoon of the 9th there was at least one Saudi Tornado up from Warton and we could hear fast jets at work that were offshore, so stuff was flying around.

Was 'astronomical' a quote or journo's wording?

As MrMalaya says, the CVR should be interesting.

Chris

sferrin said:
mrmalaya said:

Mach 2 is hardly "astronomical". If it's even real my guess would be military aircraft in afterburner. And no, pilots don't have speed-guns for eyeballs so the first person who says, "not many aircraft can go Mach 2", the speed could be wrong and that could be closing/crossing rate.

Posting the link to this old article by James Oberg seems appropriate here.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/38852385/ns/technology_and_science-space/t/ufo-book-based-questionable-foundation/#.Wrzxf5ch3y0

I don't understand how professional trained pilots would get excited over 2 red lights at a higher altitude
That are going faster than .85M it would seem they would report it as such a higher
Speed military aircraft.
However if we're not getting a full picture of what they saw. Remember what the veteran JAL
Pilot reported (and was grounded for it) a mile wide acorn shaped object off his wing.
Or what the super hornet pilot Fravor reported a 40 ft white egg shaped object that easily out turned
And out climbed his f-18.
But the more mundane explanation could also be interesting. Russia fly the Bear bomber near the UK. Why not two su-57 test flight?

Perhaps the Russians finally got that plasma stealth concept working outside of a laboratory?

kcran567 said:
I don't understand how professional trained pilots would get excited over 2 red lights at a higher altitude
That are going faster than .85M it would seem they would report it as such a higher
Speed military aircraft.
However if we're not getting a full picture of what they saw. Remember what the veteran JAL
Pilot reported (and was grounded for it) a mile wide acorn shaped object off his wing.
Or what the super hornet pilot Fravor reported a 40 ft white egg shaped object that easily out turned
And out climbed his f-18.
But the more mundane explanation could also be interesting. Russia fly the Bear bomber near the UK. Why not two su-57 test flight?

You will not find a anyone here to engage in intelligent conversation on this ssubject. After all, there isn't much intelligent conversation here at all.

Back
Top Bottom