Yermolayev Yer-2 with mixed powerplant

maxmwill

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right folder to put this in, but, recently, I bought a kit of a 1/72 Yer-2. While I was waiting for it, I decided to see if I could find any more information than what I have courtesy of Bill
Gunston's book, Aircraft of the Soviet Union. I found one I can currently afford, a Russian publication. I found another one, which will be on order as soonas I have sufficient funds to spare for it.

While I cannot understand much Russian(I learned years ago that samolyet means flying machine, but that's teh extent of my self-taught Russian.

Be that as it may, I can still understand enough of the book(illustrations, photos, and figures) to be able to get an idea as to how I'll be building this kit.

However, in the book, on page 19, there is a 2 view of this with a pair of turbine engines aft of each engine. Below that is a diagram of one of the piston engines and two of the turbine engines. I'd sure like to find out more, as this might make for an interesting kit bash.

I wouldn't mind getting this translated, as the Yer-2 isn't well known here in the west, but well known in Russia. I'd like to find out more on this from the Russian perspective, mebbe even some pilot reports to see how this compares to comparable aircraft in the west.

A special place in the history of Yer-2 is occupied by its version with a combined power plant, which included M-30B diesel engines and motor-jet engines (VRDK). Work on them was completed in 1943 at CIAM under the leadership of A.I. Tolstov. The principal feature of the VRDK was the use of a piston M-30B with a propeller as the main engines at all stages of flight, and a pair of VRDK as accelerators needed to reduce runoff or short-term increase in flight speed.

In 1944, by the decision of the State Defense Committee, A. I. Tolstov was given a corresponding task, and in May of the following year, CIAM proceeded to ground tests of the E-3130 combined power plant. Their results showed that the accelerator thrust at the nominal mode was 625 kg, and the total, taking into account the work of the ACh-30B engine, was 875 kg, while the specific fuel consumption reached 3.63 kg / kgf * h, which was almost three times higher than similar parameter to turbojets created in Germany.

From the standpoint of today, this installation on Er-2 had no prospects, since the flight speed was less than the estimated 800 km / h, which means that the real thrust of the VRDK is lower than the specified value.

From: LONG RANGE BOMBER Yer-2, Yakubovich Nikolay Vasilyevich

Thank you.

That powerplant arrangement reminds me of the Napier Nomad.

Hi,

that means it was a real Project right ?,if this is true,we could transfer it to a proper
section.

Hesham,

that was, in fact, a real but unbuilt project

Ref: UNFLOWN WINGS Gordon/Komissarov page 591

In 1944-46 attempts were made to develop a version of the Yer-2 with a powerplant combining the M-30B diesel engines with a quai-turbojets boosters. The combined powerplant was designated E-3130 and bench tests started in May, 1945. The flight test was to be conducted in a Ye-2. A full set of manufacturing drawings was issued but no prototype construction ensued and the work was halted in 1946

I haven't found any description on my Bill Gunston "The Osprey Encyclopedia of Russian Aircraft 1875-1995". The Ye-2 is on page 502

Neither on Bastion Russian Bomber encyclopedia. The Ye-2 is on Volume 2, pages 28 to 35

When did he write that?

I ask, because I have his Aircraft of the Soviet Union, and on page 407, the test variants are mentioned, including one powered by As 014 from V1 missiles(poor power, high drag, were the assessments), and a passenger carrying version. But not the one I'm trying to understand.

maxmwil,

"Aircraft of the Soviet" Union was the first edition, while "Encyclopedia of Russian Aircraft " was a revised 2nd edition. As I see both editions list the same variants and lack information about the mixed power project of your interest.

Thank you.

And, while it would've been nice to be able to find out a bit more on this(I actually can, because I've got a Russian publication on it, and, even though I can't read Cyrillic, I can deduce from the progression of photos and line drawings. I think the name of the magazine series is Aviakollektsiya, which, I think translates to aviation collection, and this is issue 1/2009, incase anyone else is interested in this. I also have a few issues of Aviatsia Vremya, and have been collecting Russian aviation publications for a while now.

Dear Maxmwill,

I can send to you this Russian book,but you need to translate it.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    637.9 KB · Views: 242
I thank you for your kind offer.

However, I find Russian far easier to understand than the Japanese books I also have, Maru Mechanic and FAOW(Famous Airplanes of the World), but, since there are also copious illustrations, photos, and plenty of numbers, I'm able to muddle through(numbers need no translation).

Do I pm you my address?

What do you like to build? Perhaps I might have a few books you could use.

Again, I thank you for your kind offer.

maxmwill said:
I thank you for your kind offer.

However, I find Russian far easier to understand than the Japanese books I also have, Maru Mechanic and FAOW(Famous Airplanes of the World), but, since there are also copious illustrations, photos, and plenty of numbers, I'm able to muddle through(numbers need no translation).

Do I pm you my address?

What do you like to build? Perhaps I might have a few books you could use.

Again, I thank you for your kind offer.

You misundersatnd me Maxmwill,I meant to send an E-book version of it.

Er-2 (E-3130) the missing front view is ten years ago in a "Half - Jet" thread https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2417.0/all.html
Reply #8, # 25

Yes and no, I misunderstood.

Yes, you offered to send me the book, no I did not realize that it was an ebook.

I was thinking "print" whilst you had an alternate in mind.

Either way, I thank you, because a book is a book no matter what media it is printed upon.

And an ebook is not dependent upon the Paste Orifice(the place where they "gum up the works". I enjoy puns) for its transmission.

And again, if the offer still stands, I thank you for your kind offer.

My apologies for any misunderstanding.