Register here

Author Topic: HNoMS Helge Ingstad Collision  (Read 953 times)

Offline Hood

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
HNoMS Helge Ingstad Collision
« on: November 08, 2018, 05:06:30 am »
The Norwegian frigate HNoMS Helge Ingstad has collided with an oil tanker in the Hjeltefjord near Bergen. The cause of the collision is unknown.
The frigate appears to be seriously damaged with a severe gash in the starboard side of the hull and it was beached in an attempt to prevent it sinking, but during the day the ship has continued to list and is now almost on its side.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46136564

Offline TomS

Re: HNoMS Helge Ingstad Collision
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 07:37:31 am »
Ouch.  That's pretty horrible to watch.  Glad there were so few injuries.

Offline Moose

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 08:50:32 am »
Good to hear there were no fatalities, hope the wounded were not severely so.

Norwegian report with video of her going down.

I wonder, were the tugs attempting to keep her upright and on the rocks/bar she was sitting on but the flooding just rolled her off? Or were they trying to pull her off before the flooding was contained, and as soon as she came off she went down?

Offline TomS

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 09:34:43 pm »
I think they were actually pushing her further onto the bar, then she rolled once she was beached higher.

Offline Arjen

• It's turtles all the way down
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 11:54:09 pm »

Offline Moose

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 06:58:41 am »
I think they were actually pushing her further onto the bar, then she rolled once she was beached higher.
Could well have been. Sadly I it seems likely that the longer she's on her side, the more likely a write-off becomes.

Offline TomS

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 07:32:22 am »
Could well have been. Sadly I it seems likely that the longer she's on her side, the more likely a write-off becomes.

Yeah, I think at this point, she's pretty much a constructive total loss.  Just getting the hull straightened out and patched up would be a huge undertaking.

Fortunately, a lot of the electronics look to be dry, so maybe she'll be a useful source of spares for the surviving ships?

Offline Moose

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 03:02:24 pm »

Yeah, I think at this point, she's pretty much a constructive total loss.  Just getting the hull straightened out and patched up would be a huge undertaking.

Fortunately, a lot of the electronics look to be dry, so maybe she'll be a useful source of spares for the surviving ships?
Quite possible. I've seen a few Norwegians griping on other sites that they were having trouble manning all their frigates anyway.

Offline GTX

• All hail the God of Frustration!!!
    • Beyond The Sprues

Offline Foo Fighter

• I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2018, 03:34:36 pm »
From the view on that video it LOOKS like the tugs pushed her too far over just before the rate of settling increased.

Offline Moose

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2018, 07:15:57 pm »
Ooof, she's further under now. Looks like the entire starboard side up to the base of the mast, and it's worse aft.

https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/1061240119569645574?s=19

A lot of potentially useful spares are submerged, her entire CiC, drivetrain, and most of her weapons might be done for. The SPYs are still dry at least.

Offline TomS

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2018, 07:50:50 pm »
Makes me sick to see her like that.  Looks like the only armament that hasn't gone swimming is the four NSM on the port side.  Where does the SPY-1F transmitter sit?  In the mast or lower down?

Offline Moose

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2018, 10:27:59 pm »
Makes me sick to see her like that.  Looks like the only armament that hasn't gone swimming is the four NSM on the port side.  Where does the SPY-1F transmitter sit?  In the mast or lower down?
I believe the radar room would still be high and dry in the mast, at least as of that photo. But there's a whole lot of processing power and consoles below the current water line.

https://twitter.com/Edward_Sn0wden/status/1061330788023746560
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 10:32:26 pm by Moose »

Offline TsrJoe

• CLEARANCE: Secret
...'excuse me mister, is that plane for real'...!!!

IPMS (UK) 'Project Cancelled' SIG. co,co-ordinator
IPMS (UK) 'TSR-2', 'Cold War' & 'What-if' SIG. Member